What's new

Godzilla DVDs availablein Japan? (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Having grown up on them, I am a nostolgic Godzilla fan. Even as a pre-teen, I was hardcore fan enough to obtain a copy of all the available-in-the-U.S. titles (on VHS:b )

When simitar released a handful of Godzilla films it was bittersweet. Non-anamorphic, OAR, english hack jobs. Then they were promptly pulled when rights issues came up. The only one I got was the original.

One would assume that most of these films are available on DVD in Japan or China, unedited and with original language. But I can't seem to find them! Do they exist?

Especially The first 5 films and Godzilla 1985

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
GODZILLA 1985

Catalog No.: TDV-2645D

Media: DVD

Number of discs (or other units): 1

Release Date: 2002/04/25

Price: 6300Yen(48.65 USD)

Region 2

Subtitles: Japanese

NTSC Format

Audio Track :

Japanese /Dolby Digital /Surround

Japanese /5.1ch

OUCH!

I have access to a region free player, But 50 bucks for a DVD with no english subtitles? Any other alternatives for a dumb american?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately Japanese native movies from Japan usually start around $30US

Someone may adapt some of the fansub scripts for DVDSubber at some point, but this is really your only option

Jim Rykel

Agent
Is the original version of Godzilla/Gojira (the one without the Raymond Burr stuff) available in Region 1 anywhere?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes

On 35mm film (with subtitles!)

That's it. Fearful of reverse importation Toho refuses to allow the film to be released intact with OSL outside Japan

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
DVD Savant has explored this issue at his website.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/spec.html
Toho Studios is just so damned protective, to the point of depriving foreign fans of these titles and others, like the original, widescreen & stereo sound Mothra, Mysterians, Battle in Outer Space, Gorath, Atragon, Latitude Zero, Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster. Anchor Bay is trying and trying for rights.
All we can do is continue to show interest and lobby.

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Have you tried the 1990's Gamera trilogy box set? It is awesome! It is anamoprphic 1:85 , DD 5.1 , and has English subtitles. The newer Gamera trilogy is some of the best kaiju movies out of japan in the past 15 years.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
My Gamera movie watching only goes as far as the ones viewed on MST3K;)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I just picked up "The Mysterians"(DVD-R) in widescreen and DD 2.0. It's the original Japanese version with English dubbing. Of course it's not the Toho version in 16x9, DD 5.1, but it's better than nothing.

As long as they are Region 2, we don't have a chance.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You picked up a DVD-R copy of the film................

Why don't we have a chance as long as they are region 2? It's not the fault of the region coding

Toho won't let them release proper Japanese langage/uncut versions in other countries, but at the same time refuses to/is asked by their licensees not to provide the same with English subtitles on their releases. Why? Because once a proper version is out there, no one will be interested in the domestic ones.

Toho just needs to take their head out of their ass and make their prices more competative

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks