Going to Chicago for the 1st time.. what to do?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeremySt, May 19, 2002.

1. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I am goin to chicago for the first time ever, over 4th of July weekend. What should I do? I am visiting my best friend who has lived there for 5 years, so he will be my primary guide, but if there is anything I should definitly do, i need Suggestions!

examples

70mm film showings

film conventions

concerts/ events?

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Oh over the 4th! Go down to the Taste of Chicago on the 3rd and stay all day down there. Watch the HUGE fireworks at night. Definitely make sure you do the Taste of Chicago...its really cool. Go to the Museum of Science and Industry, Field Museum, Shed Acquarium, Navy Pier, Art Museum. Go to the top of Sears Tower. Go to Water Tower Place for shopping. Take a stroll down along the lake.

3. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

Absolutely, positively take the Architecture Boat Tour. GREAT! GREAT! GREAT!

4. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

mmmm. Vienna beef hot dogs... mmmm.....

Gino's East... mmm....

5. MikeAlletto

Oh yeah...the boat tour is really really cool. Gino's East is really good, but so is Lou Malnotis. If you find yourself in the south suburbs, check out Aurelios Pizza in Homewood. Really good thin crust. There are many good Italian restaurants also, Rosebud and Tuffanos (not sure on the spelling of that one) are REALLY good. Its neat to go to Jordans restaurant, but don't eat there, its not that good. Harry Carry's restaurant is really good though, but expensive.

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

7. Johnny wilson

Johnny wilson Stunt Coordinator

Go see the Bulls play. Watching Michael Jordan live..oh wait...the Jerry's ruined that already.

8. Steve Zatkoff

Steve Zatkoff Stunt Coordinator

Chicago things to do:

Chinatown, which is a five minute ride south on the Redline from the Loop.

If you are into Antiquing(sp?), take a ride to the Belmont/Damen area or Lincoln/Irving Park area.

Rush and Division is good if you want to get stupid drunk and see lots of freaks.

Musicbox Theater on Southport for your more Art oriented films. Lot's of good restaurants and bars in this area.

If you like German food/beer, try Lincoln Square.

Al's beef is good. I think the best beef and gyros can be found at Zippy's in the NW Suburbs.

Murphy's on Belmont have great Chicago Style Dogs.

Gino's east deep dish pizza on Superior.

Bucktown for the Bohemian in you.

Andersonville for the Swede in you.

The Chicago Botanical Gardens.

9. Cal S

Cal S Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy

You wouldn't happen to be going up for the Wizard World Comic Convention would you?

I'll be appearing there that weekend, so this thread is very helpful to me as well.

-Cal

10. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

last time i was in Chicago, i spent HOURS at the Art Institute. until then, i didn't realize how cool it is to see great works of art up close and personal.[​IMG]

11. MikeAlletto

Michael K, I used to live in Homewood (about 15 years ago though). Then moved to Frankfort. But I went to school at St. Joes down the street from aurelios (actually its across from the train station). My mom used to have a condo next to dunkin donuts there. Every time I go back to chicago the whole family meets old friends at aurelios. Eat a ton of pizza and beer...good fun.

12. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

If you like Mexican food, give Frontera Grill a try. Very tasty. [​IMG]
    Go to the Taste of Chicago, lots of good food. And do everything else that was mentioned above. Too bad the Cubs are out of town that weekend, even though they suck (as always), there is nothing better than seeing a ballgame at Wrigley Field.
    Oh, and another vote for the boat tour. I did it a few years ago and it is very interesting.
    I love Chicago. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

13. MikeAlletto

There are NO good mexican restaurants up in chicago. I used to think there were until I moved to texas, now I can't stand eating mexican up north. Italian and pizza are what chicago is all about...mmmmm...pizza

14. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

15. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I just looked at the weekend that you are in town - if you miss Taste of Chicago, you'll regret it. That is, of course, assuming you aren't prone to heat exhaustion - it can get darn hot that time of year. [​IMG]

16. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

Take a night and make reservations for a show at the Baton!

My fiances cousin and his wife took us there twice now for a show. Sooo funny.

This may not sound like your cup of tea, but I garantee you will be surprised and not disapointed!

A1 quality transexuals doing braodway type performances on stage in a relatively small atmosphere.

Trust me.... can I get a witness anyone?

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I drove through Chicago about a month ago. MAN did I get lost. Looked like an awesome town! Wish I could have stayed to check it out.

18. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

19. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    I think the better Mexican restaurants in Chicago (for food, not atmosphere) are the smaller, local places rather than the larger and fancier eateries. I generally don't care for the "trendy" places. Usually they are just average in quality.

For museums, there are so many good ones in Chicago that you can't go wrong. The best are the Museum of Science and Industry, Art Institute, Shed Aquarium, and the Planetarium.

The Art Institute is home to many rather famous works of art including "American Gothic".

Also the conservatory in Lincoln Park Zoo (as well as the zoo in general) are quite nice.

If you want to visit the top floor in the Sears Tower, make sure you do that early in the day. The line can get quite long.

20. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor