What's new

Going to Canada for Paradigms? (1 Viewer)

RichardJ

Stunt Coordinator
Hey -

Someone mentioned a couple weeks ago that they saved some major loot by going to Canada to buy their Paradigms. I am interested in picking up some Studio series speakers (which ones are a whole different question), but I don't have a good dealer in my area (central NJ) that I have worked with.

Do people go to the factory store? Is there customs/tax to worry about? How much can be saved? Where in Canada is the factory?

Thanks for any tips!
Richard

JohnKings

Stunt Coordinator
Richard:

Do a search for "Paradigm in Canada" and you will find all the info you seek. Myself and others have contributed to a number of threads on this very subject.

FYI:

I saved over $1,000 off US list prices on a pair of 100's V.2 and a pair of 60's V.2 by purchasing in Canada.

John

Jason.Soko

Stunt Coordinator
I'm doing the same with totems :) I can get the next series up for less than the current series in the US.

Rob_Smurf

Auditioning
Hey Richard,
I am planning the same trip for sometime in August. I'll be coming from Boston. Maybe we could team up for added buying power. I'm getting Studio 40's and a center.
Rob

Josh W Pollack

Auditioning
Hey I am think about doing the same. If you think an extra buyer would help, perhaps we could work something out. I am looking at the Studio 100's and live in Cincinnati Oh.

DerrikW

Stunt Coordinator
I think what you guys should do is find out which one of you has the best bargaining skills and then have which ever one of you that might be go into a dealer with everybodys money, and then buy everything that you guys want, you should be able to get one hell of a discount that way. I know most dealers would give a nice discount if somebody came in there and wanted a pair of 100's, a pair of 40's, a center, and what ever richardj decides to get.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
All three of you should meet up in Windsor at LiveWire to make deal. Its a little further of a drive for those in NY state, but the buying power of all three should get you a better deal. No harm in e-mailing LiveWire or calling them to see what deal you can get before you make the trip.

http://www.livewireaudio.com/

Kevin

RichardJ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the tips, guys! It (unfortunately) now looks like new HT speakers are not in the cards for this year... They have become more of a "holiday '04" or spring of '05 purchase. D'oh!

When I do get set to go, I'll have to come back here and round up some help! I do have my eye on a Studio 40 package, though.

Thanks,
Richard

Rob_Smurf

Auditioning
Richard: hate that for ya, but I'm sure you've got your priorities in the right spot.

Josh: For WAF, I have to go to Montreal. It's only about 5 hours from me. Feel free to take this offline with me at [email protected]. Assuming I had room in my car, I could bring them back and ship them over - but would you still come out ahead. The $$ isn't as strong as it once was is my main worry.
Rob

Bill Kolp

Grip
I was in Toronto a couple of months ago looking at Axiom and Energy speakers. The story I was given by one store was they charge the local taxes (GST etc) and you can get it back at the border. They also said that there is no import tax into the US unless the amount exceeds $2800 CN.

Did not buy the speakers so cannot tell you from experience how accurate the import info is. However, the GST refund is correct.

Good Luck !

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Buying in Canada should be easy and should save you a lot of money...I've bought two pairs of Paradigms in Canada before (Toronto and Windsor, with the last pair being a pair of Studio 40s in Windsor), and it was great. I have some great help from Shawn here on the boards too...just for reference, even with the horrible exchange rates right now, I got my Studio 40s for about $690USD, which I think was pretty good (black laminate).

And if you're hitting up Live Wire in Windsor, you should say I referred you. ;) hehe, jp...I might hop over there in a little bit to buy the CC if prices are good enough, what with the new v3s coming in.

DaveMart

Auditioning
There is a special exemption on duty for loudspeakers (thanks to NAFTA) imported from Canada. In the Harmonized Tariff Schedule, Chapter 85, Section 85.18.22.00, it states they are duty free. It's on page 25 of 70 of the schedule.

For some reason, I am not allowed to post links. If you go to the customs link in the previous post, there is a link to the Harmonized Tariff Schedule on the right side of the page. Look at the most current schedule, then find Chapter 85 and go to page 25 of 70.

Rob_Smurf

Auditioning
Thanks for the directions Dave. I haven't "been here long enough" to post a link either but I tried.
Do you know why they get the "Special" rate of duty versus the General rate of 4.9%?

Thanks,
Rob

arun kumar

Auditioning
Thanks for the link and detailed directions.
Could someone clarify the difference between general and special rate and how they apply?

Thanks,
-Arun

Steve_D

Second Unit
General Rate = The Duty rate WITHOUT any special legislative preference, like NAFTA. In other words, the general rate from a country with normal trade relations with the US.

Special rates are given with their code, i.e. B = Automotive Products Trade Act, CA = NAFTA for Canada, etc... This tells you what the special rates are and what characteristics make them eligible for the special rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks