Going from 5.1 to 5.0 with stereo subs....

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ColinM, Oct 14, 2003.

1. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Dec 9, 2001

The system is this:
    Room - 13x28x9
    HK AVR110
    NHT SuperOne x 3
    SuperZero x 2
    SVS-based DIY Adire alignment.

I'm going to re-do the standard 5.1 setup into a 5.0 and run (1) SVS driver in (1) 2ft3 sealed enclosure powered by the PE 250w, 1 per main L/R channel. I'll use one side of the speaker level input/output, and that should hi-pass at 125hz.

The sys will be configured with no sub, main LR = large, all else small.

I really just want to hear in my own room what stereo subs sound like. This was all prompted by Soundhound's organ recording, and his comments on how it was done with stereo subs in mind.

I'll be using some old Sansui cabinets, guts removed and modified for sub duty with a new baffle. Wish me luck!
  2. Jeffrey Stanton

Jeffrey Stanton Stunt Coordinator

Feb 25, 2003
    I take it your amp does not have a L/R split LFE output? That's the best way to run stereo subs, but if you do not have that capability then the way you're doing it is next best.[​IMG]
  3. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

Aug 30, 2002
    This is a viable system when playing live acoustic stereo source material.

With MC music, however, you are introducing bass info 1 octave below the LP filter consisting of LFE, bass that's redirected from the sats and the intended FL/FR bass into your mains.

Also, when you introduce the mono LFE signal into your 'stereo' subs, the stereo effect collapses.

This, of course, is only my opinion and I'm always interested to hear an individual testimony of the perceived difference of the 2 setups, using the same equipment and room.

Let us know what you think.