1. We've brought back the dark theme, check it out here: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/the-htf-dark-theme-is-back-for-premium-members.353892/#post-4518110
    Dismiss Notice

Going all Digital - Apple or Vudu advice?

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Jeffery_H, Jul 4, 2016.

1. 61 Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Supporting Actor

Patrick
    I can't remember if you link DMA accounts from DMA itself or the streaming service (or both) but it's in settings. And yes, when you then redeem on Vudu the movie will also appear on iTunes (and Amazon and Google Play)! See digital's not all bad ;)

DaveF and Neil Middlemiss like this.
  2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Ok. Good to go. Thanks all for the tips.

I went to DisneyMoviesAnywhere.com and signed in with my wife's Disney World account, which also worked with Disney Movie Rewards. Disney has a unified account system and that worked with DMA. On logging in, it asked me if I wanted to connect to other accounts. If it hadn't prompted, there's a front-page graphic in the rotation to "Just Keep Linking". I then linked to VUDU, iTunes, Amazon, Microsoft, and Verizon FIOS. (That was all straightforward with various apps and websites launching and asking me to hit OK a number of times.)

That all done, I went back to the movie redemption page I'd left open yesterday afternoon and clicked the DMA option (not VUDU or iTunes or anything) and that added the movie to my DMA, iTunes and VUDU accounts.(Haven't checked Amazon, MS, or FIOS to see if/how the movie is there.)

Neat. :D

Josh Steinberg and Cranston37 like this.
  3. huskerbear@frontier.com

[email protected] Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    Yeah, itunes was first but, we can't expect everybody to be forced to buy Apple products to use their digital library (assuming we are going all digital) I agree, Disney's system works well. The problem is, there was no reason for it. The system we need was already in place. The problem is Disney and Apple consider themselves above all the others and, at least at this time will not cooperate. I laugh at the idea of UV needing to mirror Disney's solution. UV was put together by MANY, not just one. Disney gave UV the finger...I'd return the favor.
    This will not change until those that consider themselves above everybody else step off their thrones long enough to see the big picture, not just themselves...In the meantime, UV works very well thru Vudu, and those not stuck in itunes dungeon, can have all of their movies in one place, like me. I have no complaints with how it works right now for me personally, just realize we can't have this segregation in the future if digital goes main stream...imo.

4. 64 Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Cranston37

Patrick
    The way I look at it, the segregation of DMA and UV is fine as long as they are both available everywhere. With Vudu, once you are signed in to both services you are really unaware of them - all your movies are together.

I think if the studios wanted digital sales to take off they would play hardball with Apple, Google, Amazon, etc, and say if you want to license our product you need to join our preferred digital distribution method. I could see some of them playing but not Apple.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Because it's in Apple's best interest not to? And their customers interest for them not to?

6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    The studios and digital retailers have to keep doing what they're doing. They can tweak it a little (like Disney has done with their DMA program) but ultimately, in 2016, more people are renting than buying (as used to be the case before DVD) and the choice for most consumers isn't "do I buy it here or there", it's "do I pay for it at all or do I download it illegally, which is generally still easier and faster and more convenient?"

That's the ballgame now, as it is in the music world - getting people to pay anything for something that they could easily acquire for free. You will never convince most people that illegal downloading is the same as walking into Wal-Mart and leaving with your pockets stuffed with stolen goods. The only thing you can do is try to make paying in some small way cheap and convenient enough that people won't want to go through the hassle to do anything more. That's why Redbox is $1, cable company VOD is easy, why Netflix is super popular, why iTunes can survive just fine as it is outside of UV, etc, etc.

We who purchase movies for physical ownership have always been a minority. The only time it didn't seem that way was during the DVD boom, because at that time, it seemed cheaper and easier to buy a disc for $10-15 than it did to drive to the store to try to rent something that they might not have carried in the first place, or might have been out of stock if they did, or would have required a return trip if it was available. And once streaming rentals became viable, with no requirement to leave the house, less expensive than purchasing the disc, and always in stock, that was the end of that. Ownership was never the desired norm for the vast majority of consumers.

sidburyjr, Sam Posten and DaveF like this.
  7. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike

I agree....have been saying that for years.

8. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike

Apples best interest not to...ok, perhaps but, "And their customers interest for them not to?" I couldn't disagree with that more...This would be a big WIN for their customers....not sure how you could spin it otherwise.

9. Cranston37

Patrick
    How is it in their customers interest not to?

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Because it would weaken Apple's strength. Apple customers benefit from Apple being at the top of this hierarchy. Only Apple puts customers ahead of studios needs.

11. 71 Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Cranston37

Patrick
    FYI Vudu just released a new iOS app that lets you AirPlay HDX. It's not all titles yet but it's a heck of a start and it makes using only an Apple TV much more feasible...

Sam Posten likes this.
  12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    That's great. It's still silly that they refuse to make an aTV native app tho!
    wwwwwait, what? That's dumb.

13. Cranston37

Patrick
    Not refusing one of the Vudu engineers said they are working on a TV app but adding AirPlay was their first priority

Sam Posten likes this.
  14. twobelowpar

twobelowpar Stunt Coordinator

Ryan
    I've tried to AirPlay HDX movies in my Vudu library and the experience was miserable. It buffers, the app closes, and it's an awful way to enjoy a movie. So I end up firing up the Roku like I always did when I wanted to watch a movie I had in UV but not iTunes.

15. 75 Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Cranston37

Patrick
    One of the Vudu engineers posted this on their forums today... :):):)

IMG_0125.jpg

Sam Posten likes this.
  16. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    All for it.

17. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I hate iTunes for movies as if you do not have apple tv or an apple device you not going to be able to watch the movie on your tv. I have three episodes of the newer Battlestar Galactica Season 4 and I am not able to stream it from my pc to my TV. I have entered my ultraviolet codes on Vudu but even that is irritating as I have been having audio syc issues with Vudu! The video looks fine and my connection is more than fast enough so even if I use Vudu to watch something I end up hitting stop and putting my disc in anyway! I do not have buffer issues as my connection is 150mb/s up and down but audio syc issues drive me crazy. Besides iTunes not doing 4K and having to go out and buy an apple tv or some other apple product is not appealing to me. And people wonder why I would rather buy movies on a physical format. Freakin streaming still has it issues and at least if my internet goes out I can always put my disc in and hit play without issues like I get with streaming.