Godzilla a little help on what to buy?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Emma, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

I been meaning to explore japanese Kaiju films(is that the right term?) or in other words Japanese Monster flicks but have no idea where to start. I've been espcially interested in checking out Godzilla films. But considering he's been around for 50 years and there is more than one version of the original godzilla film again I have no idea where to start. Also whether to buy the discs sony puts out or to get discs in another region. Is there a website or guide for this subject?

2. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    I believe there's an Australian DVD out of the original Godzilla (1954), uncut with English subtitles. That's the only way to go for that one, unless you want the Americanized re-edit with Raymond Burr, which is available from Classic Media. Other than that, you can't go wrong with the Columbia releases of G VS. HEDORAH, G. VS. MECHAGODZILLA, G. VS. EBIRAH, and SON OF G. All other American Godzilla DVDs are garbage...pan&scan from lousy prints, except for the way out-of-print widescreen Simitar DVDs of G VS. MOTHRA, G VS. MONSTER ZERO, and G'S REVENGE, and even those are plagued with artifacts from crappy encoding (they were very early releases, circa 1998). Classic Media claims to have plans to rectify this by re-releasing all their currently substandard G titles remastered and in widescreen.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Someone here, about a year ago I think, mentioned that The entire set was going to be released in Japan, but it was a little pricey.

As it stands now, 5 of them have never been released in the US, but I think one of those is due out late this year. 4 were P&S only.

You should try to find out about that box set before you get any individual titles.

Glenn

4. Med

Med Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure I've read that the Japanese Box Set has no English language tracks & no English subs! Fine if you speak fluent Japanese but otherwise pretty useless.

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I've been considering the R4 Aussie release for some time but was hoping that something special would be in store for North America if I just had patience and held off...

Does it look like we will EVER see justice done to a release of the ORIGINAL Japanese feature, with original restored audio tracks and English language subs?

I've waited this long and am not in any immediate hurry to purchase, but would really like to own a decent restored released of the original Gojira on DVD soon.

Should I just shell out for the Australian disc or continue to have faith?

7. Porfirio

Porfirio Second Unit

I know that last year, here in the U.S., there was a limited theatrical run of the original, uncut Godzilla (50th Anniversary Edition?). Anyone know if it is ever going to see a DVD release here in the States?

8. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Actually, there's one other classic-era (1954-1975) Godzilla flick out there in R1 that is in widescreen:

ADV Films' disc of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS (1968, english-dubbed), though it is a non-anamorphic transfer.

Also, of the post-1975 Godzilla films, one of the best R1 disc releases is Sony/Columbia's GODZILLA-MOTHRA-KING GHIDORAH: ALL-OUT ATTACK (2001, 16x9, subbed/dubbed).

Apart from that, some related R1 dvds of classic non-Godzilla monster/sci-fi Toho Studios films to consider:

RODAN (1957, OAR 1.33:1/dubbed) Classic Media/Sony Wonder
    THE MYSTERIANS (1957, 16x9 anamorphic, subbed/dubbed) Media-Blasters
    VARAN THE UNBELIEVABLE (1958, 16x9, subtitled) Media-Blasters
    ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE (1963, 16x9, subbed/dubbed) Media-Blasters
    DOGORA THE SPACE MONSTER (1964, 16x9, subbed/dubbed) Media-Blasters

--And some non-Toho Japanese genre stuff from the 1950s & 1960s:

STARMAN VOL. 1: ATTACK FROM SPACE (1958) / EVIL BRAIN FROM OUTER SPACE (1958, both films english-dubbed) Image/Something Weird*
    STARMAN VOL. 2: INVADERS FROM SPACE (1959) / ATOMIC RULERS (1959, both films english-dubbed) Image/Something Weird*
    DAIMAJIN (1966, non-anamorphic widescreen, subtitled) ADV Films**
    RETURN OF DAIMAJIN (1966, non-anamorphic widescreen, subtitled) ADV Films**
    WRATH OF DAIMAJIN (1966, non-anamorphic widescreen, subtitled) ADV Films**
    GAPPA (1967, non-anamorphic widescreen, subbed/dubbed) Media-Blasters
    YOKAI MONSTERS: SPOOK WARFARE (1968, 16x9, subtitled) ADV Films
    YOKAI MONSTERS: 100 MONSTERS (1968, 16x9, subtitled) ADV Films
    YOKAI MONSTERS: ALONG WITH GHOSTS (1969, 16x9, subtitled) ADV Films

--Plus a similar 1970s Hong Kong effort (made to cash-in on the 1976 KING KONG):

THE MIGHTY PEKING MAN (1977, 16x9, dubbed) Miramax

--And the best Japanese giant monster films of the 1990s:

GAMERA: GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE (1995, 16x9, subbed/dubbed) ADV Films
    GAMERA 2: ATTACK OF LEGION (1996, 16x9, subbed/dubbed) ADV Films
    GAMERA 3: REVENGE OF IRIS (1999, 16x9, subbed/dubbed) ADV Films

These are scheduled to come out in Oct '05:

YOG, MONSTER FROM SPACE (1970, 16x9, subbed/dubbed) Media-Blasters
    TERROR BENEATH THE SEA (1966, specs unknown) Dark Sky Films

* STARMAN is a somewhat unique situation, as Japanese film imports go; the were originally short-run theatrical serials (about 3-5 chapters long), that were radically cobbled together into 4 ersatz/wacky feature films by their American distributor. Some of the serial chapters had an OAR of 1.33:1, others were 2.35:1, but were presented in the USA as a uniform 1.33:1 ratio. So they're a weird half-OAR/half P&S hybrid product, bastardizations of the original storylines, but at the same time, almost new films created (through editing and rewriting/dubbing) out of raw footage. Thus, unless someone releases them in their original serial form, with subtitles and/or a new dub track, this is the way to see them, at least from an American viewpoint.

** The three DAIMAJIN flicks were originally released by ADV in a set, all in non-anamorphic widescreen. They were subsequently re-issued as individual discs with anamorphic transfers.

9. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I had read that those 3 DAIMAJIN re-releases were 1.85:1 instead of 2.35:1. Can you confirm that?

10. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Sorry, I can't confirm that info firsthand, Mark. I have the old non-anamorphic DAIMAJIN set, where all the films were properly 2.35:1.

I'd heard (via the web) that the anamorphic re-release of the first film was correctly 2.35:1, but that the anamorphic re-issue of RETURN OF DAIMAJIN and/or WRATH OF DAIMAJIN might've been incorrectly transferred at 1.85:1 ratio. I've seen nothing so far about a fix. I'd love to have them in 16x9, but stayed away because of the wrong-ratio rumors out there.

11. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

The last time I checked this IS NOT 16x9.

12. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    Correct, the ADV DVD of GGOTU uses their old master, the same one as the VHS, despite the packaging erroneously claiming otherwise. Why they didn't just port over the new Japanese DVD master (like they did for the other two films) is a mystery to me.

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

???

14. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

If anyone can help, I'd love to see the trailer to Godzilla Final Wars.

15. Martin S

Martin S Stunt Coordinator

Check out www.tokyomonsters.com
    Some great clips there of FINAL WARS and more.
    Also, just another vote for the GODZILLA,MOTHRA,KING GHIDORAH dvd. One of the very best of the recent films.

16. TedT

TedT Second Unit

Yeah, I third the GODZILLA,MOTHRA,KING GHIDORAH recommendation.

Saw "Final Wars" over the weekend. Took over an hour for Godzilla to show up!

17. Martin S

Martin S Stunt Coordinator

>>Saw "Final Wars" over the weekend. Took over an hour for Godzilla to show up!>>>

This one has really divided Godzilla fans. Yep the big G takes ages to show and, for all the monsters that appear in it, they all get very littel screen time, But i still loved it.When they are on screen its sheer magic and the other bits are quite entertaining as well.

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Yeah, I loved it, but talked to a lot of people who didn't. Of course, I loved it just as much for being a crazy Ryuhei Kitamura film as for being a crazy Godzilla movie, and a lot of folks who didn't like it aren't fans of Kitamura.

19. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Can someone please answer my question?

20. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Hard to say what to do. Sony/Columbia has hinted there's more Godzilla coming but they've been pretty tight-lipped about exactly what, and it's been quite a while since they've released anything new. The original Japanese version seems like a natural given the theatrical release (which incidentally played here as an inappropriate overmatted widescreen film---distracting and annoying) but maybe Toho has gone back to its unwillingness to license things, or maybe the classic releases they did failed to perform up to expectations. I'm being patient but if you need the original soon R4 seems to be the way to go.