What's new

Going rate for a used (<10hrs) Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080 UB Projector (1 Viewer)

bigmeanbeast

Auditioning
Real Name
dylan
A friend of mine has one and is getting rid of it. He told me to make an offer. What is a fair price to buy it without ripping either of us off. I couldn't find one on ebay or craigslist. Need an answer quickly!! Thank you.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
no idea.
about 1800 new...so 1200 ??

Good luck!!
it is a nice little unit.

I have an idea since I actually bought one off of CL recently. Fair price if he has it still boxed, it's like new and you trust him would be less than $1000. I've seen them for well under $1500 new.

However, I would be wary of buying anything expensive like that if you value your friendship. If something went wrong with it, could you just forget that you just dropped at least $1,000 so you could still be friends? This may sound cynical, but I hardly, if ever do this kind of business with friends or family unless I don't mind giving away the farm.

Also, you could get yourself a little HD65 brand new, for less than half that. No, it's not the same specs, but upon viewing it's a great little unit. And it's small enough and light enough that you could take it everywhere with you. Just some food for thought.

Or why not take the same amount of money and just buy brand new? This stuff just gets cheaper and cheaper every year.

Lastly, my 1080 UB has it's share of issues. Buyer beware.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
What model again? There is an 8100 UB.. Epson has plenty of 1080P projectors.

If it's a Powerlite Home Cinema 8100UB, then a fair price (used) is anywhere from $800-$1100. You can grab it new at TigerDirect on sale for about $1400. Amazon lists them at $1449.

If it's the older 1080UB (released in 2007: http://gizmodo.com/254973/hands-on-the-epson-powerlite-home-cinema-1080--how-much-1080p+ness-can-you-get-for-3k ), then that thing kicks out the lumens like mad. But it's older, and so it doesn't fetch anywhere near it's once highs. It also suffers from RBE.
If it's got 10 hours on it, about $1,000. But I'd be bothered by the fact it's been out so long.. it either sat some where or something.

If it were me, I'd offer $800, and call it good. Here's why:

(1) You can get an HD20, or a Benq W1000 1080P projectors with newer engines and high look under a grand new in the box.
(2) The Epson is worth it, but again, it's used. and it's hard to pay more for it then a projector with a higher lumen count and newer engine (read: HD20) then it.
(3) You're not getting any sort of real warranty from your friend, unless you want your friendship to be bad. If you offer under, and he's OK, then fine.. that way, if anything goes wrong (like an early lamp replacement) you're covered and don't feel bad. Meanwhile, your friend won't ever be arsed to support you.

manBhindDcurtN

Auditioning
Real Name
Dude
John sounds a little cynical. I wonder if he's speaking from personal experience :)

I had an HD65 and it was one of the best little projectors ever.

And although I didn't buy the Epson 1080 UB (I bought an even fancier model), I have seen them around for the prices previously mentioned. $800 being fair. Any more and you'll be getting the short end of the stick... unless you believe in doing your friend this favor. In which case, he must be a really great guy! But I believe mattCR covered all the main points.

Also, I've heard that the Epson has issues that develop fairly quickly (like lens droop as well as RBE). So, I guess John may have a point in that you may want to keep business and friendship separate.

I suppose you have to ask yourself, if you really need this projector and be practical in what you want it for (and if you're willing to deal with issues when they develop; fixing electronics isn't cheap). When I was in college I loved my little HD65 (super reliable and inexpensive), but now that I have my own house with a dedicated home theatre, I have opted for the best of the best... a Giant Sony Bravia mounted to my ceiling and THX audio.

Peace.

scobygt68

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Sorry to repley on an older thread but I had to set everyone straight. I am a current Epson 8500 UB and a former Epson 1080 as well as 1080 UB projector owner.

1) There is no Epson 8100UB, the 8100 is the 2010 model of the Epson 1080(2007-2008) and Epson 6100 (2008-2009)

Similarly the Epson 8500 UB is the newest version of the Epson 1080UB and the Epson 6500UB.

UB stands for Ultra Black and the UB Epsons are better projectors than their cheaper brother projector (NON UB Epsons)

2) The Epson 1080UB still has a resale value (slightly used lamp being anything under 500 hours of use) of roughly $1200.

I sold my 1080UB back in January for just over 1500 dollar with 700 hours on the lamp. I routinely search ebay, craigslist and audiogon/videogon to see what deals are out there and the Epson 1080UBs are still going for about 1200+ on ebay (thats the average sold price not the asking price on some random buy it now auction), as well as on craigslist and audiogon.

scobygt68

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Epson 1080UB are still rather nice projectors. I recently upgraded to the Epson 8500 UB from the Epson 1080UB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks