Going to Polk speakers and I need reassurance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jose Robles, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Jose Robles

Jose Robles Agent

I'm planning on upgrading all of my speakers to Polk Audio but I wanted to get peoples' reassurrances on the ones that I plan to buy. One thing though, I can't go all out and purchase them all at once. They have to be bought a bit at a time as this is the only way the wife will let me do it.

The first thing I wanted to get is a sub since I don't have one. The PSW350 has caught my eye and I wanted to get this this weekend since Future Shop up here in Canada has it on sale for $579. Now I know that I should probably be looking at the SVS and believe me that I have but I just can't fork over that much dough right now and my living room just doesn't quite have the room for that right now. The regular "box" style does in fact fit under a table in the corner.

So I'll be getting a sub this weekend, then a few months down the road I'd like to replace my two main towers (something called KLA Accoustics and they're 12 years old) with RT600is. The surrounds would be the fx300i which would be a few months after that. And then finally I'd get the centre channel which would be the CS400i.

So, what do you guys think? Is this setup ok?

Jose

2. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

Welcome to the forum!

If you check my equpiment page you'll see I'm all for Polk Audio. A few of us on here prefer the older silk dome polks to the newer tri-lams. Then of course there are lots that prefer the tri-lams to the silk domes.

In fact, I probably wouldn't have even responded other than to say, "Yea Polk is good" but then I read about your sub considerations.

I have never really given Polk subs a chance. I know they don't get much press, they aren't regarded very highly and they are expensive. The upper $500 range really has a lot of options. Oddly I don't know any off the top of my head but I know there are. Someone will chime in on other sub choices in the upper 500s.

BTW, I totally agree with the concept of gradual upgrading to reduce intial capital expenditure. Doesn't that sound smart? I am on the lower end of quality home audio and I try to never spend more than $400 at a time.

Lastly, I think you would be better off picking up a center before your surrounds. The 400i is a very good center, I have had the cs175i (bad bad off axis response) and I currently have the cs245(much better, it has 2 midrange drivers).

So there ya go, a long winded post from a guy slacking on the job, using company time, company computers, and company bandwidth.

Jon

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I concur with Jon. I use 800 mains, RT55 for the rear and the older CS-350 for the center. They're good speakers and I don't think you'll be disappointed. However I too have reservations on the sub but I can't provide help there also other than recommend you look around a bit. Also, a good center is important, I too recommend picking up that CS-400 before the surrounds.

4. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Although I have an all-Polk system (and love it), I really can't recommend their subwoofers for the price. At that price point, you should probably go with a Velodyne or maybe an Adire Audio sub. I bought the PSW-350 before I really knew any better, and though it does have a fair (albeit slightly muddy and boomy) sound, I've since learned that I could have done far better for the price. My boss has the $150 Sony SA-WM40 sub, and honestly, I can't say that my PSW-350 sounds significantly better than the Sony. I'm selling the PSW-350 in a few weeks and getting an SVS 20-39.

However, Polk makes some excellent speakers for the price, and I highly recommend them.

5. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Also add the Hsu VTF-2 sub to your short list in that price range. Or you can get an SVS in the $700 range to take it up a notch further. Don't know about Polk subs, just that they get little recognition.

6. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy there is a post you should read concering that other polk guy and the R10s, you responded in the thread. I'm too lazy to find/cut/paste and if you are too lazy to go read it, then that is clearly lazy.
    Don't be so lazy! Its in the speaker section
    [​IMG]

7. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

I've got the PSW450 and love it. The bass is tight and precise. I have the RT800I for my main speakers and the RT600i for rears, again I think they are a great. I do not think you willbe disapointed.

8. Howard Smith

Howard Smith Auditioning

I think for the money they are a great value.My sysyem has 800i for mains,400i for center,fx-300 for surrounds,and 20-39PC sub.Lots of great deals or polk right now check CC for closeouts also namebrandz.com has some great prices on polk.I think 400 was the best center for the money,the 800's are fine with a good sub.

Not that many Polk fans on the forums (little too J6P for em)but for the money I like the sound.

9. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

A lot of people nock Polk speakers due to large mainstream stores sell them...and that automaticaly turns them off. Rest assured... they are great speakers and you should get years of enjoyment out of them.

With that said... You may think about the RT35i's for the fronts and probably for your surrounds.. Reason I say this is due to the price difference in the 600 vs the 35..IMO the the 35 will imagae a tad better.... The fx300's are great..thought the tweeters wont match..you'd have to go to the fx500's for that.. may even think about rt25is for surround.. excellent speakers.

For the Center... I'd stick with the cs400i.. its an amazing speaker and I truely love mine!

Polk subs have never impressed me.. for a few dollars more you could get a velodyne wich will smoke the polks..wich to me..are very muddy!

One thing to consider...Polk is about to bring out its newer RT line...there will be discounting the newer line.. the newer line..the tweeters are diff... new silk vs. the metal .. wich may bring a diff. in timber matching..

anyway..just some ideas .. I've been using the Polks for over a year now..and love em..so dont worry.... just enjoy

10. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

Well, not to be contrary, but if I lived in Canada I would put the Paradigm Reference series against any other bang-for-buck offering out there.

--Steve

11. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

If you like their sound then that's all the assurance you need. I have Polk's in the family room HT set-up and downstairs in the kids rec room HT set-up. Obviously I'm sold on them, they offer great sound and value, quality construction, and excellent customer support. Like Thomas_A pointed out, Polk in coming out with a new RT line, so now might be the time to look around for some real good prices on the previous RTi line. Both the RT35i and RT25i are excellent recommendations worth considering. They have also recently introduced their LSi line aimed at the higher end bracket.

12. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I think you should also take a look at the paradigm line, I could be wrong but have you gone to small shops around Toronto to see what they could do for you? I know too mnay people that only go to Future Shop, and let me tell you they are NOT helpfull and their prices CAN and WILL be beaten buy a small dealer.

I haven't heard the polk sub myself but for $575 I think you could get a PSB or the velodyne(at future shop), and it they are a little better.

Come to think of it, I picked up a paradigm PS-1200 for less than $600, shop around for a demo or something, you can get an awesome sub for that price.

13. Jose Robles

Jose Robles Agent

First I'd like to say thanks to everyone who responded with their commments and suggestions. Second, I'd like to say that I made my purchase this afternoon.
    I went to a local dealer around here to try out both the PSW350 and the Velodyne CHT-10 based on some recommendations. Well, when I got to the store they didn't have either of the speakers for me to listen to even though they carry them. I was ready to go to Future Shop when the guy told me that they had a PSW450 and that I could have it for $475CDN (their cost) because it was their last one on the floor. I thought about it and thought that it wasn't such a bad idea since this resulted in me spending $100 less than I planned to and would score major bonus points with the wife. [​IMG] Plus it was like getting a free upgrade.
    So, I've settled for Polk for the sub. I know that they aren't well regarded for their subs but at that price, I just couldn't resist. I think once I finish my basement and setup a "real" home theatre down there, I'll purchase an SVS. For now, the Polk is in the living room and it certainly feels pretty good.
    I do have some questions about it though. I have a Technics SA-DX940 receiver which has an LFE output. I'm curious though as to what the proper kind of wiring method I'm supposed to be using. The guy at the store told me to use a Y splitter at my receiver and then plug the two RCA cables into the back of the sub. I did however notice that there's an option for connecting it via just one cable. I think this is the filtered vs unfiltered option. Since this is my first sub, I have no clue which method is better for my current setup. Anyone have any recommendations as to the prefered/optimal wiring method? And my other question is what position the frequency knob should be set at.
    Also, I SO need to calibrate my equipment and I was wondering what equipment I need to do that. I've heard mentioned something about an SPL meter from Rat Shack and some DVD.
    Again, thanks to everyone for you inputs and thanks for answering the questions above.
    Jose

14. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

You need Avia or Video Essentials to help you calibrate your system, along with a Radio Shack SPL meter. Just do a search for calibration here and you'll find tons of posts on the subject. Look in the hardware, speakers, and subwoofer sections.

15. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

I have a 12 year old pair of their bookshelves that I am quite fond of but haven't been as pleased with their newer offerings, just a coupla cents

16. Emmett Maguire

Jose, congrats on your purchase. I run Polks, rt2000, rt10's for surround and cs400 for center. They're a great product. Not to confuse you but just another 2cents, I would go with the surrounds before the center. My reasoning is that it would get you started in surround sound and you could set your receiver for an artificial center channel if you have the capabillities. I upgraded step by step and I felt that this gave me the most satisfaction. I also got lucky and got a good deal on the cd400 from my local Brick store. The previous posts are correct, this is a great speaker and I wouldn't be without it. When the time comes, get the best for your buck the cs400 or cs400i. I have also added a single rt35i for a rear surround and they are great speakers as well.

Regards all

EJ

17. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Jose, I would tell you to go for it for the mains and surrounds ext but myself I would stay away from their subs.
    I currently have a 7.1 system with all polk rt55i for front mains,front surrounds ,& rear surrounds,& a cs400i for my center and must say I love these speakers,but like others have said their subs a far over priced for what they are worth...my .02[​IMG]

18. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

In the words of the immortal Sam Kinnison;
    DO IT, DO IT!
    [​IMG]
    Actually I'm a big Polk fan and I seriously think they are under rated for providing good quality sound and an affordable price point.
    I'm about to purchase the LSi line and I couldn't be happier.
    Troy