Going to get the Sony KV-34HS510 tonight, any last words?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AndySaj, Jul 23, 2003.

1. AndySaj

AndySaj Auditioning

After much indecision, I have decided on the direct view Sony KV-34HS510 over the Sony projection 46". Going to make the purchase this evening, anyone have any advice? I welcome any comments from owners of either TV.

Thanks,
    Andy

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Nice set. Just be aware that there usually are geometry / convergence issues associated with flat tube designs that simply cannot be fixed.

Regards

3. AndySaj

AndySaj Auditioning

Thanks for the warning Michael. We were pretty set on the 46" projection, but this is for our living room, and the room gets a lot of sun, so glare becomes more of an issue on the big screens. The plan became getting the direct view for the formal living room, and getting the behemoth big screen in the home theater room which is being finished this winter.

Are there any other direct view sets that I should check out before making the purchase? I have looked mostly at the Zenith, Sony, and Samsung.

Andy

4. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Of course all directview sets have plenty of glare off that glass surface.

In fact, one of the reasons RPTV's went to the glare screen was purely marketing. They wanted to add the glare look to the image to make it more direct view like in appearance. This makes the images less alien to people thinking about moving up to RPTVs from direct views.

The plexiglass on the Sony 46" can be removed ... albeit with some effort.

Consider Toshiba as a tube unit as well ... good bang for the buck there and good performance. Ditto for Panasonic, but they cost a bit more than Toshiba.

Some of the large tube sets are also more prone to ambient magnetic fields than others ... causing discoloration on the screen.

Regards

5. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

6. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

corner discoloration ... usually toward purple. Sometimes the effect is seen in grid space 4 and 6 out of nine boxes ...

as in a keypad layout.

Solution ... move the TV about the room ... since only other solution is to return unit since although not defective ... it is incompatible with your home ....

Regards

7. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

8. AndySaj

AndySaj Auditioning

Thanks Bob, I will definitely check out the front projectors when i get the set for the basement. I had heard that they were coming down in price, but have never checked any of them out.

I did make the sony 34" purchase last week. Ended up getting a nice deal at Circuit City ($1735) so it was hard to pass up. I was looking at the Toshiba, but nobody has the new Cinema Series model out yet, and I couldn't go without a TV much longer. Anyway, the Sony's got good reviews too, and I always have 30 days to return it if I decide on something else.

Thanks,
    Andy

9. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

Andy:

You got a good price on a great TV. I am sure you will not be disappointed. When you are ready to shop for a projector for the hometheater room, be sure to check out Projectorcentral and the Digital projectors - under $5000 MSRP area at AVSForum. You might want to start your research a few months before you are ready to pull the trigger, as the volume of information can be overwhelming.

10. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

11. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Since the effect manifests itself as a purple darkening ... it shows up more prominently on bright backgrounds.

Location really varies by TV ... sometimes multiple corners ... sometimes elsewhere ... as above.

Regards

12. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

well i am gonna move tv over to other end of room this weekend and see what happens there?

if nothing changes, I will move it back to where it is at now. It is nto very bad, just a couple corners are noticable on certain colors like i mentioned before.

There is a Purity option in the menu that is ment to help this, but i cant seem to get it to look perfect.