going to audition some AVR's

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KyleCT, Jan 4, 2004.

1. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

Im planning on going down to the local circuit city tommorow to test out some recievers. Fortunately for me i bought my spekers there so i will be able to test recievers with my exact speakers. Aside from my own personal preference in sound, is there anything that i should look for (or listen for) when comparing recievers?

2. GeraldK

GeraldK Agent

It depends on your needs.

By all means, take some favorite CDs and/or DVDs and audition them on the various receivers using your model speakers. Make sure that these are samples of what you'll be listening to on a regulare basis. I don't recall if CC has a dedicated listening room(s), but be sure and listen to the detail of the sound, such as the quality of the various ranges (bass/mid/treble). Also, consider what other components you'll be adding to your system later (or currently have already) and make sure that there are the proper inputs/outputs for those components, so that the whole system will integrate well.

Good luck.

3. JasenJ

JasenJ Agent

Hmmm... I wouldn't audition receivers AT Circuit City. My local one doesn't have much of a listening room, and are you planning to ask the sales droids to drag various receivers in, hook them up, and let you listen? Good luck. You're better off taking CC up on their 30 day return policy, bringing a couple home to your listening environment and trying them out.

To do a GOOD comparison test, you should take the time to set all the speaker levels and other options before listening. I wouldn't trust CC to have their systems set up properly - even the ones in their listening room. And, doing the set up procedure yourself will help reveal features, user interface differences, and other details that contribute to the whole ownership experience.

If you're not willing to go to all that trouble, just trust what the folks here say. [​IMG] Of the stuff that CC sells, Harman Kardon and Onkyo are your best choices.

- Jasen.

4. John S

John S Producer

6.1 (6 amps), Good suite of 6.1 processing modes.

For the future, component video switching of 50mhz minimum.

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I'd extend that to this: I wouldn't audition a receiver (or a speaker, or an amplifier, etc) anywhere but in the room in which it will be used. This may not be possible in all cases, but I'd find a dealer or make some sort of arrangement to audition the receiver in your room with your associated equipment.

This has nothing to do with CC; auditions at high end shops or mom-and-pop shops are just as problemmatic.