going to make my first speaker.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ChrisLazarko, Sep 10, 2003.

1. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well I am soon to make my own speaker in my electronics class. My Electronics teacher really likes me so he said I could use some speakers he has. They range from size probably from about the size of 1" through 4". They are only cheaper paper cones, probably like $5-10 a piece but I am just looking to make my first speaker and it won't cost me anything.

Could someone recommend what types of things I will need to use in this project and what would be a good way to go about it.

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

First off, reference material. I've read The Great Sound Stereo Speaker Manual and The Loudspeaker Cookbook. Both books contain instructions on how to measure speakers. The Great Sound Manual is much easier to understand but if you want more the Cookbook has it. You'll need measurements first. Then you can go on to crossover and box design. There's freeware such as Speaker Workshop that would help with that. I imagine that your not wanting to invest a bunch of money for this so software such as LspCAD or LEAP is out of the question.

3. ChrisLazarko

Yeah I don't want to spend much money at all. For a book or something I don't mind as this will be my first time and these are only cheapo paper cones. I was just thinking of making an interesting design.. Something stupid but something that will work. 5 speaker box or something with an intergrated subwoofer on it's right side and an airport connecting the two. Something stupid but it would be lots of fun to make.

4. ChrisLazarko

Just downloaded the program and the thing makes almost no sense to me... I don't understand it exactly. Also, is there a place where I might be able to find something for a first-time person like me. I am going to do one in electronics class but I was thinking about when I have time at home where I could pick up some cheap stuff. Say something to make a $20-30 speaker... Just something fun with like 2 or 3 drivers that are pretty cheap.

Thanks.

5. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Seems to me the important things to learn here are how to take measurements and design and test circuits. It doesn't really matter if it sounds all that great. How about checking out second-hand stores (Goodwill, etc,) and even used book stores for info? There might be some old radios or speakers you could take the parts out of. Garage sales are good for that too.