1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

'Gods of Egypt' Review (Directed by Alex Proyas)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Yavin, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Yavin

Yavin Stunt Coordinator

Ben Mk
    Honestly, I thought the trailer for Gods of Egypt looked absolutely terrible. But surprisingly, the film is more or less watchable. Granted, it's pretty campy, but Gods of Egypt delivers a lighthearted fantasy-adventure that's more entertaining than you might think.

Here's my quick opinion of the film (Click here for the full review):

If you combined the DNA of Thor and Prince of Persia, you might end up with something that looks a lot like Gods of Egypt, a special effects laden fantasy-adventure from Alex Proyas, the director behind Dark City and I, Robot, and a film that's also indebted to action-adventures like Clash of the Titans and Stargate. Based loosely on one of the most well-known stories in Egyptian mythology, Gods of Egypt is, in essence, a reimagining of the Osiris myth as a kind of superhero origin story, portraying gods as towering, super-powered beings with gold coursing through their veins, with its central character being Horus (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau), the God of the Air. A would-be king who's robbed not only of his title, but also of his superhuman powers, Horus must earn it all back by taking the fight to his betrayer, the vengeful desert god Set (Gerard Butler). The result is far from original, but that's not to say that Gods of Egypt isn't moderately entertaining. From the looks of it, most of the film's $140 million budget has gone towards visual effects, meaning that moviegoers in the mood for a flashy, CGI-studded spectacle definitely won't be left disappointed, as there's certainly no shortage of scenes depicting epic landscapes, fantastical creatures and destruction on a generally massive scale. Sadly, the same can't be said about the film's performances, which range from the mediocre to the downright terrible. Still, given the movie's over-the-top premise and ambitious attempt at genre-blending, you can consider it something of a minor miracle that Gods of Egypt doesn't fare far, far worse.

Film Rating: 3 out of 5

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

This sucker's getting brutal reviews - looks like you enjoyed it more than most!

I'll probably see the Blu-ray! :)

3. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Two of my favorite YouTube reviewers - Jeremy Jahns and Chris Stuckman - just dumped all over this movie.

Stuckman did recommend purchasing the Blu-ray for the CGI action scenes and the "it's so bad it's good" narrative.

I think I'll take his advice.

dpippel likes this.
  4. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    The trailer was enough for me, the only way I'll ever watch this is if it shows up in Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime one day.

dpippel likes this.
  5. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    Saw it in 3D last night. I enjoyed it. It actually seemed to stay fairly true to the mythology (conflict between Horus and Set). For a popcorn flick it was good. Geoffrey Rush was good as usual. Rufus Sewell was underused.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Caught up with this last night, and would agree with the above. It was better than I expected. Lots of flashy FX, but it actually had a (mostly) coherent plot and was surprisingly emotional in a couple places. Geoffrey Rush is always fun to watch. His Barbossa is my favorite character in the Pirates films, and he's fun here as Ra.

7. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

Going by the trailer, this movie struck me as a Gargantuan Amounts of Weed sort of movie.

8. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I think you hit the nail squarely on the head Tony! ;)

9. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I caught this movie on DTV the other day and found it average and un-involving.

dpippel likes this.