What's new

Going to Munich for a year, leaving in less than a month (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I will be going to Munich for a study abroad program for a year and I've never been to Europe before or traveled on an international flight. In fact the only other country I've been to is Canada and since I live about a half an hour from the boarder that is not saying much.

Looking for advice from those who live in or have been to Germany/Munich. I will be living in the city and attending about half my classes at LMU, What are living expenses like? How expensive are items in stores compared to here? For example I need to do some clothes shopping for the fall would it be cheaper to buy there? I understand that prepaid cell phones are quite popular what are the rates like? What about calling home what's the cheapest way? What are some of the must see spots in Munich/Bavaria?

Any other random advice is greatly welcomed. Thanks for helping this nutcase prepare for a hopefully awesome year.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
OMG, you will be there for Oktoberfest:D I think that pretty much covers it. I have only visited Munich as a tourist(a long time ago). It was beautiful. You will have a chance to do so much in Germany, and a lot of Europe is just a train ride away. What a great opportunity. It'll ruin you for light beer though:wink:

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Oktoberfest should be quite interesting/wild if some of what I've heard is correct. I'm hoping to put together a webpage to document the year as it progresses though too much might not get done during Oktoberfest:D

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
And you are only about an hour's drive across the border to Salzburg in Austria.

Basically Munchen in Bayern is about the best part of Germany if I understand correctly. Everything south of you is like a German version of Yosemite. I drove a circle back in 1985 from Salzburg through Munchen and then down through Garmish to Innsbruck and finally back for the night in Salzburg again.

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
Cell Phones (Handys) are very cheep the per min. charge is about the same as the US to make a call, to get calls is free (the person calling pays a higher rate per min. about the same as a long distance call)
There are some great deals from land lines to call the US. I call home to the US for about 2.5 cents a min. Cheaper to call then what I was paying in NYC to call out of state.
here is a link to the site that gives the code for the lowest rate when you want to make a call.
Billiger Telefonieren
I find costs lower here then the US but have heard that costs are more in Munich than Berlin.
It's very easy getting around Germany by Train with many deals for weekends and short trips Here is a English link to the train system.
Die Bahn
Thats all I can think of off the top of my head as an American guy that has been living in Germany for the last three years. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions.
kd

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, thanks. I'll definately be making use of the rail system, since I'll have a two month break between semesters to do whatever and go wherever I want. Are the cellphone systems pretty much the same throughout Europe and are there roaming charges?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jeff,

The system is the same standard all over Europe: GSM. You won't have any (technical) trouble calling from virtually anywhere (well, there are some places still uncovered - underground parkings and viaducts, and some other places). However, some companies abroad (outside the country where you bought your SIM-card) will not accept calls made by a phone on a pre-paid 'subscription' (because it isn't a subscription at all).
You would need a real subscription (pay a monthly fee and have even lower connection costs) to be allowed entrance anywhere, but I'm not sure if you can get a subscription if you're only there for a year.

Cees

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, that's what I needed to know, also about how much are the phones themselves?

Any do's and dont's to keep from sticking out like a tourist? :b :D

Thanks

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jeff,

The phones are from € 0.00 to ... almost infinite, but say € 300.- for a rather expensive one. "Normal" prices between € 100 and 200. (For simplicity, assume that the euro is about a dollar, actually it's more expensive right now, $ 1.15 or so).

They can be very cheap together with a subscription (generally for at least 1 or 2 years).
I have never payed for a phone yet (bought 6, together with my wife, since 1995).

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks