What's new

going to pick up a DVD player tomorrow. Circutcity/bestbuy... what ones NOT to get ?? (1 Viewer)

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
well going to look @ dvd players tomorrow probably going to buy one. looking to spend under $200. any DVD players i should not look at that have problems or anything you might know of. also im only looking at getting a single disc unit.

any info would be appreciated !! thanks.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Jason,
What qualities do you want out of the player?
I looked at the site quick but they really don't offer tons.
The only one that looks half way decent is the Toshiba SD4800 or maybe the Panasonic RP62s. If you can save up some money you might want to look at the following for some info on DVD players if you haven't already: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...ch&articles=5.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Since I got my Technics DVD-A10 I've become a big fan of Panasonic DVD players. I don't think you can go wrong with the Panasonic badge. My Sony DVD player screws up once in a while.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Problem w/ using that link (for the Secrets Shootout) is that nearly all the players reviewed are either no longer available OR simply not available at CC/Best Buy OR well over the $200 limit you have.

Having said all that, it seems you can expect more or less the same performance from current JVC players as the ones reviewed in the earlier Shootouts. But the new Panny players are quite different from the ones in that link. Still, you may find them good enough, especially for

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
yeah i see that most of them have a MSRP of 229 roughly. thats not to bad if i go a little over.

there is alot of hifi shops around i might beable to find them panys at.

i basically just want one that works good and doesnt screw up alot. i know my dads kenwood 5 disc screws up once in a great while it just wont read a disc sometimes. same with my HK.

so i want one thatll work all the time.
guess ill go check out the hifi shops and might just hold on buying one till later in the week.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I am very happy with my Sony DVP-NC655P progressive scan 5 disc changer. I think they lowered the price to $199. There is also a newer version that plays SACD but I am not sure if it is out yet. I think it would run around $250.

Mark

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Problem w/ using that link (for the Secrets Shootout) is that nearly all the players reviewed are either no longer available OR simply not available at CC/Best Buy OR well over the $200 limit you have.
Yes, that is true but I wanted Jason to see the info...

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
If you can go as high as $250, I would recommend the Sony 755 DVD/SACD player. I have this one and it is a nice entry-level machine if you are interested in SACD.

Al Holland

Grip
I just purchased a JVC 44SL. I previously compared Panasonic 62 and Sony 715. I prefer the JVC in either progressive or non progressive.
Best of all I paid $89 for the JVC and it does not have the chroma bug.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My brother has the Dream 770 system, we watched some of "Beauty and the Beast" over the weekend. I've never seen a more apparent chroma bug problem than Gaston's red shirt during the opening song.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks