What's new

going to san francisco/oakland area (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pug

Stunt Coordinator
i will be in Marin county for work and will have a morning to see something. Is it easy to get to the wharf area or somewhere else that is better??

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
To the Wharf, take 101 across the Golden Gate ($$$) and follow 101 thru town (Lombard St.), cross Van Ness and you are on the "crookedest street in the world". Go slow and admire the "painted ladies" as you go down. Then turn left on Taylor or Powell or whatever and you'll run right into the Wharf. You'll want to take Bay St. back to the GG though. Should take about a 1/2 hour or so. Or you can go across the Bay Bridge into Berkeley and check on Dave Mack to see if his house is still rockin'! Enjoy your stay.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
If you are coming from Marin County, right before you get on the Golden Gate Bridge, take the last exit and drive up the hill on your right (sorry, I forget the exit's name). You are on the Marin Headlands. You will be at one of the most spectacular spot to take a photo in San Francisco....the City in the background and behind you, nothing but the Pacific Ocean.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

If you want I can tell you how to get to a street that makes that one look straight!
Grant

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Don't forget the seals that hang out sunbathing. That's a good 5 maybe 10 minutes of entertainment right there.:D

I agree with the sentiments of Grant B. The wharf is way overrated. It takes about 30 mins or less to achieve "been there, done that" status. If you're looking to buy a souvenir shot glass then that's the place to go.

San Fransisco has a lot of great shopping if you would rather spend your time doing that.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

Note: Street rating is NC17 not recommended for 1st time tourists and those that scoff at immoral sex acts.

Actually it's only a couple blocks of Polk Street.

The New Deyoung Museum in GGP is now open. You can actually go in and see quite a lot without even buying a ticket. Have a drink at the cafe and checkout the store inside and 3 hours are gone easy.

Or come to my neighborhood and don't forget to wear flowers in your hair (we will mock you of course).

On Haight near Stanyan is Amoebe records which has over a million titles in stock (Tower Records I have been told stocks about 40,000).
Buy a Star map at 'Haight Mail' and visit the house where Charlie Manson use to live! Also Miss Monroe during her heyday, the Mensheviks Embassy and even a few characters from Anne Rice novels.
Go to Sam's for dinner near the Powell cable car turn around. It's where Dashiell Hammett wrote The Maltese Falcon sitting at the bar mostly.

A few suggestions but just have fun no matter what

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

One of the best record/CD shops on the planet. Note, I'm not exaggerating. In fact, I'm off to spend some money in there right now.

I'm pretty much a noob to San Francisco myself, so I don't have the local knowledge Grant does, but as a tourist, I'd suggest a *quick* visit to the Wharf (30 mins is an exaggeration, 15 will give you time to see everything worth seeing), Union Square if you want to shop, a walk down near Haight & Ashbury and a drive through the Presidio upto the Golden Gate (if the weather's nice). I love the Presidio, it's a real jewel in the city.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
When we were there, we did the long city drive which has signs on the road to guide you. We got to see alot of greater SF and it was great to do that on a Saturday morning. We ended up eating at a nice little restaurant on the coast called Louie's. Great little breakfast place. Over by the Sutro Baths.

For dinner we ate at the famous Sears which was great:
http://www.themenupage.com/sears.html

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't think so. As I recall, and I could be wrong about this, I think one of them shot the other one quite a few years ago. This caused all sorts of problems. The one in Hayward was remodeled into a thrift store for awhile. Not sure what it is now.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

Yes, it's still open that last time I pass through the area.

Emilio Estevez directed a movie about the Mitchell Brothers, with him and Charlie Sheen taking the title roles.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

It's a great place to meet Japanese tourists.
Great America Music Hall is next door(1890s Bordellos make great venues to watch bands)

When I was waiting to get in at least 3 or 4 japanese tourist buses rolled up but nobody else.
A buddy of mine went there a few years back and the admission price was incredible back then.
Not sure if they still open, but many moons ago the wall with the fish mural use to have windows that opened on the 2nd floor. Waiting for the light to change I would see the windows swing open and one of the girls would put on a great freeshow.....needless to say I missed that green light

Back around 1987 I found out that Hunter S Thompson was the night manager and the gift shop sold a video tape of him. I went down there and picked it up (it was the one thing that didn't vibrate).
Amazing tape; mostly of HST using flame throwers and huge weapons helped by topless strippers from the Theater. I gave it to my girlfriend at the time and regret it ever since.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all! My house stopped a'rockin' but I just saw a news report a few days back that basically said that seismologists fear that the Hayward fault, (the one that is 5 blocks from my apt!) is LOCKED AND LOADED for a MAJOR, we're talkin' 7.0 quake. Could come any day now.

YIKES!

Anyways, having now lived in both SF and in Berkeley I'd say do a day in Berkeley, maybe Tilden Park, the hills, downtown but stick in SF. Berkeley goes to sleep at 9pm unless you're a CAL college student.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Dave I've lived here for 41 years and they have been saying the same thing ever year. It's the truth that the fault could go at any time but so could any of the dozens that are in the area.

You just have to live with the fact that is could happen and hope that it doesn't. Have your spare water and food ready because when it does hit it’s every man for himself.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
True, Patrick. Except that every year that goes by without one increases the chances! ;)

Yes, we need to get stocked up.

d

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.