Going to Cancun--A few questions

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by SteveLa, Aug 8, 2004.

1. SteveLa

SteveLa Stunt Coordinator

I'm making my first foray to Cancun next month and was wondering if anyone could tell me about any must-sees down there. What shouldn't I miss (I'm going to be there seven nights)? What's the best way to get around? Should I worry about drinking water or should I buy bottled? Also of great importance, what's the best way to dial out to the States? I assume U.S. branded cellular phones won't function and the hotels usually charge a fortune. Am I better off buying a prepaid calling card or are the phone cards provided by the long distance service providers adequate?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I went to Mexico for a week for some church work and it was quite an experience. We visited a small town called Voy Ahdolid or something but landed in Cancun. I liked that area a lot.

I and a woman who went on the trip got very sick within the week we got back. Throwing up and all. We only drank bottled water and didn't drink the shower water so I dunno exactly how it happened. Based on my experience I would just plan on drinking bottled stuff. [​IMG]

Have fun and take pics.

3. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

It's been a while since my trip to Cancun, but I got sick after returning as well. I was fine while there. I stayed from fresh foods that were washed with the water such as fruits and salads.

It's just speculation on my part, but I may have gotten Montezuma's revenge from the ice cubes in my drinks on the plane ride home. The airline had to re-stock the ice cubes for the trip back, right? Could be that the ice was made from water that wasn't filtered or treated. Again, just my guess.

Take a tour to some of the Mayan ruins. I took one to Chichen Itza. It was really neat. I also took a day trip to Cozumel. The snorkeling off the island was fabulous.

Like Scott said...have fun and take lots of pics. I would recommend to bring one or two single-use waterproof cameras for use on the beach and in the water. I took a bunch of pics with one on our trip to the Caribbean last month. I got some great underwater and in-the-water shots...Enjoy.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

As stated make sure you go to Chicken Pizza, it's cool.

Drink bottled, and don't swallow the shower or pool water.

If you haven't been to a Charlos and ____ Restaurant, go to one when you're there. I think it's Carlos and Charlies, but that could be in Puerto Vallarta.

If you are in the party mood go on the pirate booze cruise, Senior Frogs is another great place to drink.

B

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Even though it has been mentioned, I’ll repeat the Mayan ruin suggestion—this is a must.

Almost for sure the ice cube theory is not correct. Ice is not made from tap water.

If you really want to be cautious, try putting a slug of Listerine in your mouth before taking your shower. Unless you are a stronger man than most, you won’t be swallowing during your shower. [​IMG]

Don’t eat from street vendors.

I just came back from two weeks in Mexico—and neither my wife or I had any illness.

6. Donovan

Donovan Agent

Tolum: Stunning Mayan ruins on cliff along the ocean. Some scenes from "Against All Odds" were filmed there

Xel-ha: Big lagoon where you snorkel around coral reefs

Isla de Mujeres: Beautiful island off the coast where there is tons to do

7. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I got sick after coming back from from Mexico City and Puebla, but the more I read about it, it may be the re-introduction of American food more than the mexican food. Evidently most of the resorts along the Yucatan use a chemical solution to treat their food so that this doesn't occur, but some outside resturants may not.

Its kind of ironic...most Americans think that their food is immune to this, but many overseas travellers to the US get "Washington's Revenge" as soon as they get a gullet full of US food.

As far as dialing out, buying a TelMex phone card while there is probably your best bet unless you are going to be doing some serious time on the phone. This site has some really good advice on how to call, driving, anything you want to know. http://www.mexicomike.com/Phone/phones.html

8. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Definitely see Chichen Itza as recommended. It's simply an unbelievable place. Take a day and go to Cozumel. There's a ferry in Playa del Carmen that goes there. One that hasn't been mentioned is Xtapa. My wife and I spent a day there and really enjoyed it.

9. David Devaux

David Devaux Agent

I would say to hit La Boom and Fat Tuesdays. At Fat Tuesdays get a 191 Octane. it's made with 191 proof grain alcohol and will surely give you night a nice kick to start. A boat ride over to the Isla de Mujeres (Island of Women) is also cool. I've only been there during spring break so I don't know how wild they get this time of year, but in March it gets pretty wild.

Also, avoid swimming in the lagoon, it is infested with aligators ... and that is not just a scare tactic. You are much better off in the pools or the OCean. the better hotels are on the ocean for that reason.

10. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

What's the best way to get around? Taxies are cheap depending on distance desired. Especially if shared. I was in Cancun twice. Once from a cruise for the day and from main pier to to main square taxies ran about 4-6 dollars per cab. (Divided by 4 passengers that’s cheap!) Always settle on your fee, first when you flag one, before you step in. Mopeds are fun, but in Cancun you are taking your life in your hands to dash around the locals on these.
    Maintain utter situational awareness!!. For longer trips out to the ruins Tulum, or Chichen Itza. Xcarret etc, you may want to look into tour bookings through your (or any other travel desk at a) motel/hotel which will include the bus there and back. Be aware Chichen Itza is one the largest if you truly want to see impressive ruins. Some of the other give you a taste but are much smaller ruins. Once a long time ago, I was at Cancun Adult Club Med which was not plush but since the trip was given to us, and we don’t STAY in our rooms unless sleeping, we were VERY happy to trade off the sparten rooms for their incredible stretch of beach which was the best for miles both directions. The nicer skyrise next door had elbow to elbow lounge chairs in front of their little slice of sand. THERE WERE alligators in the lagoon. The Club Med welcoming group make it sound a joke during their welcome, which no one paid attention as they went on to tell you how to reserve water-skiing in this lagoon. The next morning I get up at about 5:30 when the rest of the complex appeared asleep and quiet and from my lanai see an 8 ft gator, who impressed me with his utterly dead quiet glide through the water. After that when up by myself drinking coffee early mornings, and the tropical growth outside my door made large rustling sounds, I tended to go (quickly) and stand in the doorway till these passed. (if I could see through the lush foliage around my door these were very large iguanas, I never saw the gators on land)

I just got back from staying in Playa Del Carmen, and went across via ferry to Cosumel for Scuba, during that week.. If ever back in Cancun (I prefer the quieter spots) I would find the dive shops for (if uncertified) the 1 tank dives. Our resort was all-inclusive and most people appeared to have enacted a strategy of killing any pesties by drinking alcohol AM to PM.
    That would not work for me, as I like to see what I am there to see, and stand up straight while I do so.

We were in a reputable resort, Ate the food there, went out to only a couple of local known restaurants, stayed away from the street vendors. We used the ice in the complex, but I did brush my teeth with bottled water rather than the tap. Pack medications for any problems which might arise, have not been to Cancun lately but in Cosemel unless you are comfortable enough in Mexico to go several blocks out of the main tourist locations (off the beaten path) and find a local pharmacy they will charge a premium for items such as aspirin etc now.

While out running around the town (Cancun/Playa/Cosemel) we stuck to bottled/ sealed drinks if smaller local off the path businesses or the margaritas at the larger well traveled touristy spots)

Some people feel you should not eat any fruit/salad that cannot be rinsed and peeled, (because of the water used in agriculture). I am forced to since fruit is a large part of my preferred diet while on vacation. None of us were sick, one son, had a very slight upset for one night, gone by morning.

Enjoy!! I wanted to run to Galveston (my old stomping grounds) one weekend soon, but don’t think I can bear it after the white sand/blue water in the Yucatan!!

11. SteveLa

SteveLa Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Looking forward to the trip.

12. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Let us know if you have explosive diarrhea upon your return.