Going to Bermuda next week. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveA, Oct 7, 2002.

1. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Next week, my wife-to-be and I will be taking a cruise to Bermuda for our honeymoon. We'll be docked in Hamilton for a couple of days and in St. George for one evening.

Can anyone recommend any bars, restaraunts, or other must-see attractions in Bermuda? We'll only be there for a couple of days, so any tips to help us make the most of our time there would be greatly appreciated!

2. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

There are lots of good restaurants on Bermuda. Be careful, some of them are very expensive and many require jackets if not ties for the guys. The restaurants tend to be a bit more casual for lunch so be sure to ask about the dress code before showing up for dinner. I lke The Porch on Front Street Hamilton for reasonable casual dining (it also allows carry outs which is mostly what I use it for) Also check out the Hog's Penny Inn, I forget which street its on but its only a block or so from the harbor front. Almost always a 15% gratuity is included with the bill.
    Unfortunately for you the best time to be in Hamilton is on the weekends when the cruise ships aren't there [​IMG] otherwise the restaurants can get VERY busy so make a reservation! There are some clubs on the North side of Hamilton, I don't know much about them, but I'm sure you can ask around. They also will block off Front Street on (IIRC) Wednesday evenings for a Harbour festival for the cruise ship passengers, this can be quite good fun, but it is not a year-round things, so they may or may not still be doing it this time of year.
    The best way to get around Bermuda is on a moped. I assume you can arrange rental through the cruise people. You can also get Taxis easily, but the mopeds are they way to go. The best beaches are on the south shore. Horseshoe Bay is the must popular (and therefore the most crowded) it does have the best facilities and you can rent a beach umbrella etc there. I think the cruise boats put on special buses to take their passengers to and from Horseshoe Bay.
    However very close to Horseshoe Bay and all along the south shore there are many nice secluded beaches, often almost deserted, so if you want to get away from the crowd and see the real Bermuda get a moped and check out Elbow Beach in Paget (highly recommended) Warwick Long Bay Astwood Beach, Devonshire Bay or John Smith's Bay in Smith's Parish.
    If you get a rainy day check out the aquarium in Flatts (there's a good little Italian restaurant nearby, but I forget the name), the Crystal Caves or the Naval Dockyards. You can get to the dockyards by ferry from Hamilton. The Ferry system is another good way to see Bermuda, you can do a round trip around the Great Sound in less than an afternoon.
    Get a moped, you'll have the most fun just riding around Bermuda on a moped. Remember B. tends to be quite expensive, B. $s are pegged to the US $, so you're spending real money even it doesn't look like it. Also remember Bermuda is not some backwater dependent on tourism. Obviously tourism is important but it is not the biggest money earner there, so don't expect the locals to treat you like a king just because you are a tourist. Having said that the Bermudans are friendly people who value politeness so to be sure to say "good morning" or afternoon in response to them (instead of "hiya" or "how you doin'?")
    Enjoy your trip to Bermuda, it is a very special place!

3. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Thanks for the response, Charles. That's just the kind of information I was looking for.

4. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Some more thoughts:
    Get a moped! [​IMG] I can't emphasize that enough, you will get a completely different experience of Bermuda if you rent a moped and go exploring!
    For good picture taking, take a trip to Somerset Village in Sandy's parish. You can get there in maybe 30 min from Hamilton. Its a very picturesque part of Bermuda with lots of great photo ops. Somerset Bridge is the world's smallest drawbridge (it has a flap covering a gap just wide enough for a small sail boat's mast to pass through) Just past the bridge is Scaur Hill Fort Park which has great views of both Hamilton and The Great Sound and the ocean on the other side of the Island.
    In the other direction from Hamilton is Harrington Sound which also has some spectacular views.
    Another good restaurant is PawPaws on South Road in Warwick (I couldn't think of the name when I posted earlier) It has good food and (by Bermuda standards) is quite casual and reasonably priced. I did come across this web site: http://www.bermudadining.com/ there is not a great deal of info there yet, but it does have a few reviews and a listing of restaurants with some links that might be useful to you.
    If you do go riding around the island you need to be careful, especially in places like Tucker's Town: there are many VERY wealthy people with property on Bermuda and they take their privacy very seriously, so unless you want to meet some billionaire's private bodyguards, be careful you don't trespass on someone's estate or private beach!
    If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
    Oh and the Hog Penny Inn is on Burnaby Street, which is toward the west end (Left if your back is to the harbor) of Front Street.

5. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

One piece of advice: avoid the Bermuda Triangle! [​IMG]
    I've never been to Bermuda but would love to hear about your trip. Congratulations (on your marriage), have fun and let us know how things go!