Goin to Pittsburgh, need suggestions...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Doug:Li, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Doug:Li

Doug:Li Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

Im taking my wife to the Warhol Museum at the end of the month. We are staying nearby in the North Shore area. We need some good cheap places to eat, drink and have a good time. Any good bar or restaurants (diners?) For a bar, we dont need fancy schmancy. Irish pubs, Brew pubs are cool, as are shot & beer places. Just low key cheap hangouts that locals might go to. Maybe have a good Rock n roll jukebox(or a band). Hows the Taxi service in Pittsburgh? any good?

Thanks for the help

:)

2. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

where ever you go be sure to always wear you cleveland browns gear...you won't believe how nice people will be to you[​IMG]

if you ever watched the travel channel, there is a place in pittsburgh that made the top ten list for eating...some kind of sandwich place, but i forget the name...so really i was no big help to you

3. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

The sandwich place is called Primanti Brothers, a Pittsburgh institution that serves the fries on the sandwich. Not sure of the exact locations, I have mine at the stadiums, but I bet you can find them out online.

A good local place is to go over the South Side. It is the opposite side of the river from the Stadiums. On the South Side is Station Square which has more chain restaurants and bars, but down the street a little bit are the more local bars.

I grew up nearPittsburgh, but haven't lived there in nearly 10 years... couldn't drink then, but I'll try to be as helpful as possible.

4. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

South Side is probably the place you want to go. Lots of bars, restaurants, shops, etc., along about a 10 block stretch. Good live music at various locations there. You have to call for cab pickup, and then wait. You may want to call your hotel and ask them the best way to get back and forth to the south side. They may even have a dropoff and pickup service (its only 5-10 minutes away from the stadium area).

What else are you interested in doing? I live in the Burgh, so I can point you in the right direction.

Primanti Brothers locations

STRIP DISTRICT
    46 18th Street
    (412) 263-2142

OAKLAND
    3803 Forbes Avenue
    (412) 621-4444

SOUTH SIDE
    19th & East Carson
    (412) 381-2583

CHERRY WAY
    Under Kaufmann's Garage
    (412) 566-8051
    MARKET SQUARE
    2 South Market Place
    (412) 261-1599

HEINZ FIELD
    (Steeler Stadium)
    PNC PARK
    (Pirate Ball Park)

5. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

If Wholey's fish company still serves fish (haddock? scrod?) sandwiches, over in the Strip District (wholesale district), you definitely want to go there.

It's been 15+ years since I lived in Pittsburgh, but I can still remember how good those sandwiches were. The place itself was nothing fancy -- there was this line for fried fish sandwiches in the middle of a wholesale building full of raw fish. There was nowhere to sit down; you took your meal and ate it in your car. But the fish was excellent, the serving size was large, and the price was cheap.

6. Emmanuel A

Emmanuel A Auditioning

If you are going to the Warhol Museum, I would also recommend the Mattress Factory, a museum also on the North Side. Very interesting place.

The Mattress Factory
    500 Sampsonia Way
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

www(dot)mattress(dot)org

Also recommended (in the city):

The Church Brew Works (in Lawrenceville)
    3525 Liberty Avenue Pittsburgh, Pa. 15201

Best burgers
    Tessaro's in Bloomfield
    Liberty Avenue

7. Doug:Li

Doug:Li Stunt Coordinator

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. We're only gonna have a friday night and Saturday to spend in Pittsburgh. I will look these places up and try to get to them.

[​IMG]

8. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    If you're on the North Side (including the "North Shore") the Strip District is easily in walking distance. Just go across the 16th Street Bridge (Allegheny river) or across the other bridges near PNC Park to get to downtown and you can walk over to the Strip from there too.

South Side is across the Monongahela river. Walk over the Smithfield St. to Station Square and go left onto Carson Street.

You really don't need taxis to get most places right around town, although the South Side would be a pretty good walk from the North Side.

If you like German fare, I'd recommend Max's Allegheny Tavern on the North Side.

9. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor