What's new

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (May 31, 2019) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I agree that "Shin Godzilla" focused a lot on how bureaucratic the Japanese government response to him showing up was. Anno's take is closer to the tack that was taken in the very first film. Anno's film was as much a statement on the ossified Japanese bureaucracy and its inability to respond rapidly to sudden change, either positive or negative, as much as it was a Kaiju film.

Edit: Sorry, had to add that last phrase.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think you exaggerate. I found the scene had weight. Hell these monsters have more agility than anything that size should have.

I am comparing how Godzilla moved in Anno's film and this one. AFAIAC, Anno's crew did a better job of making the character look realistic in its movement and speed. I mean, basically, they are using the design from Anno's film in this production.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I am comparing how Godzilla moved in Anno's film and this one. AFAIAC, Anno's crew did a better job of making the character look realistic in its movement and speed. I mean, basically, they are using the design from Anno's film in this production.
In a film about impossible monsters, “realistic” can be a very subjective thing. I found the 2014 Godzilla to be realistic and have seen nothing in the trailer to change my mind. I should add that I dislike all (at least I can’t think of any I like) men-in-a-monster-suit movies. That’s just to illustrate my taste, this new movie isn’t one of those.

And I liked the Big G in 1998 American version, and he was even more agile.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In a film about impossible monsters, “realistic” can be a very subjective thing. I found the 2014 Godzilla to be realistic and have seen nothing in the trailer to change my mind. I should add that I dislike all (at least I can’t think of any I like) men-in-a-monster-suit movies. That’s just to illustrate my taste, this new movie isn’t one of those.

We are starting to split hairs here. When I talk about "realistic", I am talking about how I would perceive a mountain of meat to physically react in a given environment. Just because it is a movie, does not give the makers carte blanche to ignore physics. I mean I don't expect a film to be 100% scientifically accurate, especially a monster movie. They can bend the rules but they still have to make it look convincing even if they are not totally accurate and, to me, Godzilla's "rush" didn't look convincing. It looked environmentally weightless. However, I have to say that the visuals in the trailer are early days. The finished product may look much better.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
We are starting to split hairs here. When I talk about "realistic", I am talking about how I would perceive a mountain of meat to physically react in a given environment. Just because it is a movie, does not give the makers carte blanche to ignore physics.

The very size of these monsters blatantly ignores the laws of physics. It is physically impossible for any living creature to become this big on Earth. Not even close. Sure, the filmmakers have to do their best to make things LOOK credible, but not a damn thing involving any of the titans could possibly BE credible. That's part of what makes films like these so fun for me.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We are starting to split hairs here.

The very size of these monsters blatantly ignores the laws of physics. It is physically impossible for any living creature to become this big on Earth. Not even close.
My definition of what looks real has got to get pretty loose when talking Godzilla. Still the scene referenced looks good to me.

Now when you're talking dinosaurs, animals that really walked on the planet, more realism is required. I said more, but not total realism.

I comes down to the fact that I'm just so easy, ok a whore, when it comes to giant monsters that are not men in a suit. :P

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
New Japanese poster:

gjr7boa8u5k21.jpg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Can a Mod please change the date from this Friday Mar 22 to the correct one to avoid confusion. May 31,2019.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
If you see Shazam! on an IMAX screen this weekend it's supposed to have a 5 minute Godzilla: King of the Monsters preview play before it (probably what was shown to Cinemacon this week).

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
An new TV spot with quite a bit of new footage. I am REALLY looking forward to this movie!

"It's Godzilla's world. We only live in it."

In another trailer, "So you'd want to make Godzillla our pet?" "No. We would be his."

:D

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
If you see Shazam! on an IMAX screen this weekend it's supposed to have a 5 minute Godzilla: King of the Monsters preview play before it (probably what was shown to Cinemacon this week).

Yeah, saw it last night. It's...loud. And big. I'm not pumped for it like Robert, but I know I'll see it opening weekend. Out of context, the footage is really just a lot of CGI (I'm not dissing it). In the movie, I'm sure it will have more weight for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks