Godzilla fans

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Wilson, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    In looking at the details of each disc, it appears that they are all pan-and-scan only. No sale here.

3. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher
    Mark,

Here is a list of what has been released R1 as far as I know & own with company that released it.

1. Godzilla, King Of The Monsters(1956)-Simitar WS/PS

2. Godzilla vs Mothra-Simitar WS/PS

3. Godzilla vs Monster Zero-Simitar WS/PS

4. Godzilla's Revenge-Simitar WS/PS

5. Terror Of Mechagodzilla-Simitar PS

6. King Kong vs Godzilla-Goodtimes PS

7. Destroy All Monsters-ADV Films WS

8. Godzilla vs King Gidorah/Godzilla and Mothra:The Battle For Earth-Columbia Tri Star PS

9. Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla/Godzilla vs Destroyah-Columbia Tristar WS

10. Godzilla 2000-Columbia Tri Star WS

Of the above mentioned DVD's only #'s 9 & 10 are anamorphic.

Destroy All Monsters has no individual chapters. Terror of Mechagodzilla is a horrible transfer. Otherwise the others are worth getting if you can find em. Hope this helps.

Peace--Joe

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Joe, I have that same list. I think someone is trying to release Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster and Godzilla vs. Megalon, but the last time I checked they weren't out yet. The previous roumored release was for one of the above titles and another earlier one. These two were supposed to be Nov. 27th.

Just for checking, you do know there are 24 out now? The multiple U.S./Japanesse titles has been mess.

Glenn

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Jack you just aged yourself[​IMG], I also remember watching the 4:30 movie on Channel 7 during Monster week, oh the good ole days. I remember my favorite was Johnny Sokko and his Giant Robot, Channel 7 showed the whole thing in the hour and a half unlike how they released in parts. [​IMG]

6. Joseph Goodman

Joseph Goodman Stunt Coordinator

The "widescreen" version of "Godzilla, King Of The Monsters" is completely bogus, as the movie was filmed in Academy 1.37:1 and never intended to be matted (the Simitar disc is matted to 1.66:1). The quality of the Simitar discs ranges from merely acceptable (Godzilla's Revenge) to simply atrocious (Godzilla VS. Mothra).

The Taiwanese discs mentioned above are all pan & scan and supposedly of poor quality.

The following Godzilla and other Toho sci-fi films are available as region 2 discs in Japan:

Godzilla, King Of The Monsters (1.37:1 Academy)

Godzilla Raids Again (AKA Gigantis, The Fire Monster, 1.37:1 Academy)

Rodan (1.37:1 Academy)

The Mysterians (2.35:1, 16x9 enhanced)

The Human Vapor (2.35:1, 16x9 enhanced, comes out in

January)

King Kong Vs. Godzilla (2.35:1, 16x9 enhanced)

Ghidrah, The Three-Headed Monster (2.35:1, 16x9 enhanced, comes out December 25)

Frankenstein Conquers The World (2.35:1, 16x9 enhanced)

War Of The Gargantuas (2.35:1, 16x9 enhanced, comes out in January)

Godzilla 2000 (2.35:1, 16x9 enhanced, 2-disc edition)

Godzilla X Megaguiras (released theatrically in 2000, 2.35:1, 16x9 enhanced, 2-disc edition)

All of the above are special editions, with commentaries, isolated scores, behind the scenes footage, the original mono Japanese audio, and 5.1 remixes for the post-"Mysterians" films ("Kong vs. Godzilla" includes the original four-track 35mm mag mix). There are no English subtitles on any of these discs.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Don't forget that the domestic Godzilla discs are dubbed and butchered(On the G2K commentary the guy actually brags about moving scenes around!!!). No OSL= NO SALE!

"Johnny Socko and His Flying Robot" was a TV series, and the movies are just edited from episodes. The original series "Giant Robo" had a wonderful anime series made from it, which is coming out next year on DVD.

8. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Did the rights to these expire? Or did Scimitar just go under?

What are the chances of ever getting the Original Japanese version (subtitled) of Gojira (1954) on DVD?

Criterion or Anchor Bay would be good for this. Or is this just a pipe dream.

9. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    John Goodman
    Where can we order these Japanese versions? Sometimes you see them on eBay on laser(which I still collect), but they are expensive. I would love to see these movies the way they were meant to be seen! [​IMG]

10. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

The Simitar DVDs were ILLEGAL. Well, not completely (they got the rights from UPA), but they didn't get Toho's consent to release them, and Toho forced Simitar to recall the DVDs.

11. StephenC

StephenC Stunt Coordinator

Wasn't Anchor Bay going to release Godzilla 1985(The Return of Godzilla)?Who,in rg.1,has the rights to the earlier films in the series?Also,does Sony own the rights to G vs Megaguires?

12. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Toho has currently not licensed the North American distribution rights to any Godzilla films predating "Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah" (1991) to any video distributors. And chances are that all the films Columbia currently controls will end up back at Toho in the near future, considering that Columbia doesn't give a shit about the films (I have the same views about Disney and the Studio Ghibli library, but let's not get into that...) I think Anchor Bay or Home Vision/Criterion would probably end up with the DVD distribution rights...but that's just me.

13. Joseph Goodman

14. Joseph Goodman

15. Joseph Goodman

16. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but this seemed like a good place to put this. I just popped in Destroy All Monsters (one of my childhood favorites!) and I'm noticing that the titles look cropped. Is this possibly panned & scanned AND THEN matted for letterboxes? I'm concerned about how much picture I might be missing here!

EDIT: never mind... after watching it last night, I realized the movie is WAAAAAAAAAY more boring than I remembered, so I'm getting rid of it anyway.

What a weird disc, though. The ultimate in "barebones"... no trailer, no chapter stops, no menu.... you pop it in and it starts playing, and when it's finished it just starts over again!

17. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

I must have missed this thread when it was making its rounds originally.
    I have the Simitar disc of Godzilla, King of the Monsters, and after having watched it I was thinking that what I would really like is a a disc with the Americanized (Raymond Burr) version, as well as the original Japanese version (with subtitles). I would pay good money for that.
    Where's Anchor Bay when you need them?

18. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I'm sure Anchor Bay would love to put them out, but Toho ain't givin' up the rights. I'd love to see the original version of all the films, I've only seen them edited.

That said, the Godzilla 2000 preview screening I went to was easily one of the most fun experiences I've ever had with a movie. It's a pity it wasn't more successful so we could see the releases of the subsequent films.