Godzilla!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Martin S, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Martin S

Martin S Stunt Coordinator

Seems good old Colombia are giving us some more Japanese Godzilla films in December, including the new one TOKYO S.O.S.
    Anyone know if this and the others (Son Of Godzilla, Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla 1974) will have the much hoped for Japanese language tracks?

2. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    I really want the Original 1954 "Godzilla" Japanese Verson on DVD.

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Producer
    Supporter

Well, considering Columbia hasn't even given us many of Godzilla's film OAR, I doubt they'll include the original language track.

4. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

They haven't? I have four Columbia Godzilla discs and they're all OAR. Please give us all some examples of non-OAR Columbia Godzilla discs. Did they do ONE early on that makes you condemn them for all time? Is that it? The four that I have look great and are wonderful transfers. So, don't slink away in the night, give us examples, please. Thank you.

5. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

You forgot about G vs. Hedorah and G vs. Gigan coming out along with G vs. MechaG ('74) on Oct. 25th. They're coming out in a 5-pack with the American Godzilla and the previously released G: 2000. But, the G: 2000 disc is reportedly going to include the subbed Japanese cut on it. And yes, these are all going to be anamorphic widescreen, with both dubbed and subbed versions (excepting of course, the American Godzilla).

Tokyo SOS and Son of Godzilla are being released on Dec. 19th, in anamorphic widescreen with both dubbed and subbed versions.

The orig. Godzilla ('54) is coming out on R4, PAL (Australia) the end of Oct., as well.

The year of the BIG-G on DVD!

6. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Producer
    Supporter

Non-OAR Godzilla films (per the packaging, since I nearly bought them, then put them back and kept my Simitar-released verisons which have both Pan-and-Scan and OAR):
    Godzilla's Revenge
    http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...d=215762&tab=5

Godzilla vs Mothera
    http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...item_id=215761

The Ultimate Godzilla DVD Collection
    http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...item_id=215742

The last was the worst: A whole boxed set, and only one film, the first is OAR merely because the film's OAR is academy ratio.

Now, these were Sony releases, but Sony and Columbia Tri-Star are the same company.

7. ArthurMy

Those have nothing to do with Columbia/Tri Star. The Columbia/Tri Star releases are OAR. If Sony were the same as Columbia/Tri Star why wouldn't they be on Columbia/Tri Star? You are blaming, as many love to do, the wrong company.

8. John KB

John KB Second Unit

Sorry, you're wrong, but the Tri Star release of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah & Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth (2 movies on one dvd) are not OAR, that are full frame.

9. ArthurMy

As I said earlier, my memory is that they'd done ONE release not in the proper ratio, years ago. ALL their subsequent Godzilla and related releases are OAR. Really, you people need to give it a rest with all this silly casting blame where there isn't any. All their new G releases are OAR, so let's just not site here and infer because of ONE release they are still doing them incorrectly. They've done right by these releases ever since their mistake.

10. Martin S

Martin S Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if there's any chance of them re-doing the couple of ones they originally put out with OAR and particularly the Japanese track.
    GODZILLA VS DESTROYAH would be sensational to get with the original track. It almost makes seem like a whole new film!!!

11. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Keep one thing in mind....the English dubbed versions on these Sony discs are from Toho's International Versions and not the ones from the U.S. releases.

If you want to hear the same English dubs you did as a child, you'll want to keep the old copies. The US dubs tended to be better in my opinion, as the Toho versions are done very matter of factly and without much emotion.

There is a big difference between Toho's English version of GODZILLA V.S. HEDORAH and GODZILLA V.S. THE SMOG MONSTER for example.

The Gamera flicks have two different English dubs, too, and the old AIP ones are much more fun.

Still, I applaud Toho for finally allowing these movies to be released in OAR and in Japanese with English subtitles in the U.S. I'll be picking up al the discs, and also holding on to the old familiar US versions.

12. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

13. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher
    Thanks Jim.

Wanted some sort of confirmation of OAR & OSL tracks before ordering.. Anamorphic 2.35:1 & Original Japanese. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Will order the 5 disc set from Amazon so as to get the newer Godzilla 2000 w/Japanese version.

If I remember correctly from the commentary track on G2000, the producers for the US version cut parts & changed some parts around for pacing reasons. So the Japanese version should be a little different. Maybe a few minutes longer. Also some of the musical ques were changed also. Mind you Im going on memory, so I could be wrong.

14. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

"Keep one thing in mind....the English dubbed versions on these Sony discs are from Toho's International Versions and not the ones from the U.S. releases.

If you want to hear the same English dubs you did as a child, you'll want to keep the old copies. The US dubs tended to be better in my opinion, as the Toho versions are done very matter of factly and without much emotion."

This is quite true. The "International" versions tended to be dubbed by anyone who could speak English that was dragged off the stret. The American dubs used professional voice actors, including of all people Hal Linden (on "Destroy All Monsters") and Bob Dorian, one-time AMC host.

And even more odd is that on the "international" version of "War Of The Gargantuas" Russ Tamblyn's voice wasn't used!