Going to Dallas/Fort Worth -- suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_R, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

I'm making a trip out to the Dallas/Fort Worth area this weekend to meet a girl I met at my sister's wedding over the summer. Any ideas on what to do or see? Thanks!

2. CollinMorphew

CollinMorphew Stunt Coordinator

Probably depends on ages and what you want to do.

3. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

25 and 23

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The "traditional" tourist things in the Metroplex are the Fort Worth Stockyards & the JFK site/museum in downtown Dallas. Both are worth a visit - I'd chose the Sixth Floor Museum over the stockyards myself.

If you go to the Stockyard, it's worth actually going to Grapevine (south of DFW Airport) & taking the Tarantula Express - an old fashioned steam train that stops at the Stockyard.

If you're interested in art, the Kimbell in Fort Worth is WELL worth a visit, as is the Museum of Modern Art. In fact, Dallas & Fort Worth have a bunch of class museums & art galleries.

There's a good Omni theatre in the museum district of Fort Worth, and there's a good Imax at Fair Park in Dallas.

For nightlife, the party place in Dallas is Deep Ellum. You might be more comfortable in the Dallas West End.

Six Flags Over Texas is open at the weekends - really good theme park with some very good rollercoasters.

5. CollinMorphew

You can find a lot to do. Deep Ellum and Lower Greenville are both fun--especially when you're not from here. Green Room and the Bone are both packed and they have balconies. Thin room is, well, thin. Usually packed a little bit later at night with a good crowd. I like Lower Greenville a little more. South of Mockingbird there are a lot of places. Usually you can walk to quite a few of them. Is it actually in Dallas?

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I second Deep Ellum and Lower Greenville. As well as going to Fort Worth to the Stockyards (Exchange Street). Some like the West End in Dallas.

The Fort Worth museums are generally a better bet that Dallas’: I’d rank them in this order:
    1.The Kimball (Fort Worth—European, emphasis on 19th/20th Centauries. Building is a Louis Khan minor masterpiece. A small, but well-chosen collection.)
    2.Dallas Museum of Art (Dallas-medium size, but the collection is not up to major city standards.
    3.Museum of Modern Art (Fort Worth—smaller than Dallas, but probably a better overall collection—non-European)
    4.There is a collection dedicated to Remington and Russell in downtown Fort Worth, if you are interested in Western art from this period.

Restaurants:
    ·Star Canyon—Upscale Southwest, but moderately priced. You will know for sure that you are inh Texas here. Food is very good.
    ·Ciudad—Mexican. One of the best price performers in Dallas
    ·Blue Mesa—Southwest—great atmosphere
    ·Cantina Laredo—TexMex—lots of fun—live music on Friday night
    ·Peggy Sue Barbeque—close to SMU and very good—best sides in a barbeque place
    ·Sonny Bryan’s—barbeque—Sonny died several years ago, but he lives in his food—iconic
    ·The Mansion at Turtle Creek—only if you really, really like the girl. Biggest name in Dallas and close to the most expensive. And may be worth the cost. If dinner here won’t put you over the top, nothing will.
    ·Plano Tortilla Factory—TexMex for those in the know. Small, crowded and very good.
    ·Angleo’s—barbeque in Fort Worth. Try the ribs
    ·Joe T. Garcia’s—TexMex in Fort Worth. Get the dinner—it’s your only choice.
    ·Chamberlin’s—steak. There are a lot of steak houses here. They range from moderate to over-the-top. This is a good compromise. Local, as opposed to some of the chains.

If you had the time, I highly recommend a road trip to Austin, which is the home of the University of Texas, is the State Capital, and most importantly has 6th Street, one of the best live music venues in the world. If you can’t have a good time here, there is no hope. Names like Stevie Ray Vaughan used to play there. People who will achieve that status are playing there today.

And if you had just a bit more time, San Antonio is an even better road trip.

Let me know where you will be staying and I can make some more specific recommendations.

7. Lew Crippen

Fair Park in Dallas has some of the best Art Deco buildings anywhere.

8. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Yep, and then there is the old Dr. Pepper plant...
    Oh wait, no there's not. [​IMG]
    But Mockingbird Station is pretty hip. The Anjelika Theater (swanky independant art-house theater), a few good bars, some restaurants, and a bunch of shops. Right off Central, on Mockingbird.

9. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Ohhh...the Ft. Worth Stockyards! I lost an entire year of my life there. The plus side is that one night I managed to score free tickets to see Willie Nelson at Billy Bob's.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I was in Dallas on business for three days last week. Unforutnately, I didn't get to see too much of the city. Most of my time was spent at the Convention Center. In any event, I didn't find Dallas to be particularly scenic. Just my opinion. One thing Dallas seems to be known for is shopping. I know that it may seems silly to get on a plane and then go shopping, but you may find some interesting stores there. Look around the Internet for some shopping options.
    As far as restaurants go, I only had time for one quality meal due to a tight schedule. On one evening, I went to a restaurant called Abacus with a colleague and two folks from another company. The food was outstanding. Their menu is rather diverse, with a good mix of interesting mexican- and oriental-type dishes. This restaurant is a bit pricey, though, as the four of us dropped over $300. That included just one person getting a glass of wine, two in the group having, maybe four beers between them, and just one having dessert. Still, it's a great restaurant. One of the folks from the other company had been in Dallas the month before we were there, and he went to Abacus for the first time then. He thought so much of the restaurant that he decided to take us there.
    On another subject, one thing that is pretty cool is that if you get on Rt. 183 East on your way out of D/FW airport, you pass by Texas Stadium on your left. It was cool to see, though I thought it looked a bit drab from the road.
    Here's a question for those of you who live in or are from Dallas. What is with the I-35E and I-35W thing, both of which are north-south highways? Couldn't they assign them different numbers like every other place does? [​IMG]

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

12. Lew Crippen

13. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Last time I was in Dallas my wife just fell in love with the Dallas World Aquarium, its more Rainforest and less aquarium, but totally worth the money and time.

Gameworks is pretty fun if you are into games at all, as is Dave and Busters.

14. CollinMorphew

Just take her on an I35 cruise. Start in Dallas, head north to Denton. Grab I-35W south to Waco--really fun town (love those Baptists). Then grab I35E north and come back to Dallas. If you and her are lucky, hit an Alsups and get a fried burrito--yum. Stockyards--oh the memories--P.R.'s, White Elephant, Billy Bobs and 2:00 am Whataburger--how depressing. Still better than Cowboys though.

15. Lew Crippen

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian,
    I agree. Gotta make things confusing. [​IMG]
    Lew,
    Yeah, I noticed on the map before I left for Dallas how I-35 splits. It still seems silly to have I-35E and I-35W. Since Dallas is Dallas, the portion going through Dallas should be called I-35. They could call the portion going through Fort Worth something else. [​IMG]

17. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Meaningless to this conversation, but interestingly, I-35 does that same stupid crap just south of the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, too... [​IMG]

18. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

Great suggestions everyone! Thanks for the help. I'm flying out there in a couple of hours and she's picking me up to the airport then we're going to a high-school football game. She's a sportswriter and has to cover the game. Then we're going out to eat so tonight is all set. Thanks again for the suggestions!

19. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

I have heard wonderful things about Abacus as well. Another super-expensive option is Voltaire. I remember hearing it was the most expensive restaurant ever to be built, along the lines of $10 million plus to complete. Granted, I'm not the best source of info on Dallas, but that's what I heard so that's what I'm saying. I can say for sure that the food, service and atmosphere were all top notch. Worth the coin? No. Personally I'd prefer to go to Cowboy Chicken which is in the same area. Get yourself a roasted chicken, green beans and some fantastic tasting mashed potatoes for less than $20. But it sure won't impress the ladies like Voltaire!

Pieter

20. Lew Crippen