Going To New York

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Shannon, May 1, 2004.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Well, I'll be going to New York next week with my school, as a part of a social sciences trip (really no educational value, but oh well). I'll be leaving this coming Tuesday morning (the 4th), and returning on friday. Suffice it to say, I'm extremely excited about this, as I've never been into New York City. Been to the state a couple times, but only for camping and such.

We're going through a tour company, so it's not as if we'll be in a yellow bus with a couple teachers acting as makeshift tour guides. It seems as though every minute of the day we'll have something to do, from a guided tour of Manhatten, Times Square, MTV, NBC Studios, Radio City (and that's all as soon as we arrive), etc, to a Broadway performance of The Lion King (which is great, because it recently stopped playing here in Toronto).

So anyways, I gues what I'm getting at, does anyone have any suggestions that I could take to better enjoy my stay in the Big City for the few days I'll be there?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Man sounds like they pretty much got it all planned out. Rounding out any NYC trip with a Broadway show is fail-proof unless you guys get mugged. [​IMG]

Bring a camera, and leave your stomach empty because the city offers the best variety of food in the world imo. Eat all you can, especially the cheescake! [​IMG]

3. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Like Scott said, get ready to feast on the best foods in the world, that is of course if you venture out of the touristy areas.

Also depending on how old you are I can recommned you some other places [​IMG]

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Guggenheim is a must-see as well. The Prada store in SOHO is good for architectual giggles.

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

If you avoid the tourist-trap hell that is Time's Square (with requisite $14 hamburgers), you'll find the rest of the city is much cheaper, has better food, and isn't nearly as crowded.

Don't worry about getting bored. Theres more to do in NYC that any tour will ever have time to show you. Hell, I could live an exciting life if I never left Chinatown (Or the East Village, SOHO, Harlem, you name it).

And don't worry about going hungry,You could live there for a year, and not eat a meal in the same restaurant twice.

And, believe it or not, NYC has to be the safest city I've been in. Not once, even while staggering drunk betwixt bars at 2am on a friday did I ever feel that i was in any danger.

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

PS: I just read that the tour is in Time's Square.

Stop by Toys R Us, they have a life-sized animatronic T-Rex and a ferris wheel!

7. Mark Shannon

Heh, yeah, I plan on bringing my digital camera (and plenty of batteries). As for venturing out of the tourist areas, I doubt that'll happen. Keep in mind we're all between 16-18 years old, and teachers can be a real pain in the ass.

As for the food, I'm really looking forward to it. We have about 2 hours free before we go to see the play, so some friends and I were planning on finding a nice restaurant, and having a meal.

I'll be bringing about $150 for food to last the 4 days. I will have other money, but at least $150 will be dedicated to the food.

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

That'll buy a pick-up truck bedload of "Famous Original Ray's" pizza, or drinks at some of Manhattans swankiest bars.

My NYC food-tips:

1. Get real NYC pizza. The pizzeria must have "Ray" somewhere in the name.

2. Try a fahlafal

3. Buy sushi at a restaurant with no roman-alphabet characters on the front of the building.

4. Get a hotdog w/ everything from a pushcart. Live the tourist dream!

5. World famous Grand Central "Oyster Bar" if you happen to be near GC.

6. Don't get the warm roasted peanuts from the pushcart. They make your hands sticky all day and nobody wants to carry half a bag of honey-almonds.

9. Mark Shannon

1. Get real NYC pizza. The pizzeria must have "Ray" somewhere in the name. For sure! I must have an authentic NY Pizza...heh

2. Try a fahlafal another definite...waht is a fahlafal anyways?

3. Buy sushi at a restaurant with no roman-alphabet characters on the front of the building. Um...ew...I don't eat any seafood, raw or cooked

4. Get a hotdog w/ everything from a pushcart. Live the tourist dream! Do they have those in Times Square?

5. World famous Grand Central "Oyster Bar" if you happen to be near GC. Nope, not near GC, but again, no to seafood, heh.

6. Don't get the warm roasted peanuts from the pushcart. They make your hands sticky all day and nobody wants to carry half a bag of honey-almonds. are those similar to beer nuts?

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    If you can eat anywhere you want but are near times square, you are morally compelled to eat at VIRGILS!

Virgils is the official unofficial eatery of the Ron Epstein DVD tour, missed as they are!

Sam

11. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Watch Midnight Cowboy before you leave for the big city. [​IMG]

12. Mark Shannon

Well posten, if I don't get a chance to eat there, I'll certainly make a note of it to take a picture when we're in Times Square.

13. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

Find it in advance and make a reservation. There are plenty of good places to eat in the Times Square/theatre district, but it's usually tough to just drop in and get a table before the shows (when they are most busy)

14. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Like Chinese? Ollie's, 44th and Broadway.

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'm going late next week for 4 days or so as well.

Are there any decent tour guides(books) I can buy that will make sure I don't get lost? My wife will be with me for the first 3 days but I will have a day on my own to explore and want to do some walking! but not too much. I'm just trying to be efficient [​IMG]

16. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

Don't forget your rollerskates!

(cheap joke from Hannah and her sisters.)

17. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

He's not old enough yet. [​IMG]