Godzilla and Peter Jackson

Discussion in 'Movies' started by StevenFC, Dec 15, 2005.

1. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Am I wrong or does someone need to talk Peter Jackson and Toho into making an old school Godzilla?

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Honestly....No, I want Peter to get back to making smaller more intimate films as he said he had a desire to do. Big is fine but I hope he has another Heavenly Creatures in him...and I know he does.

3. Jake Yenor

Jake Yenor Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't have to be PJ but the original film really deserves a GOOD remake. Something that still takes place in Japan in the 1950's. Modern day NYC ruins the WWII sense to the character.

4. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

No studio would greenlight that this soon after the 1998 debacle.

Peter's next movie (Directing) will probably be The Lovely Bones.

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

You're wrong.

6. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Peter needs to do some original work now.

7. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    ^ Completely agree. After adapting the three LOTR books and remaking KK, time to do something real creative. Not saying what was done wasn't creative...it's just not original, let's put it that way.

8. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

NO, I'd really like to see THE HOBBIT next!!!

9. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

There's a big difference between King Kong and Godzilla. Just because there has been a King Kong vs. Godzilla movie doesn't mean that the movies of the individual characters should be put on the same level. I think Godzilla is "beneath" Peter Jackson, because while the original King Kong was an excellent movie with a great story, the same cannot be said for a Godzilla movie. I have only seen one Godzilla movie (Godzilla vs. Mothra), and it was one of the stupidest movies I have ever seen, and I seriously doubt any of the Godzilla movies are much better. I think Godzilla movies are loved because some consider them "cheesy fun", ignoring their lackluster stories, goofy acting, and inept special effects, because they find those qualities endearing.

King Kong (1933), on the other hand, is a classic. I can completely understand why the 1933 version of King Kong (I haven't seen the 70s version) is so revered, but the fandom for Godzilla seems silly to me, since I thought the Godzilla movie I saw was so horrible that it was almost unwatchable. I was not charmed by its awful special effects, and while I admit that some of the ridiculously over-the-top acting amused me a little bit, for the most part, I found it annoying.

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

, this is the man who made Braindead and Bad Taste.

11. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I'm with Lew. I saw the original Japanese cut of Gojira last year (the one WITHOUT Raymond Burr, ugh.) and it is, in fact, a VERY serious film and one that could stand a remake.

Unlike Kong (in any version), however, Godzilla doesn't have action film elements. It isn't an adventure, it's a science-fiction story. Plus, I'm not sure this is a time when the symbolic resonances of Godzilla would be most affecting (although the concept of poking around in areas you don't quite understand and having it come back to threaten you probably has some currency right now.) As a result, it's a tough sell.

The American remake in the '90s tried to rework the entire story as an action film and (although I'm one of two or three people in the world that actually enjoy this movie), the resultant film was just another big monster thriller with no real meaning and no distinction other than CGI effects.

12. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I may be misreading some people here but I get the impression that some folks are suggesting that Peter Jackson is only interested in directing "action/adventure" films....couldn't disagree more if that is the case, he has a lot more to offer as a director than that.

13. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

it would be interesting to see The Lovely Bones made

14. Brent T

Brent T Second Unit

As a horror fan, I am waiting for Bad Taste 2 [​IMG]

15. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I didn't care for The Lovely Bones, though I love Alice Sebold's nonfiction. I too would rather not see another "epic spectacle" from Jackson (right away), so this is better than something like Godzilla, which would leave me completely cold.

16. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I want Peter Jackson to remake The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms next, it was the success of that film in 1953 that inspired the Japanese to create Gojira. Yes I would like to see a 195min version of 'The Beast from 20,00 Fathoms' with Andy Serkis. who else, 'pantomiming' the movements of the Rhedosaurus. I can already visualise the production diaries... Serkis visiting a zoo, waiting and waiting for an iguana to do something, anything.

17. Mark Schmitt

Mark Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

I wanna see him do Attack Of The The Eye Creatures.

18. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

It's good to see that some folks agree with me. It would be nice to see someone do an update of the original. And it would befit a story like Godzilla to have it directed by someone who can do action and story. Ridley Scott would be another good choice. I'd also say Spielberg, but I'm not sure that he would deliver the right touch considering the less than satisfying WotW.

19. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

....no offence (honestly) but who exactly "agreed" with you....ahh, sorry, "anyone" should do a good remake. I understand.

Personally, I would rather see the original uncut Gojira finally get a DVD release in R1.

20. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson

You're just as wrongheaded about the quality of those two films as Ocean Phoenix is wrongheaded about Godzilla IMO. BRAIN DEAD, in particular, is one of the most inventive and successful horror comedies ever made. Brilliantly written, shot, edited, acted, directed, and scored. Nothing to be remotely ashamed of. In fact, it's my second fave Jackson film after HEAVENLY CREATURES, which is simply one of the finest films ever lensed IMO.