What's new

Godzilla Sequel? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
O.K.. I have been reading various Godzilla websites (of the Japanese Godzilla series) and reportedly after the next one, the series will be gone for at least 5 years. Could this be like last time that perhaps they expect the american series to fill in that time space? "The creators of Independance Day" are gone, so perhaps we could get a Godzilla (MUCH) closer in appearance and spirit to the Japanese Godzilla films. Thoughts?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The first one didn't make enough money, so outlook not good.

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
For the love of God, do not let either of those 2 jackasses (Emerich/Devlin) go anywhere near this if it does happen. YOU SUCK DEAN DEVLIN/ROLAND EMERICH. 6 years later and I have still not forgiven them for what they done! :angry:

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Chad.. thats true it didn't do money wise what they expected it to do.. However, it did make well over 300 million at the Box office worldwide, which makes me honestly wonder why they havent tried to make a sequel sooner.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Pre the 98 release it was sketched out to be a trilogy. The sudden backlash obviously stopped that.
I for one am disappointed. I would love to see more of the American Godzilla, sans Broderick and the blonde girl.
Plus I was an extra. :D

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

However, it was very expensive to make and market so the margin of profit was far too small to jutify a sequel, which would undoubtedly make less than the original.

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
Chad R said: However, it was very expensive to make and market so the margin of profit was far too small to jutify a sequel, which would undoubtedly make less than the original.
You're forgetting the profit it made when it finally went to video and cable. Not to mention network TV. The movie made a nice sum in the end. I have read (last year?) that the studio is interested in making another American "Godzilla" movie. But the this time the budget won't be too extravagant. When they will make it is anyone's guess. I for one loved the American version of Godzilla. It was a big, loud, silly, special FX driven movie--just what I expected.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
If they ever do make another American Godzilla movie, I'd like to see Robert Rodriguez put in charge of the franchise. He's more than proven (with the Spy Kids movies) that he has a natural affinity for this kind of material!

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
When I think what Hollywood COULD have done with Godzilla, I was never so angry as I left the theatre for Sony's movie. First of all, that was not Godzilla, why does Hollywood have to continue to update things and make them worse? Why not call the movie Dinosaurus or something? They could have had an awesome CGI movie with the REAL Godzilla attacking New York and with good writers and wonderful Hollywood effects, not some weird disfigured lizard, to me taken mnore out of Jurassic Parkt than Godzilla. As a lifelong fan, I am more than happy watching the great new movies coming out of Toho studios, many now available on Columbia-Tri star, a huge improvement has occurred each decade. Mechagodzilla, King Ghidorah, Biolante, all the new ones are creative and not bad special effects either, and much better than the old punch and celebrate films. I think the American Godzilla was one of the worst movies made, of course, I have always been a fan of the Japanese design of the monster.

I can't imagine an American sequel unless they change the monster to take after the original concept, and create a good story. To think that this came from the creators of Independance Day, wow.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
The only actor I would like to see return is Jean reno. everyone else was downright annoying in that movie. Alas I don't think we will see a sequel.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

ArmandV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Armand Vaquer
No, there will be no GINO 2. Sony/TriStar's sequel rights expired about a year ago.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Thank goodness. I don't hate the '98 film, but it is not the Big G, and I hope not to see anymore of them. What I do want are the original films in original language, uncut. C/TS is doing a nice job with the new films and there are rumors of a criterion of the original (please?)
Not too much to ask is it? :D

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
"Elvis Presley. He was the king." Jean Reno rules.

But the last thing we need it Godzilla 2: Electric Boogaloo.

(Igniting cigarette lighter.) Gojira! Gojira! Gojira!

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
The real Godzilla isn't just a monster, he's a character. From his original dark primitive animalism to his later goofy incarnations to his eventual return to his roots, Godzilla is a monster we know and love. CGI doesn't make Godzilla, a man in a rubber suit and Toho do.

The Godzilla that trampled New York had none of the personality of the Toho Godzilla and therefore, not Godzilla at all. The power of Godzilla is more than destruction and mayhem, it's the realization that we're all powerless before nature when her wrath is unsuccored. Godzilla is a warning and the inkling in the back of our brains that we deserve Godzilla's wrath for screwing-up so much of the environment. In the safety of our theater seats we cheer Godzilla, recognizing in him, something of our own desire to right injustice.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
I noticed many of you say you wouldnt want a sequel because you didnt like the first one. That, I understand. But my real point was, IF they made it feel and look more along the lines of the japanese Godzilla, would you be interested?
I think they could capture the feel without having a guy in a suit. look what they were able to accomplish in jurassic park with the t-rex attack on the vehicles. Man.. what they COULD do with this series.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

It would be interesting, but I can't see someone here in America putting on a suit, and the idea of another person putting on a suit to be his enemy probably wouldn't work. I know they do it with Power Rangers, but I don't think it will have the same charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks