Going Separates one at a time...? Kenwood VR-509 as the Amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Fontaine, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I don't know much about using separates instead of a receiver but I know that to use a receiver as a Pre/Pro with a different amp it needs pre-outs. The VR-509 doesn't, but I was wondering is the other way around possible? If I ever go separates (I just wanna know, I have other more important things I would upgrade first) but is using my existing receiver as the amp and connecting a Pre/Pro to it's 6ch input at all possible or is the connection between the output of a Pre/Pro to an Amp a different format?

I know quality wise if I am to use a Kenwood VR-509 as the amp it probably defeats the purpose of going separate but I just wanna know if it would be doable to make it less expensive as I could buy an Amp later.

The reason I'm asking this is I was analysing my future upgrade plans and putting down a list of all the components I have and deciding what would justify an upgrade and I figured that the Kenwood VR-509 is very good and if I ever wanna upgrade I might as well go separates so I was wondering if there was a way to split the expense in buying the Pre/Pro first and the amp later.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Martin

I can't see why you couldn't use the amps of the 509 as you described. But what is the rush? The 509 is pretty up-to-date.

Upgraditis is a contagious disease. It tends to be chronic and progressive. And quite expensive.

How is your video set-up? Do you have a big screen yet. It is usually good to look at the big picture and not get sidetracked down one path.

3. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

4. NathanRT

NathanRT Agent

Martin,
    I used a VR-407 with an Acurus ACT3 in the manner you describe and it sounded great! I had to do this because uBid screwed up my order on an Acurus amp. I "won" the auction on the amp 2 days before the ACT3, but I didn't receive the amp due to a warehouse discrepancy. I had to "win" another auction and finally received an amp about 2 months later. I was fairly pissed off[​IMG]
    Anyway, there was a HUGE difference in sound quality.
    Nathan

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter