Going to New York City! What to do??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Wright, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

I'll be in New York City the 21st-24th for the Linux World Expo. This will be my first trip east of Montana [​IMG], so I'm likely in for a little culture shock.
    I've got plenty of questions!
    1. I'll be staying at the New York Marriott Marquis @ 1535 Broadway St - is this a decent hotel? At $200 a night, it better be.
    2. I'm sure there is plenty to do. I'll have some free time on my hands -- Are there any "must-sees"?
    3. Tell me all about restaurants. Where are some great places to eat near the hotel? I'm not into fine dining and won't be bringing a suit along, so I'll be looking for tasty, informal type restaurants. I'd really like to know where I can get a delicious burger, cheese-steak, pizza, etc.
    4. Any places or events to avoid?
    5. Lastly, any tips for getting around the city, or information in general on any subject relating to visiting New York, would be appreciated. I have no problem taking a taxi everywhere I go - cost isn't an issue, but I'll need to know how much cash to bring for transportation, etc. I have no plans nor the desire to rent a car.
    Thank you!

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Ryan,

I will leave the sight seeing and must see places up to people that live in NY as they can often give you ideas that are not just normal touristy things to do. I can tell you that you will have a good time. New York city has anything you could possibly want pretty much available to you 24x7. Best of luck in NY.

KyleS

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The best tasty, informal restaurant is definately Katz's Deli on the Lower East Side. The best corned beef or pastrami sanwich you'll ever have (don't believe the Carnegie Deli hype) and real reasonable for the size of the meal (under $10 for lunch and about 3/4 lb. of corned beef on the sandwich). Special HTF connection - sit at the table where Meg Ryan had her "outburst" in "When Harry Met Sally".

Must sees - Ground Zero, Statue of Liberty, Central Park and surrounding museums (Gugenheim etc.), Times Square, the list is endless.

Make sure you stop by McSorely's tavern for a pint or 2 (or 8). Just don't order anything but a 'light' or a 'dark'(they only serve their own brew). Cheaper and more "real New York" than 20 Hard Rock Cafe's. Drink fast enough and they'll kick the slow drinkers out and give you their seats. Carve your name in the table top for posterity.

Taxis are very cheap in the city, usually less than $10 to get anywhere.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The Marriot Marquis is excellent. They deal in high volume though so customer service isn't quite up to par with the more higher priced hotels (ie- Plaza) but ohhhhh what a view. [​IMG] I've stayed there twice, along with the Plaza and Double Tree right across the street and the Marquis is the only place I plan to go to from now on.
    I'm not sure but I think they're still showing the play "Thoroughly Modern Milly" there. I saw it during the holidays and loved it. The kiosk in the middle of Times Square sells discounted unsold tickets to people if you're willing to wait in line earlier in the cold morning.
    The Playwright Cafe hidden in the back of Times Square (Samsung side) is great with not overly expensive prices. Also the Tavern on the Green in Central park is great if you're bringing your SO.
    If you want THE hamburger try the $41 burger at Old Homestead Restaurant. Link

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

First time east of Montana? Wow...
    I definitely recommend heading down to Chinatown. You can get there by taking the 8th Avenue Subway Line (the A, C, or E train) to Canal St. It will dump you off right on Avenue of the Americas, which is a short walk from the Ground Zero site and is right next to Chinatown.
    The best place to eat in Chinatown is a place called, no lie, the Big Wong Restaurant [​IMG] They have an excellent Dim Sum lunch! Just keep in mind that most places in Chinatown do not accept Credit Cards.
    Probably half of my computer books were purchased in Chinatown. I bought the "Linux Kernel Source Code" book (if you're a Linux guy I'm sure you know what this is) for $5, and several C# and .NET books for between $5 and $10 a piece (all these books have a suggested retail of between $50 and $100). All books are in mint shape. The only thing that stinks about this is having to carry them around all day [​IMG]

7. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

8. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

www.zagat.com or go to the bookstore and buy the NYC guide. New Yorkers eat out more than any other people in the country and talk about picky!
    I'll be there too and first night we're going for Ukrainian at a place in the east village. Any kind of food you've ever imagined from Albanian to Zambian is there.
    People in New York only rent cars to get out of the city. No other reason. Most people in Manhattan don't even own a car and some have never driven in their lives. Don't even THINK about getting a car. You won't get anywhere.

9. Iver

Iver Second Unit

If you're going to ride mass transit more than three times per day ($1.50 per token), get a $4.00 unlimited "Fun" pass.

Katz is okay if you don't mind getting treated like a tourist. But for the best kosher deli sandwich in the city, don your yarmulke and head down to the Second Avenue Deli on Second and Tenth Street.

Right across the street, you can see Saint Marks in the Bowery Church where Patti Smith got her start. Peter Stuyvesant lies at rest in the church's burial ground and several eighteenth-century houses are on the same block as the church.

While in the neighborhood, you might check out Kim's Video on Saint Mark's Place. It has a fairly extensive selection of DVD's and VHS tapes for sale and is especially good for finding stuff you won't find at Tower (and you know Christmas just won't be Christmas if you don't get mom that GG Allin tape she's always wanted!).

To try something different, there's an Afghani restaurant on the same block as Kims. A couple blocks away, on Sixth Street between Second and First, there's a whole row of Indian restaurants which are a lot of fun and very inexpensive.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a destination unto itself. In addition to the embarrassment of riches of its permanent collection, it has several temporary special-interest shows where they have rounded up the best-of-the-best from museums and private collections all over the world. The current Art of Genghis Khan exhibition, for example, is great.

They also have the entire Egyptian Temple of Dendur.

Plus daily lectures, movies, and more, much, much more.

There's really not much to see now at Ground Zero. Probably the most interesting thing is the 11-September-related display at the church a block away, at Broadway and Fulton.

While you're at that corner, cross the street to Park Row and visit J&R Music World which is actually divided into several stores in a series of buildings. The CD and DVD selection is gigantic. The computer store is fun too, for all the latest gadgets. The audio and video store is pretty decent too (where else can you see the latest Samsung HD-ready TV?).

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I second the St Mark Place recommendation. #6 train to Astor Plaza and walk South East from there. Anything in the village, heck, anything South of 14th St is a must see IMO [​IMG].
    --
    Holadem

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Watch what you buy in Chinatown, it's wall to wall bootlegs

If you're into gaming, I recommend Elizabeth Center. Go down into the basement and you'll find hordes of import games and systems

12. StephenK

StephenK Stunt Coordinator

Ryan,
    I envy anyone who gets to visit NY for the first time.
    1) Check out this old thread, some really good food recommendations in it.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=101050
    2) Places to visit, things to do:
    The obvious tourist stuff:
    Empire state bldg is still worth it
    Expect 2-3 hour wait time for the Statue of Liberty, esp on the weekends, unless you're part of the first group (you need to be there REALLY early).
    3) If you got the dosh, a helicopter tour is very nice, it's exp though, $160 for a 15 min tour. Nothing compares to flying aroung NY at on a clear night.
    Enjoy

13. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

New York city?!! git a rope.

14. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

Hi Ryan,

I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay in our big city. Lots of great stuff has been listed, so I'll add one more:

Catch a movie at the Ziegfeld theater. It's amazing!

15. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

16. StephenK

StephenK Stunt Coordinator

Ryan,
    Re: helicopter,
    unfortunately, it's 160 per person. If you're still interested:
    www.libertyhelicopters.com
    yes, subways are 24/7 though depending where you're coming from, I'd recommend a taxi after midnight

17. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    VIRGILS!

Sam

18. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

19. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

They have food at McSorely's??? Can't say I remember any, but I never went there for food. To clarify my Hard Rock reference, I wasn't saying they had good food, I was just comparing the experience of "real New York" vs. the "Hard Rock Cafe experience". I do admit the cheese, crackers and mustard sound good. They must not have placed any at our table because they couldn't find room amongst all the glasses of ale. [​IMG]
    Last time I was in, we ordered 4 lights and 4 darks for 8 people (all from Boston). The waiter replied in a thick brogue "You'll have 8 lights and 8 darks, laddie, and you'll like it. What do you think we're running here a coffee shop in Cambridge?" I told my friends (most of them newbies) to drink them fast and order 16 more. We got seated at a table 2 minutes later. The table's prior occupants were asked to leave and "go find a coffee shop to sip in".

20. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor