What's new

GODZILLA is coming! (1 Viewer)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I wonder if TOHO is going to look at the sales of these as an indication of allowing more past releases into the US with Japanese language tracks w/english subs.

Also, the only thing that scares me though is if TOHO gets cold feet and pulls the Japanese language track like with Godzilla 2000 DVD.

I will definitely be buying these on 1/13/2004.

I'm guessing everyone here knows what a Rialto theatrical release might mean as far as what studio will most probably release the DVD....
If that's the case, :D :D :D woohoo, indeed :D :D :D

Dave Kalloch

Stunt Coordinator
"Rounding out Columbia's January 6th lineup are two classic ToHo titles, Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus and Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidora: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack. Each is presented in new 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfers with remixed Japanese and English 5.1 Dolby soundtracks. Extras include only bonus trailers. Retail will also be set at $24.95 each."
I ordered these from Deep Discount DVD Back in December. Anyone get a ship confirmation yet?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
You did see that the Rialto promo says "Coming to Theaters Only," didn't you? I'm not so sure we'll ever see an English-subbed version of the original.:frowning:

ChristopherDM

Stunt Coordinator
Monster Zero( http://www.clubtokyo.org/monsterzero/)is reporting that Godzilla X MechaGodzilla(III) was picked up by Sony and will be released on DVD later this spring details follow on the link.
I forgot it is the 50th Anny of Godzilla and Toho does plan a big film for later in the year

Cheers,
Chris

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the R1 and R3 versions of these two movies?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Rialto is releasing the original Japanese version of Godzilla/Gorjira in theaters and DVD?

F**kin A!

I've been waiting quite some time for this.

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I was tempted to pick these up (well, GMK, anyway) last week when Borders broke the street date. I decided to pass because I had heard the DVDs are "dubtitled" (i.e., the English subtitles match the English dub and not the Japanese track). Can anybody confirm that the discs have proper English subtitles?

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Yes, these are "dubtitled", but you shouldn't let that scare you off from these. The subs are quite adequate except for a couple obvious instances (a woman cheering on the soldiers closes with, "You're all going to die!", and when the two hero's missiles miss Godzilla and hit Ghidorah by mistake, they exclaim, "Yes!" and "Excellent!".)

Even the best subtitling is a translation, and a translation is merely an approximation of what is being said. If it annoys you that much, turn the subs off and you still have a picture as good (if not a tad better) than the R2 discs (which don't have any subs either).

ChristopherDM

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished watching both of these, and I have to say kudos to columbia/tristar for giving us subs and great picture and sound, I hope they do exaclty the same thing when they release Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla III in March.

Chris

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
As I said last page but no one seems to be reading, the Rialto page that's linked says "coming to theaters only." That seems to me to imply NO DVD. Of course, that may change in the future but it sure seems that presently there are no DVD plans in the works.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I just watched "GvsM" and I was impressed, some scenes were really well done...especially when showing Gozilla from a rear aerial shot.

I enjoyed listening to the Japanese track with English subtitles but I did notice that it had more background noise than the English track.

Will watch the other one tonite. :D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I went to Best Buy on Tuesday and couldnt find any.

I finally asked and they have about 5 copies of each in the back.

I only bought G,M,KG:AOMA and Ill watch it tonight.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Hmmmm, the EE on GMK didn't look that bad to me, though I did notice a tad. But I'll take another look tonight. Still looks better than a D+ to me.

Still, compared to an ...um, other copy I've got, there's no comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks