Going rate for Rotel amps?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Royster, Apr 3, 2002.

1. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I fell in love with the rotel RMB-1080 200x2 amp. Now its time to buy.
    Is there much markup with rotel? I'm seeing about $969 retail so I would generally ask for a 15-20% discount. Any authorized internet shops?
    Thanks in advanced - this will power either B&W cdm7nt or studio 60/80s. Reason I'm asking is I may buy the B&Ws and amp in the same purchase from the same dealer (small boutique shop). I've heard B&W is hard to get very much under retail so maybe the dealer can work better with the amp/speaker combo.
    I haven't actually started the negotiation process, just want some ammo. [​IMG]

2. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

John,
    That amplifier is a Fine choice. I just bought a 1090 a couple of weeks ago and was able to get about 10% off the retail ($1800). Not an incredibly deep discount but a little none the less.
    I also purchase my B&W gear from the same retailer and I get about the same treatment with speakers. There isn't alot of competition for them up here in Alaska, so you may fare a bit better.
    BTW, there is a stellar review in Stereophile last month on the 1080. They even power up a pair of Signature 800s with that little bad-boy. It does an acceptable job, too[​IMG]
    Jeremy

3. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

To answer the first question, Rotel does not support internet based shops and severly discourages it. B&W as well. I believe they also will not support warranties if bought used from a private sale.

So I hope my RB985mkII amp holds out for a long time.

Bob

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Thanks Jeremy, Bob.
    I have a 15 year relationship with another shop here in town but they don't carry rotel/b&w. This is my first dealing with this shop. It sure is a lot easier with my trusted salesman. "So what is the royster price on those?" We'd smile and he'd set me up real good at least 20%, sometimes 50.
    Maybe if they won't do much more than 10% I can get'em to throw in some nice interconnects - plenty of room to play there. [​IMG]

5. Andy Bell

Andy Bell Stunt Coordinator

John,

I bought the 1080 a year ago for $800. Great amp for the money! I recently got to demo the RB-1090 with my Paradigm Studio 100s and fell in love with it. Traded my 1080 in last week for the 1090!

6. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

BTW, one more thing to add if you haven't considered it already. Make sure they have a good return policy/upgrade policy. I don't remember where you're located but I have access to about 5 different shops that carry Rotel/B&W within about 30 miles of me. Fortunately for me, the shop I have a good relationship has the best upgrade policy (1 yr on speakers and electronics) and a 30 day return policy. It's the one that's the 4th closest one to my home so driving a bit may get you a better benefits if you are not getting the discounts you're used to.

7. Mike Gl

Mike Gl Stunt Coordinator

In my experience locally, one may be able to negotiate a 10 or 15% discount from the MSRP on Rotel or perhaps 20 to 25% off on a demo unit. Some dealers will only offer a discount to repeat customers.

There is a Rotel RB1080 posted on Audiogon for $700 obo, but Rotel policy is not to honor the warranty on such resales.

Good luck.

8. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

Well I bought my 7nts in Jan for $18xx (retail is $2100)

Mike