What's new

Going to Mississauga (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'm starting a new job on June 12, and they're flying me out to Mississauga for a week, maybe more.

I'm staying at the Radisson on Argentia road, and working just up the road from there, about 20 minutes West of Pearson, and south of the 401.

What is there nearby to do after hours? I'm sure my days will be extremely packed and will leave me exhausted, but is there anything close by where I can go for dinner or something to get out of the hotel for a while?

I'm going to be there Sunday night, and leave Thursday night.

I don't drive, so something close by would be preferable.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
My wife's relatives live in Missisauga but we would always go into Toronto when we would visit. Plenty of stuff to do there.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Hey, Paul,

If you had more time, Niagara Falls is a nice place to visit. I was there last year while attending a seminar....NF is like 1.5 hour or so from the Pearson airport. I wasn't too impressed with the traffic from the airport southwest.

Dave

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Paul

Without a car your options are limited in that area.

From your hotel if you walk North on "Argentia" about 150 meters you will hit "Derry Road" turn right on Derry Road (North East) and walk to "Mississauga Road" about 2km (you have to walk through the underpass that goes under Highway 401) At the Corner of Derry Road and Mississauga Road there is a large Plaza with a Mix of fast Food joints like, Wendy's, Tim Horton’s, Shopsys Deli Ect. There is also a Nice Pub in the Plaza with typical Pub food, Cold beer on Tap, and they will be watching the Oilers Kick the Crap out of the Hurricanes next week (Yes I have jumped on the Oilers Band Wagon)

If you have more time you can take a cab to Downtown Streetsville. It's only a few KM’s from your hotel (Cab ride should be about $10) Once there you can walk to several different Pubs/Bars, Cafes, Restaurants, and Shops. You should be able to find some night life there most nights of the week. For more info check out www.villageofstreetsville.com

Hope this helps and good luck with the new job.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
you haven't had a true canadian experience til you've had Tim Hortons' coffee. :)

not that it's extra special or anything, it's just that everyone has it, and it's everywhere. :P

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

I think it is a patriotic thing that Canadians drink Tim Horton's coffee. Around here, you can easily get something at Tim Horton's. Visiting Calgary recently, the drive-thru at Tim Hortons was wrapped around the building. Crazy!

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Unfortunately, public transit in Mississauga is wretched.

If you're able to get yourself into Toronto cheap or free and like baseball, Jays tickets are cheap and plentiful. Off the top of my head, they're in town while you're here. I think the Detroit Tigers series is done by the 12th, and after that is the Baltimore Orioles.

Don't let anyone tell you that the ballpark sucks -- it's actually quite good. And if you're on a budget, the cheap seats in the upper deck are among the very best cheap seats in baseball. They're $11 CDN from the box office, or seven-ish dollars from a scalper. Any ticket on any level within the arc between first and third will give you a great view. I'm less fond of the outfield seats.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Never been in the nosebleed section, but I have taken in Jays and Argos games on the lower levels. If you're hankering for a bite, I'd recommend stopping by any of the surrounding sports bars or patio restaurants instead of picking up something inside the stadium. The CN Tower is also a stone's throw from SkyDome; the Hockey Hall of Fame isn't too far from the stadium either.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Super, thx for the responses guys, I'll have to find some time to head into the city. Would LOVE to take in a Jays game while I'm there.

And Eric, I'll have to take in some of that Canadian coffee you speak of. Thanks!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I have returned.

I wanted to thank you guys, especially Robbie R. In addition to Timmy's, there's a Boston Pizza and Swiss Chalet in that plaza near RBC, which made for a nice break from hotel life.

We went out a couple of nights, once with just myself, my boss and her husband went down to Streetsville by car and ate at this amazing Italian place. I didn't catch the name of the place, but thanks to a bit of internet research, I believe the name is Saucy. Very good food, authentic Italian, large portions. The other night we all went as a group to Kelsey's nearby, although I didn't catch the name of the neighborhood.

After a night of Swiss Chalet, I walked to the Meadowvale WalMart on Argentia (I'm the new corporate recruiter for pharmacy and optical for Western Canada - based in Calgary) to check it out, but otherwise, mostly stayed inside the hotel and watched either basketball or hockey, depending on the night.

On Wednesday, I was taken out to 3 stores, Milton, Kitchener East, and Kitchener West, so had the chance to get out on the road. Perfect weather all week.

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Users who are viewing this thread