1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Going from a 36" Wega to a 47" HDTV for DVD viewing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_Stevens, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

My set is not properly calibrated yet and has the red push to an extreme, but after some initial changes to settings on my 47" Panasonic HDTV, I have viewed some scenes from a few DVDs (480p, not 480i )and must say, so far they all look grainier than before, with more artifacts that I saw on my 36" Wega.
    Now, HDTV in the store look phenomenal on this et, but that's HDTV. I am wondering what DVD's people think are absolutely pristine on a large screen HDTV? I have a number of titles that I have always felt were stellar, including RUSH HOUR, MAGNOLIA and PLEASANTVILLE. What you guys/gals recommend I try on my TV tomorrow night after I have most of the initial tweaking done? I want a DVD that is as artifact and noise free as possible. A SUPERBIT, if you will.
    I do not own TOY STORY 2, RULES OF ENGAGEMENT or ZORRO, so those are out (they are always mentioned as being perfect).
    I do own DARK CITY, LAST OF THE MOHICANS (16x9), RED VIOLIN and the T2SE and I have always considered them to be as good as it gets. So anyway, RP-HDTV owners, please give me your recommendations. I can always rent something if you think it is far and away the best example of artifact and noise free DVD.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

2. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

3. Gilbert Galindo

Gilbert Galindo Stunt Coordinator

sounds cool man! enjoy your new TV.

4. Antonio_M

Antonio_M Stunt Coordinator

Why did you go with a Panasonic?
    Why not a Toshiba set like the 50H80? You would have gotten a superior image. You just bought the set, and already you have to calibrate it. The Toshiba, you could wait a month and a few weeks, cause right out of the box, the image is awesome.
    [Edited last by Antonio_M on August 14, 2001 at 02:46 AM]

5. Mike A

Mike A Agent

Just finished watching Caveman's Valentine..
    Only a so so film but a very nice transfer. Very sharp and detailed with virtually no flaws.
    Another recent movie with a great transfer is The Mexican.
    Other older great transfers
    Fifth Element
    Gladiator
    North by Northwest
    Love and Basketball
    ------------------
    Mitsubishi 55807
    Toshiba 5109
    Yamaha RX-V496
    DVD Collection