Going from Rotel to Sony 4ES - a step down?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by stas, Dec 16, 2002.

1. stas

stas Extra

I just upgraded my speakers to Magnepans (12 fronts, MGCC2 center and MGMC1 surrounds). The center only goes down to 160HZ so Magnepan recomments a custom version of the Outlaw ICBM to direct the bass from the center to the fronts and/or subwoofer. I currently have a Rotel RSX-965 receiver, so there is no way to use the ICBM unless I get a separate amp, use the 965 as a pre and put the Outlaw in between.

I read the S&V review of the Sony 4ES, and it appears that its bass management is flexibile enough so that I would not have to get the Outlaw. I could select a x-over of 120 for the center and 80 for the rears. So here are my questions:

1) Sorry to all Sony fans, but I have been converted into a Sony basher. My preconception is that it can't possibly approach the Rotel in terms of sound quality. Am I wrong? Would switching to Sony be a downgrade?

2) Would Sony be able to handle the power hungry 4 ohm Magnepans?

3) Is there a way in the Sony to send all bass to the Fronts first (LFE and the surrounds) and then send everything below 50hz to the Sub?

Also, I am open for other suggestions to my problem.

Thanks.

2. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

"1) Sorry to all Sony fans, but I have been converted into a Sony basher. My preconception is that it can't possibly approach the Rotel in terms of sound quality. Am I wrong? Would switching to Sony be a downgrade?"
    Are you comparing a Rotel receiver or the 1066 to the 4ES or are you planning on using the 4ES as a prepro. I am using the 4ES as a prepro and am very happy with it. Also my friend has his 4ES hooked up to a pair of Wharfedale EVO speakers rated at 6Ohms and 87db efficiency and the 4ES delivers anough power to make them sing.
    Sound quality is very relative. The 4ES brings out details in music and movies which were earlier missing and the Sony has an incredible Bass Management which makes it very comparable to the Rotel and Outlaw. You should give them a listen and judge for yourself.
    "3) Is there a way in the Sony to send all bass to the Fronts first (LFE and the surrounds) and then send everything below 50hz to the Sub?"
    How about setting the crossovers of the fronts to 50Hz and let the SW handle the rest? [​IMG]

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have two 6 channel Rotel amps that I have had more problems with than all my sony stuff combined (And I have a lot).
    I would never buy Rotel again, garbage as far as amps are concerned.
    Hate too Rotel bash but they diserve some bashing

4. Daniel Lindgren

Daniel Lindgren Stunt Coordinator

Grant B, sorry for your problems. I have had no problems with all my Rotel gear (including a 6 ch amp) and I am very happy with the support from Rotel, regarding software upgrades.

All manufacturers have problems, what differentiates them is how they treat the customer when the problem arises.

5. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

6. stas

stas Extra

Thanks for all the replies.

I would be especially interested if anyone has done an a/b comparisson sonically between the 4ES and a Rotel or similar receiver, especially for 2 channel music.

Alternatively, I could do it myself if I find a store that carries this receiver and allows for returns. Any ideas on where I can find it? Cicuit City and Best Buy do not seem to carry the Sony 4ES.

7. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

Grant - Just out of curiosity, did you run your Rotel 6 channel amp in 3 channel mode? If so, the minimum is 8 ohms. If it drops below 8 ohms, it will blow a fuse. I was not impressed with their 6 channel amps. A Rotel tech told me they are meant for multi-room applications to drive 3 pair of speakers.

The rest of their amps are incredible. Very reliable and sound great.

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

9. Daniel Lindgren

Daniel Lindgren Stunt Coordinator

10. terence

terence Supporting Actor

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I used to run maggies in my HT and for a brief time I used a Denon 3300 to power them and while it didn't shut down it was clearly running out of juice. I'm not saying the Sony would either but I'd be careful. Maggies really do benefit from a dedicated power amp. FYI the Rotel 1055 apparently can run 4 ohm speakers with out much trouble (which I varified on my speakers)

12. AustinCC

AustinCC Auditioning

The Sony crossover has only 6dB/oct high pass:-( The speaker may draw more power from the receiver.

13. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit