Going from Definitive Technology speakers to Martin Logans. What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Goode, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Richard Goode

I'am thinking of switching my Def tech setup to Martin Logans. I currently have this system: BP2000tl for the

fronts, Clr3000 for the center, and BPVX/P for the rears.

I have a Denon AVR-5800 receiver, Denon DVD-2800 dvd player,

Toshiba 65h80 RPTV, Monster cable avs2000 line voltage, and

4 Richard Gray Power Company, XLO cables and bettercables on all speakers. Now dont think I'm crazy, I like the def techs sound they have have a difused sound to them. I listen to home theater most of the time. One of the reasons I'm looking at upgading because I'm putting the system in a smaller room-13x18 with 12 foot ceilings. I think the Def Techs may be to big for that room. I guess I have the upgrade bug too. What are your thoughts good or bad?

Thanks Richard

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Keep in mind that the Martin Logans sound best when away from walls (2-4'). If your going to a smaller room, that may pose a problem.

IMHO, I think the DT's are geared more towards HT where the ML's would do much better on music.

You'd really have to listen for yourself in the room to decide which is best for you.

3. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I would have to agree with Brian on this. The Martin Logans need some room to show what they are capable of. I haven't really listened to the ML's for HT, but for music they are grand. Do the words night and day mean anything to you? [​IMG]
    [rant]The cardinal sin that I see in HT quite often is people buy expensive very nice sounding speakers, then almost totally ignoring placement issues. If you can't place the speaker properly you really should find the size/type of speaker you can place properly, as your reults will be far better, whether that means a less expensive speaker or not. Too many people have $3000 speakers placed in areas that make them sound more like a $500 speaker.[/rant]
    Wow!!!... I didn't know [rant] really worked. LOL! [​IMG]

4. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

If I were you, I would try some different amplification with your DT's.
    How exactly do you have the DT's set up right now (distance between the speakers, distance from the rear and side walls, subs firing out or in, wiring method, etc)? Have you seen my setup guide? http://www.audioutopia.com/cgi-bin/Y...num=1006931043 I use bp2000TL's with a Yamaha DSP-A1...and the sound is not diffuse but rather very clear and crisp.
    The DT's should work well for a HT setup even in your smaller room...you should at least try them out. Good luck!

5. Richard Goode

Bob, thanks for info on setting up the speakers. My Bp2000tl,s are 5+ feet apart. They are at least 2 feet off the wall. They are toed in quit abit. I have the speakers

using XLO er12 bi wired on the fronts and center. I'm really not complaining about the way the speakers sound. I think they sound fantastic. My only complaint is with center speaker. It tends to sound a little boxy. I thought going to the Martin Logan theater would give me cleaner soundstage. Also would using the ML theater center with def techs be a huge mistake in tonal quality or could I get away with it. Thanks for input and look forward to hearing from you soon.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Richard,

The issue you have with your center channel may be driver orientation. There's nothing worse you can do than take a MTM style speaker and turn it on it's side. Unless you are always sitting dead center results will be poor (or at least less than optimum) with this type of setup.

You might be better to move to a center channel which can be oriented properly that blends well with your DefTech mains or replace all three. But a proper center channel is the key to a seamless soundstage.

BTW, I noticed you're in Melbourne! I have relatives right up the road in Merritt Island and Rockledge!

Brian

7. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Richard, have you tried a clr2000 for center? You might want to try a clr2000 (run as "small") and see how it goes. Make sure to angle the center down towards the listening position (you might want to use a magazine or a book to increase the angle if necessary), and try to keep the center channel as far forward on the tv as possible (with the front of the center channel placed slightly in front of the tv edge). Another option would be a PowerMonitor900 as a center channel, if you wanted to try a non-MTM arrangement.
    So...if you only have 5 feet of space in between your speakers, you should only need a slight toe in. Do you have your subs firing outward or inward? I suggest having them fire outward...but you should give them as much space as possible on the sides to fire.
    As for using a Martin Logan center channel with Def Tech speakers...I do not recommend doing this...but I guess it can't hurt to try. [​IMG]

8. Richard Goode

Brian, thanks for the input. The other problem with the speaker placement is that it sits on a toshiba 65 inch television. I thought that the martin logan theater center speaker would image much better because of the length of the speaker. And it has a better adjustable stand. My only concern is timbre matching, it may not be that bad. Small

world that you have relatives in Meritt Is. and Rockledge,

if you every come down let me know and you can check out the theater.

9. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Richard, I still think you should try out a different DT center channel...but if you do try out the ML center channel with the DT's, try playing around with the center channel equalizer which you should see in the receiver menu...then you can play the receiver test tones to see how well everything matches. Good luck!

10. John H

John H Second Unit

Richard,
    I'm using the same front stage speakers as you.
    I use 2 pair of BPVX for surrounds. I used 2 pair of BPVX/P models for several months but prefer a highpassed BPVX.

11. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Richard,
    as much as I love Martin Logan speakers, I would be worried about placement issues in your new room. Many of the issues that you have with placinf your Def techs could possible also effect your potential ML placement. They need alot of room to shine. The other issue you might have is budget... to run a full 5 ML speaker set up gets expensive!!! unless you are willing to go look in the used market for previous generations of Logans... anyway good luck in your search! I have a full ML set up and I am delighted with it... just sometimes the journey can be quite tedious [​IMG]

12. Richard Goode

Thanks miles for the input. My biggest complaint with my system is the center. It could be due to the cables I use XLO er-12 bi wired. I was more interested in replacing my center speaker, and going to the Martin Logan Theater. But my concern was how bad the timbre matching would be. One interesting note, when I run my test tones the center speaker and the left/right mains speakers sound different.

Im using the same cables for all 3 speakers biwired. So the question is how well would the Martin Logan Theater speaker match with the Def Tech Bp2000tl's.