Going to Sandals in St. Lucia..Anyone ever been?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Richard_T, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

My girlfriend and I are going to the Sandals Grande St. Lucia in St. Lucia. We've been planning this trip since Christmas and now we're finally booked. We will be leaving on May18th and retuning on the 25th. Has anyone ever been to a Sandals resort or to St. Lucia? What should we see while we're there? Any help would be great!

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I went to St Lucia on a cruise and the island suprised me a bit. It's pretty but has alot of poverty and when you arrive you will be bombarded with people asking you to buy stuff. They swarm you like you have the word sucker stamped on your head. Its like buying a car almost.

We took a tour there riding in a jeep and that was quite nice. If you have the means to do that go ahead otherwise with all the stuff you can do at Sandals you may not want to leave your resort.

Weather wise you are going during a good time and it won't be THAT hot. SHould be mid 80's or low 90's. Bring a light waterproof jacket in case you get some storms rolling over which we did. The time of the year you are going is good because you are avoiding the hurricane season.

3. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

HURRICANE SEASON?? Yikes! I HOPE we miss that kind of weather. After what we paid for this trip, I wouldn't want the weather to ruin things. It's our first trip to the islands. I kind of thought they'd be all over us to buy stuff but I hear the locals are kept off the resort. We both are looking forward to a nice relaxing time away from our busy lives here at home. Thanks for the info Shane!

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

To My knowledge this is correct. The shopping there wasn't all that great either IMHO.

Hurricane season is usually August thru Early November so you are safe. The only thing you will worry about is a little rain here and there but honestly not enough to fret about. It should be quite sunny.

5. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

You might want to go to fodors.com and check out their Trip Talk area. Pretty good travel forum if you want to ask the same question or look up previous threads.

I've been to the Sandals in Negril, Jamaica but considered Sandals St. Lucia. We picked Negril because the price was a little lower and there was a more off-property activities to pick from. We enjoyed our stay at Sandals and would recommend it to most people.

6. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

My fiancee and I tried to book a flight to St. Lucia for our honeymoon the week of June 14th, but there were no available flights that week, so we had to settle for St. Thomas instead.

I've nothing but good things about St. Lucia. Try to go snorkeling if you have time. [​IMG]

7. Randy_Sh

Randy_Sh Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I went to Sandals St. Lucia Halcyon in May 2001. Halcyon is the smaller of the (2) resorts on the island.

We had a wonderful time. Service was awesome. Went to the Grande resort for dinner a few nights. Biggest difference is the Grande resort is really much much larger, but they both offer similar services, etc.

We took advantage of the free stuff that resorts offered, that is the snorkeling, catamarans, etc.

We also took a day sail around the island. Booked it through the resort. Very enjoyable. We also took a cab into one the towns, walked around a Market, checked out local stuff, went to the duty free shops where the cruise ships come in. Nothing spectacular.

People did try to get you to buy stuff, but if you said,
    "No thanks", they went on to their way. Their were some local folks on the beach at Halcyon selling but they really weren't that aggressive in my opinion.

Definitely go to google and do a search. Very easy to find a discussion forum specifically on the resorts.

Have fun!

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

9. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Try to take the helicopter from the airport to your resort (http://www.stluciahelicopters.com/). This is VERY COOL, inexpensive, and beats a 2 hour non-shock-absorber-equiped bus ride with the locals and their animals.

Movies filmed on St Lucia include WHITE SQUALL (the helicopter flies right over the ridge the boys run up in the movie), ROMANCING THE STONE (see the waterfall in the rainforest) and SUPERMAN II.

Tiny chirping frogs everywhere! YEH!

MC

10. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Wow that sounds cool Micah! Any idea how much this ride costs? The one thing I'm not looking forward to is the long ride to the resort. That would really be a blast! What about good buys in St. Lucia? Any ideas on where to shop while I'm there? I'm sure the resort will take us some place but it may be better to try some place different. What about booze? Is St. Lucia a rum island or something different?

11. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Booze is ultra cheap in the islands. St Lucia I don't remember had any worthwhile shops there to take advantage of the duty free oppurtunities while I was there. We spent most of our $$ at St Maarten and St Thomas.

They do sell alot of Banana Catsup [​IMG]

12. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Oh wait, I forgot the MOST IMPORTANT SECRET ABOUT SANDALS! But I'll get to that in a sec.

The helicopter ride is the COOLEST thing. It lasts only about 15 minutes, costs like $100 each way, and you get to see the whole island. It's one of those old bubble-cabin helicopters, so the ground rushes by beneath your feet, etc. It's thrilling. (I had never been on a helicopter before.) Completely worth the cost, especially because you skip the lousy -- and lice-y -- 2 hour bus ride, which is like the bus ride Michael Douglas takes in Fincher's THE GAME.

We left our resort (the smaller Sandals) only to go to the distillery (drive through the slums and banana plantations, see how rum is made, drink loads of samples) and the drive-thru volcano and rainforest, which was cool. We went to the bigger Sandals to eat at the other restuarants. Bring hot sauce, cause all the food is really bland (gotta please middle-american palettes), but very good.

Here's the Sandals Secret: You're lounging at the pool, and you swim up to the bar and you order a drink -- all inclusive, right? Make sure you say "DOUBLE RUM, PLEASE." For everything, no matter what, say "DOUBLE RUM, PLEASE." Rum is like water there, and they're making swirly drinks, and they just usually splash a little rum in them. Say "DOUBLE RUM, PLEASE," and your bartender (who will become your best buddy during your stay) will smile and nod and know you want a REAL DRINK. Soon, everyone else at the bar will hear and see you do this, and ask you why. And by then you will be completely PLASTERED and having a great time while they're still getting icee-headaches from trying to get drunk from their bit-o-rum slushees.

No matter what, no matter what time of day it is, no matter where you are, while ordering drinks at Sandals always say "DOUBLE RUM, PLEASE." It's key.

Also, if you ask at the front desk, they are more than happy to send champagne to your room anytime you want. No one tells you that, but all you have to do is ask.

"DOUBLE RUM, PLEASE!" WOO-HOO!

MC

13. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Wow, that's a secret worth remembering! We'll certainly try that while we are there. [​IMG] Thanks for the information. So would you all say that it's not really even worth going in to town to shop? I mean, I guess it's nice to see how the locals live but if I'm just wasting good "double rum" drinking time then why bother? I think we may pass on the heli ride though. A bit expensive after what we already paid for the trip.

14. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Another movie partially filmed in St. Lucia is Dr. Doolittle, the old one. Filmed at Marigot Bay where the Moorings charter boats are located. Very pretty bay if you are in that area. I only know St. Lucia from a sailboat so really only know Marigot Bay and Castries?

The bus rides are frightening in that the roads are skinny and mountainous.

I prefer St. Lucia above all else in the Carribbean with the exception of Bequia, Mayreau, and the Tobago Cays but those are hard to get to.

Enjoy!

15. Craig Dulany

Craig Dulany Extra

My wife and I spent our Honeymoon at the Sandals St. Lucia. We originally booked the highest grade room at the Halcyon, but after arriving they upgraded us to the Golf and Spa resort and a concierge suite. We were very happy, as the Halcyon seemed very mellow, and quite small. The room we had was up on the bluff, kind of secluded from the rest of the resort. I would highly recommend the day cruise to Soufriere (sp?), it takes you to the rainforest, volcano, and snorkeling. We also took a sunset cruise which was a blast, lots of free drinks and dancing. "Follow the leader, leader, Cha Cha Cha!"