What's new

Goin to Europe! (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Hi,

I go to The Univ of Florida and 4 friends and I are going to Europe for Spring break (Feb 28th-March 12th). Anyways, we'll have 3 days in Amsterdam, 2 in Rome, 1 in Paris, 1/2 day in Zurich, and 2 or 3 in London. We smoke, so thats a big plus in Amsterdam. But besides the fact that one of my friends went to Rome in 10th grade, we really dont know what to expect. I work for Hilton, so i got free hotels everywhere we go. Any advice on what to do in these cities, or what not to do? Any of you guys been or live there? Any kind of advice or recommendations would help. We're all 20 or 21 years old.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks

anthony

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
For London, you might consider looking at the following web site:
http://www.timeout.com/london/
This is run by 'Time Out' which is a magazine guide to what's on in London.
Currently the London Eye (in essence a huge ferris wheel offering panoramic views over the capital) is one of the big attractions (provided you've a head for heights, obviously!). The other standard things to do are the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, and the National Gallery (an absolute must-see if you have any liking for art). Plus, of course, at least one of the West End shows.
Check web sites for details.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
thanks..great site..

anyone know anything about the other places we're visiting? Good Amsterdam coffee shops? Must-see places in Rome?

SteveA

Supporting Actor
A coffeeshop I recommend in Amsterdam is one called The Doors. It's right near Central Station. It's a small place, but the bartenders (or "smoketenders" if you prefer!) are friendly and it has a lot of atmosphere. In case you haven't guessed, the coffeeshop contains a lot of Doors memorabelia.

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
I go to The Univ of Florida and 4 friends and I are going to Europe for Spring break (Feb 28th-March 12th). Anyways, we'll have 3 days in Amsterdam, 2 in Rome, 1 in Paris, 1/2 day in Zurich, and 2 or 3 in London. We smoke, so thats a big plus in Amsterdam. But besides the fact that one of my friends went to Rome in 10th grade, we really dont know what to expect. I work for Hilton, so i got free hotels everywhere we go. Any advice on what to do in these cities, or what not to do? Any of you guys been or live there? Any kind of advice or recommendations would help. We're all 20 or 21 years old.
If you "smoke" at home, why bother "smoking in Amsterdam"? You're there for all of three days, and the city has a hell of a lot to offer besides coffee shops. Do you really want to spend your 72 hours in a haze, surrounded by other American college students?
In Amsterdam, I highly recommend checking out the Rijksmuseum, the Anne Frank museum, and the Van Gogh museum. Go walk through the red-light district and perhaps check out a live sex show. Consider taking a canal tour.
In Rome, go check out St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museum (which includes the Sistine Chapel) first thing in the morning one day. Go even if you're not the least bit religious (I certainly am not). From there, if you're limber, you can walk to the Colosseum and the Forum. Don't pay to go into the Colosseum unless you're feeling particularly touristy -- it doesn't look much like Gladiator and isn't particularly exciting. Make sure also to check out the Pantheon (free) -- the oldest building in Rome, some ~1900 years old. Nearby is the Trevi Fountain (beautiful, but perpetually surrounded by tourists obstructing your view) and the Spanish Steps (and associated shopping and beautiful women). Be sure to ride the bus and not pay for your ride -- when in Rome, do as the Romans do.
1 day in Paris? You need a week to even scratch the surface. I say to forego the Louvre as it requires several days to see properly. If you try to see it in a couple of hours you will land up just rushing through everything. Go instead to the Musee D'Orsay, take a stroll up the avenue des Champs Elysees, and climb to the top of the Arc de Triomphe. If you have time at night, take a Seine cruise. I advise skipping the Eiffel Tower only because it is expensive, out of the way, and a bit of a let-down.
London offers lots of options. Two things I advise:
1. Skip the Tower of London. Too many fucking tourists like yourself.
2. Go to the National Gallery. This museum is one of my three favorites in Europe (the other two being the Uffizi and the Rijksmuseum).
In addition, consider stopping in at Harrod's. It's shopping (not my favorite) but definitely one thing London is famous for. Otherwise, play it by ear. The tube will take you almost anywhere quite quickly. Perhaps Buckingham Palace? :)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
FYI, unfortunately Rome (and Italy, in general) is rampant with pickpockets and thieves... so, keep tabs on your stuff.
I should have you pick me up some "pope-ners". We found these gitchy bottle openers with the Pope's face on them at the gift shop in the train station. We bought a bunch as gifts and someone swiped our bag off of the train. :frowning:
Speaking of trains.. Italy's ICE train is nice.. If you get one, you'll feel like your on the set of Star Trek the Next Generation with contoured seats and electric doors. It was a nice treat after riding the run-down rattling trains of the Czech Republic. (of course, this was 5 years ago)
Send us a postcard!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The trouble is that if a place is crammed with tourists, it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. The Tower of London is probably worth the queues if you're interested in history.

Personally I'd avoid Harrods, unless you are into shopping (in which case, don't bother with museums, etc, just shop!) - don't get me wrong, it's a fascinating place, if you really do want to go shopping (in which case, also try Harvey Nicholls as well). Buckingham Palace can only be seen from the outside for most of the year, and I'm pretty certain is closed until the summer.

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I'd avoid Harrods, unless you are into shopping (in which case, don't bother with museums, etc, just shop!) - don't get me wrong, it's a fascinating place, if you really do want to go shopping (in which case, also try Harvey Nicholls as well).
I second Harvey Nicholls shopping-wise, as well. I think it's actually superior to Harrod's for high-fashion shopping, but I didn't recommend it simply because its less well-known and not a necessary destination if you're not into shopping. I still have my Prada running shoes from my last visit. :)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Nice Anthony!

I have been to Europe-> Rome, well Italy.. Naples and a few other cities. I wouldn't say Italy is the cleanest places, but for the art, it's awesome. I remember when I was little and me and my family went into the Sistine Chapel (sp?) and there was no camera source of any kind aloud and I snuck a video camera in and sat somewhere and turned it on next to me. I feel guilty, psyche! It turned out pretty nice looking considering I could aimlessly aim it at the ceiling in any direction...

Oh man, I'll have to edit this post later and tell you where to go to eat, when I ask my mom. Damn, I forget the name of the plaza! But this food is awesome!

I hate the toilets, there is like 3 oz. of "water" in the bowl so you actually have to "aim" when you're going #2.

Hope my insight is anything to look forward to.

-Bert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks