What's new

Going for a Paradigm Servo-15 over PC-Ultra (1 Viewer)

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
Would I be making a mistake going for a Paradigm Servo-15 V2 over a SVS PC-Ultra? I want the most low end extension with the most musical performance (who dosent:))I have only heard the Servo-15 V1. Some believe that sealed designs like the Servo are more musical than ported designs so its a tough call.

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
Order them both and see what one you like best then return / sell-off the other. Also get an spl meter and test tones to plot the response and help confirm your decision.

Paradigm makes good stuff and I don't see how owning their sub would be a mistake. For me, the key to enjoying a sub is getting one that provides the extension you want with the clean output you desire.

I've no experience with the Servo-15 but I do own a CS-Ultra (had it for over 2 years) and have no immediate plans to replace it. I've had it in a 7,500 cubic foot room and it always got me the extension and spl I wanted. For example, 110 dBs uncorrected on the LOTR ring drop seated 15 feet away.

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure if you'll be able to find new Servos in Canada now.
I ordered a Servo 3 weeks ago and apparently they were discontinued.
I ended up going with a Seismic-12 which is supposed to hit louder than the Servo-15.

Got it for 2000$ CAN for your information.

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
My Paradigm dealer will only do exchanges after 10 days. Shipping back the SVS is not going to be economical in my location.

I am moving from a BagEnd sub that is very clean and musical in the upper octaves, but does not play loud with distortion down low. I know both subs I am considering will do vey well down low, but the musical performance is of great importance in my decision.

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
That is very interesting to hear that the new Servo V2 is discontinued. Are you sure you don't mean the Servo V1? Also, all the dealers in my area don't carry the new Servo v2...interesting.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
There is a new version of the Servo 15 coming.

But David- I'm curious as to what you want to spend. :) I think the SVS PB12-Plus/2 should be considered. I have the Ultra version, and I've plotted its response in my room to 11 Hz at -3 dB. There are some reviews floating about (Edward J M did one I think) with distortion results. As far as Paradigm, I do like the Servo 15, but the Seismic 12 is anemic. Bad distortion results when you try to play low freqs with any kind of volume. The Seismic 12 definitely does not play louder than the Servo 15. You can't cheat physics, and the Servo 15 has over 50% more cone area than the Seismic 12, a bigger amp, and a bigger box. Review over on Secrets for the Seismic 12 if you're curious.

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
David

Have you considered the Signature servo from Paradigm

BTW It is true that sealed subs have a reputation of being more accurate. The down side is that you need a more powerful amp to drive them. Porting an enclosure is a way of amplifying the bass output at certain frequencies. It allows companies to get by with less powerful amps. That is also wy most hi-end subs are sealed.

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure of the advantage the signature servo would have over the reference servo-15 other than exotic cabinet finish. The specs look identical for both subs.

Rob Bird

Agent
I mean, they don't just have a reputation for being more accurate, they _are_ more accurate. Both phase and group delays greatly favor sealed enclosures. You might consider a low Q (large)sealed enclosure with something like a Tumult, and a good eq and stout amp. It should price similarly and lay waste to the Servo 15.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

That is also wy most hi-end subs are sealed.
__________________________________________________ _______

Not in all cases; vide Wilson's way overpriced and overrated "Puppy" sub, for example: is a vented design (as is their obsecenely priced 18" bass driver-based subs). ;)

In any case, it isn't true that just because a sub might be sealed automatically makes it "accurate." That's taurine poo-poo; dog droppings; water buffalo spoor.

And while am at it...accurately designed and executed vented systems can be, and usually are, very, very "musical," far more than adept at reproducing musical SOUNDS. Period...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

"I do like the Servo 15, but the Seismic 12 is anemic. Bad distortion results when you try to play low freqs with any kind of volume. The Seismic 12 definitely does not play louder than the Servo 15. You can't cheat physics, and the Servo 15 has over 50% more cone area than the Seismic 12, a bigger amp, and a bigger box. Review over on Secrets for the Seismic 12 if you're curious."

I was reading that and although I see why you would come to some of the conclusions that you did, I don't know how you figure the servo 15 uses a bigger amp then the Seismic subs cause from what i've heard and read they use the same amps. I am pretty sure I am correct on this one because I looked at both before I decided on the seismic and its still one of the best investments I ever made.

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
The seismic will definitely play louder than the Servo.
Now i will not lie to you by saying that the Seismic goes lower than the Servo because it doesn't.

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
Yes the Seismic will play louder but what your hearing is probably more harmonic distortion.

What other sealed subs will play as loud and low as the Servo-15 in the same price category?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
OK, I just looked for myself. The new Servo 15 and Seismic 12 use the same amp, same magnet, same voice coil. But the Servo 15 still has the bigger (and much heavier) box and increased driver area. I'm not sure how anyone can conclude from that that the 12 will play louder than the 15. If it does, just like David says, it's distortion. The Servo limits output to keep it clean.

Nigel Hooper

Stunt Coordinator

Nothing.

Seismic 12:
MAX SPL: 123 dB at 50 Hz , 108 dB at 30 Hz

Servo 15:

112 dB at 40 Hz, 112 dB at 18 Hz.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Actually, At $2100 US, The ACI Maestro is another contender... At 20 Hz, outdoors groundplane, a single Maestro delivered 107.8 dB @ one meter. I am not aware if anyone has measured the Paradigm using this technique...

Either the Maestro OR the Paradigm would make an excellent choice... The Paradigm *may* have the edge for the Canadian buyer... ACI was doing a "Canada Special", it might be worth contacting them and getting a quote..

If you DO grab the Paradigm, rest assured the Servo 15 is a GREAT design ... and is NOT being discontinued...

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
My Paradigm dealer called one of the distributors in front of me,and the current Servo models are discontinued.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Antonio ... The V1 was discontinued ... this is where asking the right question matters.

Did he ask him if the Servo 15 V2 was discontinued ?

As of now, it is listed under *NEW* on Paradigm's site ...

DerrikW

Stunt Coordinator
"Seismic 12:
MAX SPL: 123 dB at 50 Hz , 108 dB at 30 Hz

Servo 15:

112 dB at 40 Hz, 112 dB at 18 Hz."

What this tells me is that the seismic has big hump in the output at 50hz. And drops off a good deal after that.

The servo will play a hell of a lot deeper, and alot flatter at that.

I'd take the servo any day of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks