What's new

Going back to sealed from ported (Tempest) couple questions (1 Viewer)

KyleGS

Second Unit
I've tried everything on my ported box (200L @19hz) to make it sound better. I can't tune it any lower, I've EQ'd it, I've run a FR, I've played with the phase, etc.

I loved my .7Q sealed box so I guess I'll go back. BUT... the reason for trying out a ported box was that I wanted more output.

Here's what I propose:

Keep the 200L box, load another Tempest into the top of the box and run dual sealed. Then scrap the PE250 and run a big yamaha M-70 power amp on it. (~250wp sub)I've got a Merchand black box coming to control phase, gain, rubble filter etc.

Will I run into problems with a sub on the bottom and a sub on the top?
Should I run one out of phase? Any other problems I may run into with this set-up?
Thanks for the help.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
The drivers should be run in phase. Both move in or out at the same time.

Another option is simply to sell the current Tempest and get a single high excursion 15" driver. Same output as 2 or more drivers, less work overall.

minhG

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with Thomas here,

I'd shop for a higher excursion 15 and then adjust the volume if necc with filler material (wood blocks, whatever) if you need to change the volume. No need to buy anything else, if you still want that new amp you could put that Tempest back into the sealed box and run two subs.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Kyle, I am having problems understanding your output & tuning problems.

I have a Tempest in an Adire Alignment ported enclosure
& get an "uncorrected" 88db at 10Hz from a seating position
14ft away from sub.

What length & diameter is/are your ports??

Get a Tumult..............:D

Isaac C

Stunt Coordinator

When you do get that high-excursion driver, some overhead chicken wire should do the trick :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks