going HDTV soon, opinions needed

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rick_FL, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

after getting 10yrs of service from my trusty 31in JVC TV, I'm going widescreen. I'm totally confused though what to get. My budet will be around $2000. I want a TV that is going to LAST. Are JVC still quality products? This 31in is still cranking a long after 10yrs. I was leaning towards Hitachi, since they have lots of experience in display technology. Any good review roundsups on Widescreens and Plasma TV's on the net?

2. John S

John S Producer

$2000 puts Plasma out of your reach.
    You are just beggining a long process.

It took me 2 months to decide which HDTV make/moidel I wanted to go with...

Go to as many stores as you can, and look at different models in your size / price range.

This is what I did, and ended up with a 60" Philips in the end, that I am very happy with.

People seems happy with nearly every make out there, just as some people seem unhappy with nearly every make out there as well.

Hitachi's
    Pioneer's
    Mitsubishi's
    Sony's
    And others too

All have top rated sets in your price range. heck even FP is well within your reach on that budget.

3. Rick_FL

yah, I meant RPTV, I couldn't edit my title. I actually saw a 42in Daewoo Plasma HDTV(not EDTV) at Sams for $3300. I may extend the budget it all depends

Thanks for the help. I was also thinking about getting a really large 4:3. Is your Philips a 4:3

4. John S

John S Producer

yes, My Philips is a 4:3 set. It offers native widescreen of about 56" or so on 1080i HDTV...

The set and other great Philips sets can be found at www.electronicsalley.com

They specialize is only Philips Factory Refurbed equipment.

My set was $1248 to my door. The 43PP9202 also a 4:3 set with a 1080i HDTV native widescreen mode is only $960.

Just for throwing out options. I do proclaim of the more bargain sets, Philips stands out on Picture Quality.

PS: If you order from electronics alley, and they do not have stock on the set you want, if you are willing to pre-pay, Philips will ship it to you directly, and you will pay no shipping, but this requires patience, I waited a week or so before it was finally shipped out to me directly from Philips.

I went with the large 4:3 set, as it had the best setup of all formats for me comming from a 48" 4:3 CRT RPTV that I had before it.

5. JamesClif

JamesClif Extra

Stay away from Sony, they sell well cause mega bucks are spent on marketing and paying for groups to review their products. If you are happy with the brand you have then you should give that brand another hard look.

6. John S

John S Producer

JamesCliff a bent about Sony huh??

They do have some sweet looking sets these days ya know.
    But man you do pay for it too. :)

7. Lance_R

Lance_R Stunt Coordinator

If you are dead set on RP I would look at the Samsung DLP's
    www.samsungusa.com

Have you considered front projection?
    2K will get you a nice DLP projector and the screen can be up to 100"

Lance

8. Rick_FL

Yea, I was actually reading up on some of the DLP projectors. One that caught my eye was the BenQ PB6200. What are lamp replacement costs?

nevermind. $399 bucks for a replacement lamp. Ack

9. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

You can stick with JVC, you will not be dissapointed and you could save some $$. I have the JVC 48WP74 and I love it. I got it for $999 at amazom.com. BestBuy and Sears carry the 56 inch version. There are also some new JVC models that are coming out soon. I think the model numbers end in xxwp94.

10. GeraldK

GeraldK Agent

Before going out and shopping, I answered a few questions to myself to cut down on the sets which were "eligible" for my application.

I'd recommend answering the following to the best you can:

Viewing distance, room lighting (i.e. bright from windows, artificial and controllable, etc.), W.A.F. (wife acceptance factor, if applicable), uses (console gaming, verify that the set will accept the correct signal, 720p, for example), wall space to place an RPTV or a projector screen, on-board tuner or not (which can control whether or not you can use your PIP/POP feature in some hookup configurations). I'm sure there are a lot of other criterion others can suggest as well. By all means, don't forget to read all the good news and bad about various manufacturers and models on this forum and others.

Good luck and happy shopping!!

11. John S

John S Producer

GeraldK,

You actually gave the best advice possible....
    A voice of reason for sure on it.

12. Jeffrey Beal

Jeffrey Beal Agent

Rick,

I was out shopping with a family member of mine for a tv around the same price range $2000k or so and I would really stay away from the enhanced definition TV's i.e. daewoo and gateway and others they cant correctly reproduce the true black's needed to provide the realism of a hdtv signal, I dont recommend being ooohhh and ahhhed by the slim sexy hang it on your wall from a cheep plasma when your dollar will reward you more from a good quality rptv some are even slim line design about 18" deep or so.

Just a thought.

13. Rick_FL

Well, I am actually leaning more towards DLP and just keeping my JVC for normal TV viewing. I'm gonna head to some shops maybe this weekend and check them out.

from what I've gathered about CRT RPTV, ?questionable 720p support?, one hidden cost that is generally not mentioned is servicing or recalibration that is required after a few thousand hours. Delivery costs and weight, another negative for RPTV's. Plasma, I'm not going that route. Only real negative I can find on DLP is lamp costs and some people notice rainbowing. Better Warranty on DLP units as well.

Thanks for all the opinions. There is so much information to digest

14. John S

John S Producer

Like I say Rick_FL, I took 2 months and looked at what must of been 100's sets before deciding.

My significant other was sick of it, and started screaming "Just Buy It!!" on every set I looked at during the 2nd month.

But, I was not disway'd from my path I had set for myself.
    As I really do think I ended up with the best set possible for myself. (Ok, well her too, she seems to love it nearly as much as I do. well not really becasue I am sure she has no clue the difference it has made in my life) LMAO

15. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

90% of the RPTV's out there will upconvert 720p to 1080i, just like most of the plasmas and DLP's convert 1080i to 720p. Aside from the cost of a calibration disk (which is recommended for any TV - RP, FP, DLP, direct-view etc), there is no cost to "calibrate" an RPTV, unless you want to ISF it, which can also improve and is recomended for all the types listed above. The only different thing you have to do with CRT RPTV's is convergence. This takes about 1 minute (for auto-converge) up to 30-40 minutes (for system menu convergence). It does not cost any more than your time since it can and should be done by the consumer.

16. John S

John S Producer

Well as far as 720p goes on my new set... There is no question about it. It does not do it period. I knew this ahead of time though.

17. Rick_FL

I've pretty much decided in my mind that I am going to go DLP projector. Ease of use, no hassles with a big bulky installs, and better warranty. Now I just need to go see some, maybe ill take a trip to Tweeter this weekend. I've researched a new TV off and on for about 2yrs, never could decide. the choices between RPTV's now seem to be even more mind boggling. I'll never be able to make up my mind which one I want. Atleast with DLP projector, it's all pretty straightforward. I'll just set my JVC to the side for normal viewing and use it until the thing dies.