Going to buy Evil Dead 1,2,3... Which ones?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_WM, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I know this has been rehashed before but with new editions of them scheduled, what do I do now?

Evil Dead 1: I don't really care about the Book of the Dead edition. Movie only edition on March 5th ok?

Evil Dead 2: The THX Edition with the crappy cartoon on the front?

Army of Darkness: Both "Screaming Ash" edition and the bootleg, right?

2. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Evil Dead 1: You can wait for the 1.85:1 version or buy the excellent Elite version now.

Evil Dead 2: Yep.

AOD: Yep.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    If you have a little patience, I'm willing to bet Anchor Bay will release a box set with their best versions of all three. The book of the dead version will have lots of extra supplemental stuff on the second disc, but if all you want is the movie well presented, you are probably OK. I haven't seen it yet, but will probably stand pat with my Elite DVD.

Regards,

4. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

There's another thread (about AB dropping Within The Woods) where Anchor Bay states that a box set will not happen. So get 'em now.

5. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Evil Dead- Wait for the THX disc on March 5th.

Evil Dead 2- Get the one with the cartoon on the cover.

AOD- Get the Screaming Ash and the Bootleg edition. Together they make up the LE.

6. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

Michael Felsher (the same guy who participates in the excellent Anchor Bay chats here at HTF) has stated recently in the clearest possible terms that there will not be a box.

"Many people have suggested that Anchor Bay are holding out on WITHIN THE WOODS to include it later in some other EVIL DEAD DVD or an EVIL DEAD TRILOGY box set. There are no other EVIL DEAD DVD's planned at this time. Also, there will NEVER be a box set with all three films included. Each of the three EVIL DEAD pictures are owned by separate participants which would make a box set highly difficult for a variety of reasons. Disregard any rumours you may read about a box set. it is not going to happen, ever."

In the same message (which tails the other EVIL DEAD thread on the boards right now) Felsher mentions Sam Raimi's preference for the 1.85:1 version - the version that was originally screened in theatres. (Amusing that some folks criticised the Kubrick full-screen DVD transfers as they differed from the theatrical presentations, but felt the exact same thing was okay for EVIL DEAD). The BOOK OF THE DEAD version (which I'm going to get) does contain close to 50 pages of printed material along with the DVD. Your call though.