What's new

Going from a 36" Wega to a 47" HDTV for DVD viewing (1 Viewer)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
My set is not properly calibrated yet and has the red push to an extreme, but after some initial changes to settings on my 47" Panasonic HDTV, I have viewed some scenes from a few DVDs (480p, not 480i )and must say, so far they all look grainier than before, with more artifacts that I saw on my 36" Wega.
Now, HDTV in the store look phenomenal on this et, but that's HDTV. I am wondering what DVD's people think are absolutely pristine on a large screen HDTV? I have a number of titles that I have always felt were stellar, including RUSH HOUR, MAGNOLIA and PLEASANTVILLE. What you guys/gals recommend I try on my TV tomorrow night after I have most of the initial tweaking done? I want a DVD that is as artifact and noise free as possible. A SUPERBIT, if you will.
I do not own TOY STORY 2, RULES OF ENGAGEMENT or ZORRO, so those are out (they are always mentioned as being perfect).
I do own DARK CITY, LAST OF THE MOHICANS (16x9), RED VIOLIN and the T2SE and I have always considered them to be as good as it gets. So anyway, RP-HDTV owners, please give me your recommendations. I can always rent something if you think it is far and away the best example of artifact and noise free DVD.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Why did you go with a Panasonic?
Why not a Toshiba set like the 50H80? You would have gotten a superior image. You just bought the set, and already you have to calibrate it. The Toshiba, you could wait a month and a few weeks, cause right out of the box, the image is awesome.
[Edited last by Antonio_M on August 14, 2001 at 02:46 AM]

Mike A

Agent
Just finished watching Caveman's Valentine..
Only a so so film but a very nice transfer. Very sharp and detailed with virtually no flaws.
Another recent movie with a great transfer is The Mexican.
Other older great transfers
Fifth Element
Gladiator
North by Northwest
Love and Basketball
------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks