Going all Digital - Apple or Vudu advice?

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Jeffery_H, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Well, in Dave's case he was selecting the incorrect option on the website for entering the code, so it's difficult to blame that on Vudu or UV.

On the other hand, I just ran into my first "gotcha" with the 10 DVD's I converted to digital via Vudu. The transfer for The Hustler is 1.33:1 aspect ratio, which is incorrect for this Cinemascope film -- it should be 2.35:1. Needless to say, it's unwatchable. :angry:

At least The Paper Chase looked good.

2. 42 Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Second Unit

Patrick
    I had meant to make that point yesterday. Lately people seem to be tripping over themselves to bash Digital, trying to find fault where there simply was none.

In Dave's case it was user error, not an error of the system (and that's not meant to bash Dave - we've all done something similar, including me).

A few days ago a thread was started "Apple Once Again Removes Select Movies from..." and that was very quickly found to have been a mistake.

There are plenty of valid arguments to be be made against Digital for there to be a need for this overzealousness.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    It was user error. But, it was user error caused by bad ui design. I have a movie. With a code or credit. I want to redeem it. Scanning the multitude of menus and choices at VUDU, I find "Movie Credits". That should be it, right? Entering the code, I get an "invalid" error. Not a "this is the wrong code type, please try the other redemption option."

It took three movies before I realized there was another option, lower down and so less a priority, for "Ultraviolet Copy".

Now, I've got a movie credit for a blu-ray, I don't know why I'd want an"ultraviolet" copy. But ok...

User error. Prompted by unhelpful UI.

4. 44 Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Second Unit

Patrick
    Now come on.

Here is the menu on the Vudu front page. One click brought up the menu of options (1st pic) and within that the two links you used are literally right next to each other (2nd pic).

I completely understand that you clicked on the wrong link (again, we have all been there, including me), but to damn THIS as such bad UI that the entire system is "incompetent all the way down" is a *bit* much.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Saying there were "multitudes of menus" and that the Ultraviolet Copy link was "lower down and so less a priority" is just, as I said, being a *tad* overzealous...

5. Scott Merryfield

I wrote Vudu asking for a credit for my purchase of The Hustler. I am interested in seeing their response.

Cranston37 likes this.
  6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    In the past, they've given credit for issues like that. They will likely mention that they only can provide the master that the studio gives them (shifting blame back to the studio) but will offer you a credit since you are not satisfied with your purchase.

My quick take - the interface is not always perfect. But the branding doesn't help, either. Some movie studios list "Ultraviolet" on the Blu-ray case, but others (probably thinking that the average consumer still doesn't know what Ultraviolet is) use the term "Digital HD" - you've probably seen a zillion of those banners at the top of the cover art that read "BLU-RAY + DVD + DIGITAL HD" or similar. But what that's really referring to is Ultraviolet - the studios aren't helping by having interchangeable names for everything.

7. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    The term Digital HD was a branding agreement that all the DEG member studio's agreed to. It is used to refer to any kind of digital copy that is included with a purchase, including UV, iTunes, or even an Amazon or Google Play redemption. And ultraviolet usage is not difficult to understand. I have understood it since Wal-mart began to support it in April of 2012. Never had any issues redeeming or streaming a movie. I just think some people want to hate it.

Cranston37 likes this.
  8. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Screenwriter

Wayne
    I use both but prefer using iTunes on my AppleTV.

Sean Thompson likes this.
  9. 49 Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Scott Merryfield

Well, it's been about 1.5 weeks, and the only response I have received from Vudu was an acknowledgement of my issue and that it was being routed to the appropriate support team to address. I wrote again a couple of days ago asking for an update, and have received no response. So far, I'm not impressed with their customer service.

This has been the opposite of the great service I received from Universal recently. I contacted them regarding the Digital Copy codes in my Back to the Future Trilogy set not being redeemable through the UV services. I know they were the older Digital Copy codes and not UV codes, but I was curious to see how the studio would handle the request and I had never attempted to redeem them. They asked me to send them a photocopy of the original insert with the codes. After I complied, they sent me new UV codes for all three movies from the trilogy!

10. Sean Thompson

Sean
    I definitely go the ITunes Store route for my digital purchases. I just wish a floodgate of titles would open for availability, especially for TV shows.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    So what's the best choice? I've been redeeming movies with VUDU mostly. But I also have movies purchased or redeemed with iTunes. Can I choose both? I think I'm a reasonably smart guy with a lifetime of enjoying and understanding consumer technology...until I deal with UVUV stuff and I feel like a 90 year old grandpa.
    Guardians Redeem.jpg

12. 52 Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Second Unit

Patrick
    Guardians of the Galaxy is a Disney title so that has nothing to do with UV. The good news is though that DMA is available through a lot of services so you don't need to pick! (Just make sure you register for a DMA account before redeeming)

13. jayhawkai

jayhawkai Stunt Coordinator

Andrew
    FYI, if you are redeeming your Disney movies on Vudu the points should still be available.

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    If Disney has nothing to do with UV, can I redeem through vudu?

15. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Yes!

16. 56 Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Second Unit

Patrick
    Just make sure when you redeem the code you have a DMA account that is linked to Vudu otherwise it will be stuck in Vudu and won't propagate to other services

17. I can understand the confusion if you started out with itunes....then all this other crap started. It would be a lot less confusing if one redemption would work every place......and that was the goal of Ultraviolet. Everybody got together and voted in UV, except Disney and Apple, of course. Then Disney (who's tied at the hip to Apple) decided to do their own UV, of course, with an Apple exclusive to get the ball rolling.
    Many seem to see this differently but Disney's move, was a move in the wrong direction in my opinion. We should have one central vault to record our digital purchases, that we can view at any provider, may the best provider win, instead of, "hey, you bought it here, so you can only watch it here". When we buy a DVD we never needed separate players for different studios. Still hoping they get this right....

18. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yeah, remember that iTunes had a 5year head start and twin goals of UV was to weaken iTunes and kill rental to move to full ownership. Both failed. And then they never followed through on a few of their file formats and never actually made sure that if you bought a movie on one storefront that it would be sure to play in your front end of choice. And now 4K movies purchased on one storefront only transfer to others in HD or not at all.

It's a format made with goals that aren't in line with consumers and implemented by clowns.

Given that, Disney's cross walled garden solution is the least worst solution. All studios should mirror it. But if they do you'll need new logins for a dozen big and small studios, indies, storefronts, iTunes and UV itself. That's the tradeoff

jayhawkai likes this.
  19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    The amount I don't know is larger than I knew :)

How I link my vudu account with DMA?

If I do that, then I redeem with vudu, not iTunes, and then the movie will also appear in my iTunes account?

That doesn't seem right...but I'm really ignorant on the digital redemption system (as is apparent :) )

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer