Going to Best Buy these days is bittersweet

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_C, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

DVD players and movies are flying off the shelves of my local BB. Everytime I go in the movies racks are more picked over and the aisles are packed with customers. This of course leads to overheard conversations of J6P. The content of those conversations and the misinformation that permeates them is what's so damned frustrating to me. Yes, it goes without saying that 90% of those conversations are about pan and scan and those 'damned black bars' but there's also a lot of misinformation about hook up, types of televisions (analog vs digital), speakers, and so on.

On one hand I'm thrilled that DVD had arrived and VHS is dying a well deserved death. On the other hand I'm seriously concerned with how these new market forces (JSP and his/her preferences) will affect us, the serious movie/HT enthusiasts. We have a strong voice but I fear that the sheer number of J6P's out there will make our lives difficult.

Anyway, I was just wondering if I'm the only one out there that's feeling this way. I'm not trying to start yet another P&S vs OAR thread. I'm just venting to sympathetic listeners.

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

There's always a learning curve - a lot of inertia to overcome - just give it time. I'm not worried.

3. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

I’m starting to worry as well.

I was at BB the other week buying DVD’s and there was an older gentleman there with THREE copies of the grinch DVD in his hand.

He looked pretty smart with a well-groomed beard and suite jacket.

As I grabbed my WS copy I mentioned to him that he should make sure he buys the Widescreen version if that’s what he wants because there were two versions of the film on the shelf.

He then said that he would rather have the FULL FRAME version because that’s the one that “looks best” on his screen.

I watched in horror as he put the three WS copies back and selected three P & S boxes.

I guess I should have kept my mouth SHUT that time.

I apologize in advance if anyone here gets a P & S copy in their Christmas stocking from their grandfather in Allentown.

Shawn S

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

It really is amazing how the DVD shopping experience at Best Buy or even at Wal-Mart has changed over the past 18 months. One used to feel special, even priveledged, as you were browsing in the small DVD section while the masses were assembled in the VHS area. It was almost like you knew something they didn't. Now you have several pallets of DVD players sitting in the middle of aisles. Now the special feeling has long passed. That special feeling for me has now moved on to DirecTiVo (PVR). Somehow I feel the PVR is way off from going mainstream. I can also play the HDTV card in the future to get that feeling back.

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

The upside to this is that selection, at least at Best Buy, is getting better. It ain't exactly the Criterion warehouse, but it'll do... [​IMG]

6. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I agree,that who-ha,I am better than you special feeling is non extistent.I am starting my third year in the wonderful world of dvd and as most of us here,I have seen alot of changes in the people that gather at the dvd shelves.Everybody from the guy that stands at the $3.99 rack assuming since the $3.99 dvds are dvds,they will be awsome no matter what,to the lady calling her son on her cell phone explaining why he cant have every dvd he wants.Now it is just like going to Toys R Us or Dollar General..

7. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

8. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I had a woman approach me in Best Buy recently and I found the whole thing very depressing.
    She started by asking if I knew a certain movie (which I didn't - musicals aren't exactly my thing [​IMG] ). She then started to gripe about having to rebuy movies on DVD. I responded by stating yeah, but I don't mind at all. The quality is so much better.
    Oh boy...
    "Yes, that's what my kids say, but I can't see any difference at all!" (Proclaimed loudly as if it were the last word on the subject.)
    Then she went on (come on, you knew this was coming) "And I really hate those black bars!"
    Ok, I believe in trying to educate folks, so I tried. I tried to explain that movie screens had a different shape than TV screens. She bought that. I tried to explain about P&S cutting off the sides of the movie. But she was unable to accept this. She kept repeating "But I want to see the whole thing!" continuing her crusade against the evil black bars.
    She obviously thought I was the one in need of an education as she then proceeded to tell me her wonderful secret - the zoom button.
    I'm still depressed.

9. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Hopefully, widscreen TV's will find their way into J6P's living room.. thus ending the "black bar" scourge.

10. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

A coworker/friend of mine knows how much I am into DVD. When she and her husband got a DVD player as a gift she was very excited to tell me the news.

She went on about how the picture looked great and wanted to know the best place to purchase discs. But then she threw the curveball at me....What are the black bars on the top and bottom of the picture?

I explained that this was the best way to view the movie, especially since she had a 32inch TV. She couldn't buy it - as the black bars were very distracting to both her and her husband. Being the smart lady that she is, she understood what I told her about widescreen, but she was indifferent to the fact. She wanted the picture to fill the screen regardless if it was cropping the sides of the picture.

I told her she should get used to watching the movie with the black bars, as in the end she will not even notice them, and she will be viewing the movie as the director intended. No go. She refuses to buy a DVD unless it is Pan and Scan - and will ask me if a certain movie she is interested in comes in Pan and Scan.

At least, I told her not to complain to the movie companies - since if Pan and Scan displaces Widescreen I will be one mad puppy.

Let's hope that even if companies release Pan and Scan versions of movies, they will continue to release every movie in Widescreen.

11. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

13. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

[​IMG]
    Too many snobs in the world already. Let's not add to the pile.
    [​IMG]

14. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

15. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>Too many snobs in the world already. Let's not add to the pile.

16. Bill Balcziak

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Simple solution, add to the hardware that all future models must support a zoom that would make 2.35:1 movies fill the screen. Then you just use the center zoom P&S instruction in the existing hardware spec (like they do with 16:9 menus) and wait for the people to start complaining about talking noses

That'll teach 'em

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

In what way are you a J6P, Bill? You're a member of HTF.

The problem here is that market forces are threatening to make widescreen a rarity. Many of these people almost seem willfully ignorant. Note how, when the above HTFers attempted to explain the reason for those black bars, their listeners rejected the explanations out of hand. That is depressing.

19. Bill Balcziak

20. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

We all have bigger issues in life, to be sure. But OAR is the raison d'ter of this forum, among other things. If there's a chance to educate people about it, great. Unfortunately, these same people may put the kibosh on our ability to enjoy home theater. That's why the topic comes up so often.