What's new

Godzilla Sequel? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Pete D

Agent
While I hated the most recent Godzilla movie (Matthew Broderick), I had heard when it came out, that two more had already been green-lighted.

Has anyone heard anything on this? I'm just curious now more than anything.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Godzilla 98 is actually one of my guilt pleasures ....although I hate Mathew Broderick. I remember it being greenlit as a trilogy before it came out but then nothing after as well. My guess is that it has become indefinately shelved. :frowning:

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator
I read an interview a while back with producer Dean Devlin who said that they had parted ways with the sequel because of "creative differences" - maybe the other half actually wanted to have a decent STORY for the sequel!

Mind you, G '98 DOES reside in my collection. Guilty pleasure......... LOL

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I'd rather see more of the Japanese Godzilla movies be released theatrically (well here in the US) instead of a sequel to the remake, just like Godzilla 2000 (which was actually pretty good in terms of Godzilla movies).

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I could see a whole lot of Godzilla sequels being really successful...
...if they're released straight-to-video!
;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Dean Devlin & Roland Emmerich are actually the force behind the upcoming "Eight Legged Freaks." So they're still making cheesy monster movies, they've just changed monsters. Maybe Godzilla will make a cameo? :)

Gruson

Second Unit
Well, I hated Godzilla when I first saw it in 1998. However, I recently watched it again and it was pretty good. Very good DVD to show off your system. It is not the best movie out there but I would welcome a sequel :)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I think it got such huge backlash because of all the hype they did for it. I would have cast someone other than Broderick though.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I thought the Godzilla 2000 movie was the sequel to the 1998 "Hollywood" Godzilla!

The "space alien" that morphs into a Godzilla "look-alike" in that movie ends up looking suspiciously close to the "Hollywood" 1998 depiction of Godzilla. He, of course, then gets his ass whupped by the "real" Godzilla!

THE BOTTOM LINE is that the 1998 Godzilla movie was a nice monster movie (in the vein of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms), but it was most definitely *NOT* a Godzilla movie!

Ryan Donovan

Stunt Coordinator
The movie was pretty good, but I liked the hype even more...those were some exciting times! The Taco Bell dog was hunting Godzilla down, and there were billboards all over the place saying stuff like "Size DOES Matter", and the best part, nobody knew what Godzilla looked like!

Ahhhh, how I miss 1998...

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Yeah the hype definately was cool, especially in NYC. The huge banners at Madison Square Garden, the billboards that said "His head begins here" then further down the road "His tail ends here". I remember waiting for the teaser trailers with a friend who also worked at Sony Lincoln Square. Our theatre didn't get the trailer but 84th street did so we both ran up there on our lunch break and watched the teaser then ran back.
The old man fishing and the New Year's Eve trailer were the best. I was disappointed to see that the New Year's Eve teaser wasn't on the DVD. :frowning:
As for Broderick, I think it is the way he talks, or his voice that just rubs me the wrong way.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
I'll be the first to admit it wasnt the blockbuster people were hoping for,but the 98 version still made quite a bit of money. Also, i know many (ok, most) Godzilla fans were more than disappointed in the new look and abilities, but perhaps since devlin and emmerich have backed out (thats wht i hear anyway) we'll see something a little bit more faithful to the origina l japan big G. I havent heard any new info in a looong time. anyone got the scoop? thanks in advance.:)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I'd like to see a sequel to this. Maybe the offspring once they grow a little, will lokk closer to the original Japanese Godzilla, than the 98 T-Rex version.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I think it would be more fun to simply do a Toho-continuity Gojira movie set on the American west coast (LA & Seattle?) or Australia/New Zealand. Produce it in English, with Hollywood production values (including the best dang suit Rick Baker and Stan Winston can build), but make it feel like the Toho movies that people actually are fond of.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I'm probably one of the few that liked Godzilla 98 and the new look. I remember that it was planned as a trilogy but since it didn't do as well as they hoped (even though I don't see how $375m worldwide + video and dvd sales is a failure) they scrapped it.

I would like to see a sequel but not by someone that wants to reinvent the wheel again nor go back to the man in a rubber suit look of Toho.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I'd like the look of the 98 Godzilla, but the shapes of the creature more like the man in the suit version. For example, the humps on the back were all wrong in the 98 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks