Going rate for installers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan_R, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Hi folks,
    Well, I've reached my frustration point. I want to wall-mount my front mains, the surrounds, and probably add two rear surround speakers on my walls for my HT. We have a house with a crawlspace (next house I get a basement [​IMG]), and I can't bring myself to crawling under the house all day and fishing speaker wire through my walls. I will freely admit that I'm not handy and I'm terrible at any kind of home repairs, so I'm afraid if I drill one hole in my walls myself then the whole blasted thing will be a disaster.
    So I ask, what's the going rate to hire "HT installers"? Actually I just want to hire a couple of guys to crawl under my house and fish wires, so I don't give myself a heart attack. Anyone have suggestions?
    Thanks!
    ~~Nathan
    ------------------
    ...just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Nathan,
    Instead of answering your question (since I don't know), I'll respond with a couple for you. Do you only need someone to lay wires in the wall and maybe hang your speakers, or do you also need someone to set up your audio once everything is installed? Do you know what speaker wire you want and where to run it? You may only need a general contractor if you can supply the materials and detailed requirements and are able to do the equipment connectivity and calibration yourself. I would guess that such a person would come more cheaply than an "HT installer".
    Doug
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

3. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Doug,
    I should have elaborated a bit more. I just need someone to run the speaker wiring. I have my wall brackets, tons of good in-wall wire, fish tape, etc...I'm well prepared to do the task, but I'm just apprehensive, you know?
    ~~Nathan
    ------------------
    ...just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.

4. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

the labor rate is $65/man-hr for my guys & they almost always work 2 man teams . the guys get about 60% of that...
    an electrician may be cheaper.