What's new

Godzilla a little help on what to buy? (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Alot of trailers and clips at the link Martin provided.

It just doesnt seem right though - watching Godzilla without those great Akira Ifukube scores:frowning:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

My bad, Joe... I just got my first Wega tv a couple of months back, and was cataloging my not-so-small dvd collection for the 16x9 transfers. I sampled the discs themselves, as I don't always trust what the packaging says, but my notes (made at that time) must've confused the anamorphic transfers on the two GAMERA sequels with the first film, and had all three listed as 16x9. Having just checked the discs again a few minutes ago, yes, GAMERA: GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE is non-anamorphic widescreen, while GAMERA VS. LEGION and REVENGE OF IRIS are both 16x9 anamorphic.

Sorry for the initial misinformation.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Oh, and some more info on one of the non-Godzilla flicks I listed above, TERROR BENEATH THE SEA (1966), which is coming to R1 in October, but didn't have any info on the dvd's technical specs. Dark Sky Films just updated their website, and has the lowdown on the disc:

http://www.darkskyfilms.com/Display.asp?ID=12

Here's IMDB's listing for TERROR BENEATH THE SEA:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060580/

On the plus side, the dvd will be anamorphic, but on the minus side, they give an aspect ratio of 1.85:1, while IMDB says the film was shot in 2.35:1 Toei-Scope (which makes sense; nearly every Japanese film of the 1960s, especially genre fare, was shot in 'scope). Apparently, this flick was shown on the Monsters HD channel (their logo is on the dvd box cover art) in the recent past, so perhaps Dark Sky Films were stuck with a modified HD transfer (made to "fill" a 1.78:1 screen).

It also looks like it will be the English-language version. Supposedly, there were two versions of TERROR BENEATH THE SEA shot, one in English, and one in Japanese, rather than the usual dub job over a Japanese-language source print.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Here is what I have: There may be better import versions of some of these titles available through overseas retailers. For us here in the USA, these are (IMO) the best versions to get. Ive got most of em.

These are the 1956-1975 titles only. (The Showa Series) Ill add titles as I have time.

Godzilla, King of the Monsters Heavily edited americanized version. The original japanese version has been released theatrically, but not yet to DVD. No news if they will. I have an "imported" DVD of the original version with english subs. The american version pales in comparison.

Godzilla Raids Again B&W, OAR 1.33:1 OOP VHS. DVD copies are bootlegs or imports. Although dubbed, I dont believe ane scenes have been cut, other than the altered opening credits.

King Kong vs Godzilla. Out of Print pan and scan English dub version, which is also heavily edited compared to the original japanese cut. I reccomend getting the japanese audio version with english subtitles on ebay. They pop up quite often.

EDIT: The american version is now been released OAR with english audio by universal

Godzilla vs mothra Out of Print, non anamorphic widescreen, english dub only. Simitar never had the rights to release these, so Toho stopped simitar pretty quick. This title is the highest demand one from simitars releases

Ghidrah, The Three Headed Monster There was an version of this title at one time, which contained the widescreen english dub, but I cant find record of it on any retailer. It has popped up on ebay from time to time. The imorted version with japanese audio, english subtitles has been ebay as well.

Godzilla vs monster zero Out of print. non anamorphic widescreen. English dub.

Godzilla vs the Sea Monster Remastered,anamorphic widescreen , japanese and english audio tracks, as well as english subtitles. VERY WELL DONE

Son Of Godzilla Remastered,anamorphic widescreen , japanese and english audio tracks, as well as english subtitles. VERY WELL DONE

Destroy All Monsters In print. Widescreen. Dont know if its anamorphic. Im pretty sure its English dub only.

Godzillas Revenge OOP simitar DVD. Non anamorphic english Dub.

Godzilla vs Hedorah aka Godzilla vs The Smog Monster Remastered,anamorphic widescreen , japanese and english audio tracks, as well as english subtitles. VERY WELL DONE

Godzilla vs Gigan Remastered,anamorphic widescreen , japanese and english audio tracks, as well as english subtitles. VERY WELL DONE

Godzilla vs Megalon All DVDs I Know of are crappy pan and scan. THe Sci Fi Channel has been showing this title frequently , widescreen english dub.

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla Remastered,anamorphic widescreen , japanese and english audio tracks, as well as english subtitles. VERY WELL DONE

Terror Of Mechagodzilla There is a simitar release of thes title, but I have not seen it, so I dont know if its widescreen. There is also a sony released pan and scan english dub dvd.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
The real standouts of the titles mentioned above are

Godzilla vs The Sea Monster
Son of Godzilla
Godzilla vs Gigan
Godzilla vs Hedorah
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla

They were all released within the last year by columbia, and all of them contain superb anamorphic transfers, as well as japanese and english audio tracks. English subs as well. I only hope we get more of these spectacular presentations.

One word of warning, if you grew up watching the americanized versions of these movies, the aformentioned DVDs may be jolt to your system. The english dubs may be a little different, as well as the music cues, etc. These are the original cuts after all.

Philip Klein

Stunt Coordinator

I don't think that's right, simitar released the American International Pictures (i think) versions of these films.

hell i can't really remember, maybe you're right

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator

According to Rialto Pictures' website (www.rialtopictures.com) a print is touring the US through October.

I've been hoping for a DVD release since I first saw the trailer for this restoration well over a year ago. Not to unduly get anyone's hope up, but Rialto proudly proclaims that they only release DVDs through Criterion and Home Vision (Criterion's parent company, recently acquired by Image). If it ever does see the light of day on DVD here in the states, it should be quite a treat!

Justin

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
It looks like Criterion has released alot of Rialtos projects... hope hope....A criterion release of Gojira.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks