What's new

going to Atlanta (Georgia Tech) in a few weeks - very close hotel? (1 Viewer)

Benny G

Second Unit
I'll be going to Georgia Tech in a few weeks to try to get a research assistantship for grad school. I'll only be there for a few days.

I'd like to stay very close to the campus so I'm able to walk to the events (and also check out the campus on foot). Can anyone who knows the area recommend a close and not-too-expensive hotel? Or would I be better off just taking a taxi?

The events run Friday and Saturday. I'll have 7 free hours on Saturday. I'm also seriously considering staying all of Sunday to have more free time, then fly back late Monday. (I'd miss Monday classes, but that's no big deal.) Can anyone recommend places that I should check out? I'm definitely going to try get to the Atlanta Braves' ballpark.

Thanks for any help!!

Stacey R

Grip
This hotel is right on campus. I can't vouch for it though. I've never stayed there.

Holiday Inn Express
244 US-29
Atlanta, GA 30313
(404) 881-0881

Stacey

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
There's a Mariott Courtyard at the corner of 14th St and Techwood Avenue. That's a block away from the north edge of campus just on the other side of the Turner network buildings. And a Mariott Suites also on 14th St but a couple of blocks east of I-75/85.

I can't vouch for them either. Or for their rates.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
The Marriott Suites is nicest if you have the cash. The Holiday Inn is closest to the Administration Building (on North Ave), while the Marriott Courtyard is right down from the basketball stadium. There is also now a "Georgia Tech Hotel" as part of the new campus that is east, across the interstate. They may be able to offer you some kind of deal since you're doing something with the Institute (don't call it a university, or some people get mad...wierd, I know).

The west side of campus is where most research goes on, and is also where GTRI (research institute) is.

I'd go see centennial park one day, eat at Kool Korners Grocery on 14th street (best Cuban sandwiches this side of Miami), and maybe see whats playing at the Fox Theater.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Don't call it a university, LOL. Some call it the North Avenue Trade School. Some call it Ma Tech. Some call it the shaft.

I'm ICS '92. Every time I go back to the campus for a football game or whatever, there's one more new building and one less parking lot.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt

I'm a MGT 2001 (har, har). Actually one of the reasons why the parking was so bad was the new West Campus parking deck was deemed structurally unsound, so for almost a year they were short hundreds of spaces. Its gotten a bit better now, especially around SAC.

Benny - I forgot to mention it, but the MLK Jr. memorial is just a short jaunt down the interstate (if you have a car). Other than that I'm really not to keen on the ATL museums/sights. The Varsity is right on North Ave/I75/85, take lots of Pepto before, during, and after the meal.

If there's a chance you'll be moving down to work there, I'd also check out the recreation facilites and the housing stuff. And per my (and Patrick Sun's) recommendation, the Krispy Kreme on Ponce De Leon is not to be missed if you get a late night craving for donut goodness. Mmm, conveyor of donuts.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Been there, done that.

The Varsity doesn't scare me. There's nothing to it. If you can handle buffalo wings that are anything hotter than mild, a Varsity chili dog is not a threat.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But they don't call it the V-runs for nothing! Love the O-Rings and the F.O.'s (Frosted Orange).

I feel like I went to GT when it was in the dark ages because it's so much nicer now then it was in the late 80's. Parking was bad even then. I can remember filling out bubble sheets multiple times in order to register for classes (before the campus wide network was running efficiently). I remember when 9600 baud was hauling butt on a dial-up connection to the Cyber mainframe.

Benny G

Second Unit
Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like I'll be using the Holiday Inn on the south edge of campus. That looks the closest to where I'm going.

What is the Fox Theater?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I remember having to stand in line to get my ID made. Then hiking across campus and standing in line to get my financial aid check. ("Aid" they call it. It was a freaking loan that I spent the next ten years paying off!) Then hiking to the bank and standing in line to deposit it. Then hiking to the cashier's office and standing in line to pay tuition and housing. Then hiking to the bookstore and standing in line to buy books. But now I hear that at least some of the process has been streamlined and automatic between the financial aid office and the cashier's office.

Anyway, Fox Theatre is a historic landmark. Check out www.foxtheatre.org , especially the About/History menu item, for a description of it, because it's hard to put into words all the things to see when you go inside.

Romeo & Juliet by the Atlanta Ballet will be playing there this weekend through the next.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
In the waning years of the 90s, Tech finally fixed the majority of the financial aid and student loan mess. Now only parking is a total disaster.

Benny, what major are you? I was a GRA for EE while I got my MSEE ('99) at Tech. Let me know if you have any EE/CmpE questions about the school.

Atlanta has quite a bit to offer. What are you interests? Stone Mountain and the various historic exhibits around the state are certainly interesting. Or you may be the kind of person who wants to go hang out in 'Little Five' (counter-culture area of town). Buckhead is where a lot of the clubs are (along with a lot of problems). I preferred going to the Virginia Highlands area of town during my stay in Atlanta (a little more quiet and a little more upscale).

Benny G

Second Unit
I'm in Civil Engineering. Do you have any advice for getting a GRA? Supposedly about 1/2 of CE grad students at GT get GRA/TA. I've got a really good academic record, but no research experience. I know they're more likely to give GRAs to students who plan on pursuing a PhD, which is something I don't plan on doing. Any advice?

I'm definitely more interested in natural/historical things. One thing I will not be doing in Atlanta is going to the clubs/bars. :D

Is there a decent bus system in the area? It might be fun to hop on one and see where it takes me. :)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
For natural and historical together, Stone Mountain is the obvious choice. Closer to downtown, there's the Cyclorama, a 360 degree 30 foot tall painting which depicts the Battle of Atlanta. It's located at Zoo Atlanta, just outside the gate.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There's also the World of Coca-Cola, and Underground Atlanta. Turner Field and the Georgia Dome are within miles of each other (as is the Philips Area). If you like malls, Atlanta has plenty of them as well (Lenox, Phipps, Perimeter, Cumberland, Gwinnett Place, Mall of Georgia, etc).

There's the High Museum, north of the GT campus. Plenty of small clubs along Peachtree and other streets downtown and midtown.

In May, there is Music Midtown (3 days full of bands playing in Midtown, near the Georgia Pacific offices).

There's MARTA, the bus/subway system that can get you to the major venues in the city.

Just don't except propositions around Juniper St...

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Well, you speak English so that's an advantage. I did my undergrad at GT as well so that made finding GRAs a little easier (since I already knew the professors). Your best bet is to meet as many professors as possible and talk to them about your research interests. If you've done any research/work in the past, be sure to bring that up (they are basically looking for someone who has a good work ethic).

BTW, you can take MARTA to GT from the airport (no need for an expensive cab ride).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks