Godzilla DAMM, shipping early?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RANDY FISHER, Oct 9, 2002.

1. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

I was just over at the EBworld web site and it says that Gdozilla for the gamecube is shipping. It was supposed to ship on the 15th. I will have to call my local EB later and see if they are getting it early. Anyone else hear if it was released early?

Randy

2. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Frickin cool! It looks like it is shipped!! I need to get it...

3. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

Well that answers that. I just went out at lunch and picked it up. Can't wait until tonight when I get to try it out. Damn, and I planned to go to the gym after work. I'll have to hury thru my workout.
    Randy[​IMG]

4. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

I can't wait to hear your impressions Randy. [​IMG]
    IGN has posted their Godzilla: DAMM review(insiders only) and they gave it an 8.4. Here are some highlights from their review:
    Gameplay:

5. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

(dribbling onto the keyboard)

Shit! Now I need a new keyboard.....................................and a copy of Godzilla.

6. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Lol now i need to pick up Godzilla as well. Add it to the list

capt

7. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

Sounds like IGN described it pretty well. I picked it up yesterday and it is the most fun my friends and I have had in a long time.

8. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

OK, I got to try it out last night for a short while. The intro is pretty cool though it's pre-rendered using the in game engine and subject to compression artifacts because of it. I hate when game developers do this, oh well. At least the sound is rock'in.

I tried out the adventure mode (1 player) and it had it's own pretty lame intro. But the game it self is a Godzilla fan's wet dream. You initially get to pick from (3) different kaiju (Godzilla 90's, Megalon and Gigan I think)with the rest needing to be unlocked as you progress. The game then takes you to one of the fighting aren's for some monster butt whoop-in. The control of the monsters is pretty darn good and the arsenal of moves, throws and projectile attacks are nicely varied. It's so awesome to "charge up" Big G's atomic breath attack and unleash it on an approaching opponent. You can aim it with the C stick. Most of the good monsters from the movies are there in some fashion (King Ghidora, and Mech King G, Godzilla 90's and 2000, Destroyer, Gigan, Megalon, Rodan, Anguirus, Mechagodzilla, Hedora and Mothra appears as a called in power up for support).

The sound on this thing rocks the house. The game is in Pro logic II and the bass is pumped up. When the monsters move and slam each other into buildings my sub-woofer was shaking the floor. The game music is very good but is not the authentic Godzilla movie music we have come to know and love. Maybe that would be a cool unlock-able secret. The monsters yells on the other had are sampled right from the movies. Hearing Rodan's screech as he swoops in over the stage almost brings a tear to my eye.

I have yet to try some multiplayer and some further impressions as I get more in to the game will follow but if you are a G-fan go get this game! If you don't have a Cube and are a G-fan it's reason enough to buy one.

Randy

9. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

10. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Time to put my new Amazon CC to some use :)

11. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I bought this yesterday and Man is it addictive. I wound up playing for 5 straight hours. I only have two complaints. You only start out with three characters (Godzilla 1990's, Megalon, and Anguirus) and have to unlock more monsters and cities in Adventure mode (which I did, but somehow they did not save, so the next time I turned on the GC, my new monsters (Godzilla 2000, Destroyah, and King Ghidra) were not available.

Still, this game kicks some serious ass!

12. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Guys, you're late on this one. It's been in stores (& in my home) for over a week in many locations. It's a great, great game. There's just something cool about this much destruction.

13. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Camp i totally agree. I cannot recommend this game enough. I love playing the game by myself but the multi player is where the hours really kick in

capt

14. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

Gamespot gave it a 6.9. Then you read the "reader" reviews which were all over 9. Gamespot can bite me, I happen to love it as will all kaiju fans.

Randy

15. LarryDavenport

Have any of you figured out how to "save." I am tired of having to play Adventure mode for a couple hours each time to unlock characters.

16. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

Larry, I assume you do have a memory card?

When you start Adventure mode the game ask's you if you want to save and then set's up a save file on the card. When you unlock stuff, cities, monters, gallery pics, it auto saves to that file. You do have to actually complete the game with your alotment of continues to unlock a character. You can't really "save" your position.

Randy

17. LarryDavenport

Yes I have a memory card (several in fact) and the first time I played it asked if I wanted to save and I said yes. Now the question I guess is, how do I load the saved games?