What's new

Going to my first NASCAR race, what to expect? (1 Viewer)

Eric Brunton

Agent
I am leaving this thursday for my first NASCAR race at Talladega, AL. I was wondering what I should prepare for, (e.g. ear protection, what i can take into the track, the best place to sit and so on.) Any info would help. Thanks!

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Take ear plugs and beer, lots of it. And sunscreen too. I got really sunburned at the first one I went too.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Ear plugs. It's nice to hear the roar, but it gets old, fast.

Peace Out~:D

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Talledaga was also my first Nascar race and I was astounded at several things I witnessed there.
1) Traffic getting in
2) How many people make a three day event out of it
3) How many people just go there to party and get drunk
4) How many people... period
5) Traffic getting out. Be prepared to wait a couple of hours before trying to leave. We grilled out after the race.....
6) Just how crazy some people are about Nascar.... most of them with mullets...LOL
7) The most amazing thing to me was how different it is in person.... you will not be bored.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Yeh it's a little different than a football game. Everyone brings their truck to show off. Plus there are sometimes 160K people in the 'stadium'.

I don't fit in with the crowd at all. I don't wear shirts that have every single inch covered by NASCAR graphics, nor do I yell "sheeeeeit look at that truck, now that's bad ass! That looks like a 3 inch lift, I wonder if you can buy them on layaway"

It was fun anyway. The women at these events, not that great though.

Bruce N

Second Unit
The first lap after the start of the race when the pack comes by for the first time at full speed you will not f*cking believe it!

Be well rested.
Drink lots of water (and beer).
Wear sunblock.
Get some earplugs.
If you sit down low near the track you will be filthy by the end of the race.
Forget all the stereotypes and HAVE FUN!

Bruce

Leroy

Second Unit
Nice to see a lot of stereo-typing of Nascar fans :thumbsdown:

I'm hoping to be there this weekend too, totally sweet Tower grandstand seats midway up on the aisle in centered in front of pit road!!!

I went to my first Nascar race (have been to NHRA and CART events) at Dallas this year. Expect crowds of people wherever you go, get to the parking areas early(I mean hours ealry)and prepare to leave late.

Try and rent a radio and headphones so you can listen to the drivers communicating with their pits, and listen to the commentators calling the race (plus it helps drown out the INSANE sound of the cars).

Also, bring your own drinks(check www.talladegasuperspeedway.com for cooler size restrictions) to avoid paying the usual high concession prices, you can also sneak in some snacks.

And, while there are some stereotypical fans, most are very personable and fun to talk to in the stands, especially when you get a good mix of differnt driver fans.

Me and my cousin already have a built in rivalry, I'm a Hendricks guy(Gordon, Johnson, Labonte, Nemecheck) and he's a DEI guy. We were surrounded by Stewart and Jarret fans so it was a fun time.

Like Bruce said, the first time the field goes by at speed...WOW :D Like nothing else!

And, if you happen to have a favorite driver, bring plenty of $$ for souveniers. Not only do you have the official driver/team haulers on the premises just outside you have hundreds of other merhcandise vendors to choose from.

If you don't have tickets already(since you're asking where to sit) try and get tickets at least midway up the grandstands. The lower you are the less of the track you actually get to see. And of course the higher up the stands you go the higher the $$. Also, if you plan on drinking beer, some tracks have "family" stands where no drinking is allowed so if that's a problem make sure to ask.

Most of all be prepared to have a really good time. Nothing like seeing a race live.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
LOL Jack...

I'd also bring a raincoat, looks like it might rain there on Sat.

And patience. Traffic is terrible, especially at Talladega where the old motor homes struggle to make it over the hills. I made the mistake of driving to the Mercedes plant in Vance, AL one sunday night after a race, and will NEVER do that again. Pure hell.

So bring a grill and enjoy.

David McGough

Second Unit
Beads, lots of Beads. Leave the wife/girlfiend at home.
Scanner or radio head set. If you want to know what is going on. Fag bag... The kind you strap around you and keep up with
you stuff. Money take lots of money in case you head to Bham
teddy bears.. I mean.... well nver mind
Have fund behave and trim you mulliett.
Dave

wally

Second Unit
Eric,

I'd like to see a report when you return.

I've been to a CART race and would love to burn some of my FF miles to attend a NASCAR event. I worked on a project with the guys from Bud Racing last year and have been following Jr. since.

I agree, seeing a car 50 feet away blast past you at 200 MPH is nothing like watching it on TV. Ya have to be there and I plan on it next season.

For some of the NASCAR vets, what is the best way to purchase tickets? Can you get race/hotel packages?

Hope we see a fifth consecutive victory at Talladega for #8:emoji_thumbsup:

GO JR!!!

Race safe y'all

Chris Knox

Stunt Coordinator
My first race was the Coca Cola 600 in Charlotte, and let me tell you, I had the time of my life. As a matter of fact, to hell with the race. The race is just a formality. By the time you get through the parking area cookouts and pre-race shows (The Army turned the track into a warzone just prior to the race!) and everything else you are hammered and wore out and have already had the time of your life. That whole weekend was one of the best times I ever had! The day before all of downtown Charlotte was shut down to traffic and they had the Doobie Brothers on one end, Faith Hill on the other, and Boston on another. The whole downtown area was a massive festival and everyone is having a blast.

When they make that first lap pass down the front straightaway, That's it! You are a NASCAR fan for life! I don't care who you are or what your tastes are, at that moment, you've just had a religious experience. it's like being in the center of a thundercloud.

If you know nothing about NASCAR or have never even heard of any of the drivers, I promise you'll pick a favorite before that first race is over.

Prepare to be converted!

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator
I just went to the Dover, DE race this past wekend. Did not really want to go...but I have to say I had a total blast (my better half, she is completely hooked now :D ) . TV really does no justice to the racing. I was floored by the noise and speed these cars run at. We had great seats. Right in front of pit lane, 5 rows up.

Prepare to get real dirty though.

DonnyD summed it up perfectly.

Here is the best mullet I found:

http://www.fototime.com/AA0BD0A5844AA64/standard.jpg

And some general pics I took:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/5248975B81838F3

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
The races I would love to see are the ones held at the Bristol track. The first time I watched a race on that track on TV, I thought "No way! It'll be a demolition dearby!"

And it usually is! :D

Leroy

Second Unit
Oooh...I'd love to go to Bristol or Martinsville...shortrack racing ...:emoji_thumbsup:

Looks like I'm definately headed to Talladega this weekend. Here's who I'm hoping takes the checkers...

This is Gordon going down the backstretch at Dallas earlier this year, great finish with him and Jr. battling for second the last 10 or so laps. And he really is going by at an insane rate of speed!!

Here's a few more:
Gordon Hi-Res.
Sadler after greeting the wall.
Bobby Labonte
The field coming by during a caution.

Wally, Ebay may be the best way to get good tickets, as a lot of the premier tracks sell out early. As for Hotels, if you don't mind a little drive to the track the morning of race day it is a whole lot cheaper to stay about an hour away from your planned destination. Our rooms for Talladega were going to be around $120 a night (Motel 6 type of place)so instead we are gonna camp at one of the State Parks for $15 a night. More $$ for food and souveniers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks