going to Cleveland/weekend of june 13th

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Doug:Li, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Doug:Li

Doug:Li Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I are going to the Rock n roll HOF, for a special U2 weekend. We will be at the HOF on Saturday and that night will be going to the Hard Rock to see a U2 cover band. We will arrive friday afternoon and will be staying overnight and want something to do Friday nite. Looking for a good cheap PUB or restaurant, club (preferably a rock or alternative music club) We are staying downtown near the RnR:HOF, at the HYATT. If there is anything else about cleveland we should know (besides the usual jokes [​IMG]) , please feel free to share it! thanks![​IMG]

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

2 words
    Cedar Point!!!
    It's about 1/2 hour or so outside the city.
    The most roller coasters in the world and the tallest fastest to boot.
    Make sure you go after the HOF, we went 1st to cedar point and was disappointed in the HOF. Gotta wonder about a place devoted to RnR ..... Brooks Brothers Suits are on their Board?!?

3. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    Just hit the Flats and you'll be fine! There are a bunch of restaurants/bars that feature live music along the river front.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Half Hour huh? You must drive REAL fast. It's over 60 miles from downtown Cleveland to Sandusky. If you can make it in an hour, you're doing pretty good.

I would also say- just hit the flats. There are a ton of clubs there-- some of the better clubs are on the outer edge of the city (I mean the places you'll see more indie/obscure stuff)-- but if you're looking to stay downtown your best bet is going to be the flats.

Looks like on friday night:

Peabody's (outside of the city on the East side) has a metal show- Including a young band called Kaligo who are friends of mine- so let me know if you need guest list. [​IMG]

Melissa Ferrick is at the Grog shop (also a bit outside the city).

The Fleshtones are at the beachland (also 10 minutes outside of town).

LL Cool J is at the Scene pavillion in the Flats.

Other than that- there are like 20 bars in the Flats area that will have stuff going on...

5. Doug:Li

Cool! thanks for the info! Now where is the FLATS, exactly?
    What streets does it combine? How do I find it?

[​IMG]

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Follow the smell [​IMG]

I assume you'll be in the city on foot/taxi. Any driver will be able to take you there.

The Rock Hall is out on the Eastern side, on the North shore (Erieside Ave), out by the Browns Stadium.

The flats is a district of town along the old industrial area on either side of the river, a few miles West and south of the Rock Hall area. I think the road running along the east side is "Old River Road" and the other side I'm not sure.

[​IMG]

Map of
    Cleveland, OH

The Rock hall is the Yellow/Gold area along the north shore (about in the middle- SW of the Lakefront Airport).

And Immediately SW of that you can see the river coming in, on the Eastern edge is a road- that is OLD RIVER ROAD (use Yahoo Maps and you cand get a better look).

http://www.photohome.com/photos/ohio...st-bank-2.html
    http://www.papays.com/powerhs.html
    http://www.rinestock.com/flats.html
    http://www.downtownclevelandpartnership.com/flats.html

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Vince
    Thanks for correcting me. I do drive fast but normally I drove from Toledo not Cleveland. It's been quite a few years since we went there.
    Been to the flats and it was dead when we went there, hope it got better. You need a full day for CP if you go there.
    My wife is from California and it was the only thing in Ohio she would go back for.
    It was pretty strange going to the rock and roll hall of fame.
    The big exhibit was the 'Summer of Love' early haight ashbury scene. I turned a corner and there was this huge 20 x 10 foot blown up photo of the old Victorian across the street from us taken from our house. It's where Janis and Big Brother got together along with many others. It burned down since then, but it's weird traveling 2000 miles and seeing a huge phote of your block.
    Have a great time whatever you do
    Grant

8. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

The usual jokes!!! what!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Check out Tower City if you plan to do some shopping. Also, Cleveland is very multicultural and people are a bit on the pushy side compared to those in cities like columbus or cincinnati (IMHO). Maybe it's our twangy accent.

9. Doug:Li

Thanks for the maps and info! Is cleveland a good walking city or is it better to drive to where you need to be? Any spots we should definitelyy NOT go into? (safetywise)
    Heh I didnt know clevelanders had an accent! [​IMG] I'll have to take notice.[​IMG]

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Surprisingly, despite a reputation otherwise- I find Cleveland to be a pretty universally safe cite- especially in the downtown areas you're going to be around. There is a little bit of "hood" area a bit east and west of the city proper (more east I would say, but I don't live there)... but it definately wouldn't be anywhere you wander into on foot if you started at Tower City downtown.

-V

11. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    yeah, I agree with Vince. Cleveland is pretty safe. I've taken the train from Mayfield Heights to Tower City and then walked to the Flats. It's only a few blocks. Plus it was Riverfest and there would be no parking in the area anyways. The walk is quick. The beer was good. On the north side of the river (or the side with the outdoor stadium) is the Powerhouse that is a huge arcade. It's been a few years since I've been there but I think it still exists.

Another attraction would be to see the Cleveland Indians play. The baseball park is beautiful!

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

last time we were there cabs were nonexistant, we waited hours for one

13. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

The cab service in Cleveland is not like you see for NYC (and what most TV shows seem to think Cab service is)... you won't have much luck hailing them from the curb (unless you're at the airport or something). This city just isn't setup for mass public transportation- you have a much higher percentage of vehicle owners in cleveland vs a place like NYC- so cab service is something you call for from your hotel.

I often see cabs for hire in the bar areas around closing time- so there are a few exceptions-- but for the most part you just carry some quarters and call for a cab.

-vince

14. Doug:Li

Vince, thanks so much for the info, you have been very helpful! [​IMG] (everyone else too!) I'm really looking forward to going , I am anxious to try some of the bars and restaurants. Please feel free to post anymore info you might think will be helpful. I was trying to find some of those laminated street maps for cleveland but I cant find any around here. Any suggestions? I suppose I could stop at a gas station in town for em...

Hey if you know any good cheep dive bars with a rock n roll atmosphere, let me know! Or any good Irish or english style pubs too![​IMG]

15. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

Some good advice above. I lived in Downtown Cleveland (a couple blocks from the Terminal Tower) last year so I'll try to provide some insight.

The Flats have seen better days, at least the East side of the Flats have. We used to go down there every weekend but so many of the bars have fallen in disrepair and been closed (some for health code violations)that we pretty much avoid the Flat's East Side all together. I guess they're trying to clean it up a bit, and I hope they succeed because it used to be great. Not to say that a good time can't be had down there, but I think there are better alternatives in Cleveland.

One alternative would be the West side of the Flats especially if you have nice weather (BTW the Flats are separated by the Cuyahoga River and not easily walkable from one side to the other). Shooter's has a huge outdoor deck and the foods not too bad. Usually they'll have a DJ spinning the latest annoying dance music, but sometimes to keep things fresh they'll have a cover band playing the latest crappy rock music instead...but if I'm able to look past it most people shouldn't have too big a problem. There are also some other places on the West Side (the Powerhouse has a Brewery, a comedy club, arcade, etc...).

The best alternative, I think, would be to head to the Warehouse District on West 6th Street. If you're staying Downtown it'll be a close walk and there's a bunch of different bars and restaurants down there. A little more upscale than the East Side Flats bars, and there's usually a line past 10:00, but for the most part these clubs are a good time. There's The Blind Pig, Funky Buddha, Velvet Dog, Liquid, Chop House, and quite a few others. I'd recommend The Blind Pig; they usually have a band playing, or if you prefer more of a club atmosphere they have a DJ downstairs.

As for pure original live music in a bar...Cleveland is kind of lacking in that department (most bands are cover bands), the aforementioned Grog Shop is my favorite venue to see original live music since it's no bigger than your average bar. Also if you like Blues/Jazz there's a nice restaurant called Fat Fish Blue that usually has a band playing. Anyway, there's also the Agora, the Odeon, Nautica Stage, Tower City Ampitheater, the Rock Hall, and the hard Rock Cafe...one of those usually has something going on in they way of live music and they're all Downtown. And don't worry, if you stay in the confines of the Downtown area you'll be fine walking...I walked everywhere and never had a problem (except for the occasional panhandler).

Anyway, if you need more info let me know. Is there a specific kind of place you're looking for? I wouldn't recommend getting directions from downtown gas stations as they're almost harder to find than a cab. I can only think of 2 that are actually downtown.

Hope that helps,
    Mike

16. Doug:Li

Hey mike, thanks for the insight, [​IMG] I will be downtown at the the hyatt (on superior avenue). Is that walkable to the warehouse district? And if you know any good english/irish pubs, let me know where to find em! [​IMG] And also any good cheep eats, the kind of places only locals know about if you know any, please share...thanks! [​IMG]

17. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

The Hyatt is located at The Arcade and there are some cheap eats in the Arcade itself, and there's plenty of hot-dog vendors around Tower City. There's also a Deli right by Tower City that I used to like to go to. Tower City has a decent food court and a "Fuddruckers" which a lot of people liked.

The Hyatt itself is on Superior but if you walk through the Arcade to the other side (going south) you'll be on Euclid Avenue. If you look across the street you'll see a "Wendy's" on E. 4th St (BTW this is the worst Wendy's in the world, avoid it). If you walk down E. 4th Street you'll arrive at a cool Irish bar called "Flannery's", it's on E. 4th and Prospect and it'll probably take you a matter of minutes to get there. I actually used to live on E. 4th, so I was about a 2 minute stumble from "Flannery's".

Also on E. 4th there's a new place called "PickWick and Frolic" (you'd see this before you got to Flannery's). It's a comedy club/martini bar/restaurant/show bar. We used to have drinks at my place and go there quite a bit, it's a little pricey for my blood, especially if you have a martini...I guess they're trying to recover some of the 5 million they used to build it, nice place though. Anyway, that area is known as the Gateway District, and there are also some bars if you continue East down Prospect Avenue (Fishbones, Panini's,) but they kind of ebb and flow with the popularity of the 'Indians', which is to say they're kind of dead now.

As for the Warehouse District, you're probably a 10-15 minute walk from it. Just head West Down Superior Avenue until you get to West 6th. We used to walk there all the time, unless it was below freezing, then we'd opt for a cab. If you do want to get a cab it shouldn't be more than a few bucks...you might want to do this if you feel too unfamiliar with the area.

Hope you have a good time,
    Mike