Going to Germany- any tips?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Hochard, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I've got a business trip coming up to Regensburg, Germany. It'll be my first visit to Germany, flying into Munich. I won't have a tremendous amount of free time, except perhaps a weekend. But, are there any must-sees/must-dos in the Regensburg/Munich area?

Todd

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Whatever you do, don't mention the war!

3. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Which one [​IMG] ?

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Max.. [​IMG]

Regensberg, that's where the 3-series BMW is born!

Maybe you can go to the Black Forest and eat some cake!

Jay

5. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    This thread is of interest to me also for as my band heads there, among other countries, in July-August.

Any social do's or dont's?

6. Todd Hochard

7. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I frequently deal with German engineers at work, there are 2 rules to follow:
    1 - They are always right
    2 - When in doubt, refer to rule 1

Ask them if they have any 'good' beer like Budweiser. The Germans I've gone drinking with here turn their noses up at most American Beers with the exception of Sam Adams, hate to say it but I agree with them but I wouldn't tell them that.
    OK so now that we're treading very close to the 'lets talk beer thread' and tempting the 'no politics' site rule, does anyone have anything constructive ?

8. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

remember to obey the hors d’oeuvres at all times!

9. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

10. Mark Fontana

Mark Fontana Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    In the Munich area, if I remember correctly, there is a giant science museum (Deutsches Museum) where you can walk through the U-boat set made for the movie Das Boot, plus tons of other technology exhibits. I haven't been there yet but I've heard it's really cool.

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Hidleburgh (wrong spelling) is a quick train ride outside the city. pretty cool place.
    Don't order Hamburgers. The german ones are awful and I got food poisoning from the Burger King at the train station and missed most of Oktoberfest[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Stay out of Lola's way...you might get hurt in the collision.

13. Todd Hochard

Sad to say, I'm not a beer drinker. So, that's out.

Thanks for the tips, Zane. Regarding traffic, do they do the right turn on red thing, like here in the states?

14. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

15. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

16. Caleb Penner

Caleb Penner Agent

There is plenty to see in Munich.(München) You should do the walking tour to see all the land marks like the Frauenkirche. (The tallest building in Munich- no skyscrapers allowed) Make sure to visit the Konzentrationslager Gedenkestätte(Concentration Camp Memorial) in Dachau.(a short train ride) If I remember correctly, tours are only on Saturdays, but it is open Tuesday to Sunday. Somebody already mentioned Bavaria Film Studios, where you can see the sub interior from Das Boot. There is a BMW museum, but is only slightly interesting.
    Unfortunately Munich has little to offer for movie theatres that play movies in English.(Movies in Germany are nearly always dubbed). However, I did find one movie theatre, the Lichtspielhaus, that had movies in the Original Language. Don't expect stadium seating or good sound.

Caleb

17. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Todd, good thing you asked about right turn on red, because no, there isn't such a thing in Germany. So be very careful if you drive and remember that.

As per Philip's post, the technical museum is The Deutsches Museum (German Museum). It IS huge. I was there for 3 hours and saw not even half of it. All kinds of neat stuff if you're into anything technical/mechanical. I was particularly interested in the train area. It's right on the River Isar, just outside the old city. There are U-Bahn (subway) stops all over the city, or it's within easy walking distance from the town center.

The submarine from Das Boot is not at the Deutsches Museum, but at the Bavarian Film Studios, along with the dragon from The Neverending Story. Here is a short blurb:

18. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

And per Caleb's post, there IS a great theater for English films in Munich, called Cinema, in the central area a two minute walk from the Nymphenburger Strasse U-Bahn stop. You should really check it out if you get a chance. You can make reservations for seats online (numbered seating) and they have a cool lobby with huge LOTRs artwork. Like I said before, great room with balcony, great sound. Top notch theater. No stadium seating, but I've never been a big fan of it anyway.

http://www.cinema-muenchen.de/englisch/default.htm

19. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Some basic tips:

Always have some change because some of the bathrooms cost money to use. (Or at least used to, I haven't been there since the euro switch)

If you order water you'll get sparkling mineral water, if you don't like sparkeling water you have to order Still Water.

Don't tip just round the bill up to the next whole euro.

Most of the clubs I went to in Munich were pretty badass.

Hoffbrauhaus is a must see even if you don't drink beer much, just go in get a pretzle and a beer and listen to the oopma band (they rock!)

Check out a Beatte & Hues (Spelling?) while your there. Most other countries are far more open minded than we are.

There are a ton of Castles and churches in the area, try to see at least one.

German people are extremely nice, and most speak english, However don't get involved in a political discussion, because you'll be there all night listening to them.

Food to try - Currywurst, ien par Bratwurst mit Brochen (my favorit, its 2 bratwursts with a tough chewy roll), Schnitzle (Breaded and fried veal filet, super good), and most pasteries.

Public transportation is great. Public bathrooms not so great (like the ones on the autobahn).

If you are going to drive - when on the autobahn or any other "Highway" typ road Don't pass on the right (Its illegal) only pass on the left and if your in the left lane and about to be passed by law you have to move over to the right (Something I wish we did in this country. And saying they drive fast on the autobahn is an understatement. I was going 110 mph and was getting passed, alot.

I love Germany I lived there for 7 years and try to go back every 2 or 3 years. Hope you have fun.

20. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Yes, the public restrooms still cost money.

The clubs are great, if you're into it. There is a place called Kunstpark Ost, which is just a strip full of clubs and bars. Heard they were shutting it down for some reason though.

It's Beate Uhse, to be correct. It's (I think) a typical adult shop chain. You can find the same thing in the US, just not so publicly displayed.

Step inside the Frauenkirche on the way to the Marienplatz. It's one the most beautiful churches I've seen. Most Catholic churches in Europe are very gaudy and overwrought, but not that one. Gorgeous, white columned interior that was completely demolished by the WWII bombing and subsequently rebuilt, though you wouldn't know it by looking at it. There are pictures inside of the reconstruction.

One thing you must try is the Weisswurst. It's white veal sausage (DON'T EAT THE SKIN!) that you dip in sweet mustard, served with a pretzel (Brez'n). Exellent. It's one the best loved Bavarian meals around, and typically eaten before noon, though I've seen places have it till 2pm.

Man, this is making me hungry.