Going to build Sonosub...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn C, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

After reading all of these Sonosub posts in the DIY threads, I HAVE to build my own Sonosub. I just have to, ok?! [​IMG] Plus, I have wife approval for the whole process. I can't let an opportunity like this slip by!
    1st of all, I have no idea what I am doing. Well, I can just copy someone else's design and it should turn out ok. I figured I at least had to attempt my own design. I did some playing around with the Adire Audio software and came up with this:
    Shiva Driver
    16x48 tube = 158.15 L
    4" x 11 1/2" port
    No fill
    This will give me a tuning frequency of 19.9HZ
    Does all of this sound reasonable? Here is a link to the screenshot I took of the Adire Audio software:
    http://www.lvcm.com/clarklv/images/sub.jpg

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

By no means do you have to go that large but it wont hurt anything. What amplifier were you planning to use?

3. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I'm still waffling on how to power this.

I have a pair of Klipsch RP-3 towers that have the built-in 10" subwoofers in them. Both of the towers have a built-in 440W amp.

The subs in the towers work pretty well for music but really start to stumble on the very low frequencies. They distort pretty easily. They can't handle Toy Story 2 or Fight Club without having a hissy fit. I can make it 'work' by going -4/5db in my receiver.

ANYWAYS, the short term plan was to eliminate the 10" subs in the towers from the overall mix and to built a seperate sonosub to handle to duties. So, my idea was to use one or both of the amplifiers from my towers to power the Sonosub.

I could even leave the amps in the towers! There is a 'low' speaker-level input on the back of the amps that I do not use currently. I use the 'line-in' jack for that. I have already had the amplifier out of the box and noticed that I can just take the wires that go from the amp to the sub and re-route to the low inputs (now output). I can then hook up the sonosub to the low-inputs (now output).

I would then set my main speakers to "small" and let the Yamaha set the crossover to the sub at 90hz.

I think my LONG term plan would be to eventually buy a seperate amp for the sonosub, re-activate the subs in the towers, set the speakers to large and use the sonosub exclusively for the LFE channel.

4. Sean Carter

Sean Carter Stunt Coordinator

Great graph, but you have to take in account for room gain. I think its something like you add 3db per octave.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

What Sean said. If you drop to 120L you'll end up with a curve room gain should easily take care off. Then a full length 4" flared port kit will tune the sub to just under 20hz.

6. Nick_Shah

Nick_Shah Stunt Coordinator

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I wouldn't suggest going any larger than Adire's recommended EBS allignments. As to whether my suggestion or the EBS would be better I couldn't say. I doubt you'd be disappointed with either. I know the Dayton DVC12" works well in that allignment though :p)

8. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor